Five Key Questions after Texas College

Mike

Guest CardAmbassador

You'll question the coaching staff about recruiting but not their coaching decisions? Now that is funny. So they have total control over who they sign? I mean, damn..why didn't they sign the top 50 players in the country...that has to be a coaching problem!!! lol

No, I will question them about it if it isn't greatly improved because there has been "time" and "circumstance" for the coaches to improve in this area.

The reason I will not bash the coaches for the job they're doing right now is because of "time" and "circumstance." We don't know anything more about this team after this first game because the competition and the weather were awful. I'm amazed that after a 58-0 win the only thing people seem do do now is question coach about a recruiting incident that happened probably 8 or so months ago. And accuse him of playing favorites to "Navarro" player Andre Bevil. Last time I checked all our players attend Lamar University. Don't forget that Daniel Campbell and J.J. Hayes are both "Navarro" guys too, but really they're Lamar Cardinals, or at least that is what their uniforms said last weekend.

And if you don't believe that JJ had done anything of merit read this from the spring game:

Johnson got his white team into the end zone early in the second quarter to make the score 14-7. The Silsbee product, who finished 9-of-10 for 159 yards, threw the first of two scoring strikes to Josh Powdrill from eight yards out to cap a six-play, 81-yard drive.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030311aaa.html

This was one of the reasons I came away impressed with JJ.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigred360
One thing about taking a walk-on is the kid needs to be willing to move positions. I have a strong feeling Doty wasn't willing. Why else would Coach Woodard deny him a shot at making the team? I guess Coach Woodard doesn't like PN-G players.:blink:

Guest bigred360
testiment- i think its pretty clear that johnson is long term QB in beaumont. plus they already had a young prewitt. i think he offered doty if they didnt have johnson. whether they made the right choice is up for debate but we cant fault them for not giving out another qb scholorship with what they already had on campus. forney doesnt count cause there was never intent on letting him play qb. wasnt he moved after the first practice to tight end? hes just a big body they figured could play another position. plus if lamar screweed up how about houston, tcu, baylor, texas a&m, rice, etc screw up because i dont think he was offered by any of them. i hope he blows up in oregon but i dont think lamar did anything wrong. they just went in another direction.

First off, he did not have to offer Doty a scholarship. Doty wanted to play for Lamar and was willing to walk on and was told by the coaching staff that they were not interested in him. Secondly, I do think all those other schools missed out on a great opportunity in Doty, but this is a Lamar fan site and I happen to be a fan of Lamar talking about Lamar football.

That's great that he wanted to play here, I'm sorry it didn't work out. The coaching staff chose to address different needs, notice that we didn't allow any more walk on QB's. They were probably comfortable with what we have at that position and were trying to address other needs (o line, defensive backs, etc.)

Thanks for being a Lamar football fan, at least that means you will continue to be a fan even if certain players don't get on the team. We can't say that about everyone.

Well I am a fan and an alum. I think that gives me the right to question some of the coaching decisions. Look I am not questioning Woodard's knowledge level or love of his job, but I am questioning his ability as a HC. Now I am not oblivious to the simple aspect of "he is starting a program from the ground up". I realize this and wish him the best. But as a former coach, I understand the very importance of reconizing and utilizing your talent. This is an area that alot of coaches have a hard time with. In the little time that he has had to do this, I think this is his biggest weakness thus far and maybe his only. He can overcome this just as many HC's do by having a capable coaching staff in which he listens to. I am not saying he does not, but then again we are still having this conversation.

You mean taking a big ten linebacker and putting him at defensive end may not have been the smartest move? Or taking Chavis and trying to make him a tight end may not be the best use of his skills? Or, making arguably your best defensive lineman a backup this year? Or your best starting qb now 3rd string? What about moving Ploch to linebacker..nah, that is really smart. Well, thank goodness I'm not a coach because I know nothing about football...whew.

I guess you didn't follow Billy Chavis in HS as he played DE, LB, QB and RB. So, I think he has the ability to play TE.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chavis_billy00.html

Guest bigred360
Dude, all I can go by is what I see on the field. You can go with the hype/reputation of JJ, you can go with Bevil because if his great game against McNeese or you can go with the one that gas performed the best on the field

..prewitt.

No man, I go with the coaches decision because I wouldn't want them telling me how to take care of a cardiac patient. They have forgot more than I know about the game of football. LOL

wah wah wah. would you like a little cheese with that whine? by the way, south alabama is still undefeated.

The only person I see crying on this site is you. At least theTestament makes some sense and not just crying about Doty. By the way, I know South Alabama is still undefeated.

Hopefully, that will change this weekend.

Guest bigred360
testiment- i think its pretty clear that johnson is long term QB in beaumont. plus they already had a young prewitt. i think he offered doty if they didnt have johnson. whether they made the right choice is up for debate but we cant fault them for not giving out another qb scholorship with what they already had on campus. forney doesnt count cause there was never intent on letting him play qb. wasnt he moved after the first practice to tight end? hes just a big body they figured could play another position. plus if lamar screweed up how about houston, tcu, baylor, texas a&m, rice, etc screw up because i dont think he was offered by any of them. i hope he blows up in oregon but i dont think lamar did anything wrong. they just went in another direction.

First off, he did not have to offer Doty a scholarship. Doty wanted to play for Lamar and was willing to walk on and was told by the coaching staff that they were not interested in him. Secondly, I do think all those other schools missed out on a great opportunity in Doty, but this is a Lamar fan site and I happen to be a fan of Lamar talking about Lamar football.

That's great that he wanted to play here, I'm sorry it didn't work out. The coaching staff chose to address different needs, notice that we didn't allow any more walk on QB's. They were probably comfortable with what we have at that position and were trying to address other needs (o line, defensive backs, etc.)

Thanks for being a Lamar football fan, at least that means you will continue to be a fan even if certain players don't get on the team. We can't say that about everyone.

Well I am a fan and an alum. I think that gives me the right to question some of the coaching decisions. Look I am not questioning Woodard's knowledge level or love of his job, but I am questioning his ability as a HC. Now I am not oblivious to the simple aspect of "he is starting a program from the ground up". I realize this and wish him the best. But as a former coach, I understand the very importance of reconizing and utilizing your talent. This is an area that alot of coaches have a hard time with. In the little time that he has had to do this, I think this is his biggest weakness thus far and maybe his only. He can overcome this just as many HC's do by having a capable coaching staff in which he listens to. I am not saying he does not, but then again we are still having this conversation.

You mean taking a big ten linebacker and putting him at defensive end may not have been the smartest move? Or taking Chavis and trying to make him a tight end may not be the best use of his skills? Or, making arguably your best defensive lineman a backup this year? Or your best starting qb now 3rd string? What about moving Ploch to linebacker..nah, that is really smart. Well, thank goodness I'm not a coach because I know nothing about football...whew.

Oh, and the defensive lineman last season played at 250 lbs and his replacement is 295 lbs. I would think a knowledgable fan would understand as the team gets better some players will lose their starting position. LOL

Glad we can agree...

One thing about taking a walk-on is the kid needs to be willing to move positions. I have a strong feeling Doty wasn't willing. Why else would Coach Woodard deny him a shot at making the team? I guess Coach Woodard doesn't like PN-G players.:blink:

LOL!!! Dude you are cracking me up. Two words here.....Talent Evaluation.

With those two words you just sprung on us (assuming you think no one has ever thought of that), do you not think that maybe he thought JJ was a better pick? If the need to evaluate talent was there, I'm sure he did his due diligence to be sure about his new QB. Do you think he just sat Doty down in his office and said, "No, we cannot do anything with your abilities here."? I'm more than certain that is not what happened.

No fan roots for their team to lose. None. So if you're condoning this, then I don't really have anything more to say.

And what in the first part of my post has anything to do with truth?? It's about respect for your team. I can't believe anyone would say that.

Obviously you have missed the point in my statement. If we would have lost, then the future teams would have had better coaching.

Guest bigred360

I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

With those two words you just sprung on us (assuming you think no one has ever thought of that), do you not think that maybe he thought JJ was a better pick? If the need to evaluate talent was there, I'm sure he did his due diligence to be sure about his new QB. Do you think he just sat Doty down in his office and said, "No, we cannot do anything with your abilities here."? I'm more than certain that is not what happened.

That is my point. His or his staff's talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. If it was not, then we would not be talking about this subject. Leave Doty out of the equation and you still have a QB debate. Everyone seems to think one is better than the other and more so of the two who are not starting.

Guest CardAmbassador

I'm not sure about racial motivations but there are several on here that are being more loyal to their hometown than the team. That's for sure.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/allaccess/

This is the allaccess site, you can go back and watch Jeremy Johnson against TC. The guy has some serious athleticism! 43:00 minute mark is where Johnson first comes in. Also again look at Johnson's stats in the spring game and in the fall scrimmages, he was not bad, he didn't turn over the ball much either.

He throws a bullet to Kye at the 50:00 minute mark, the guy is good.

I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

Come on, MAN!!! RACE??? Give me a freaking break! Dude I am the least racist person you could ever meet. My favorite college QB was super man himself.....Vince Young. I still think he could make it in the pros if he was in the right situation. I thought we were having an educated debate over Lamar football, so please leave the ignorance at home.

That is my point. His or his staff's talent evaluation is questionable to say the least. If it was not, then we would not be talking about this subject. Leave Doty out of the equation and you still have a QB debate. Everyone seems to think one is better than the other and more so of the two who are not starting.

Having 3 quarterbacks fighting for the starting position is not a bad thing, buddy. They could all stand to be great. What have they done besides go 5-6 last year (which is outstanding) to make you think they have questionable talent evaluation? Give it two or three games, and if they are winning, you may want to re-evaluate your closed-minded homer attitude. Even though Bevil is from Navarro, keep in mind he went to WO-S. He is local also.

You have no proof that his staff's talent evaluation is questionable. We are talking about this currently because you and "cardinal" seem to think that shutting out the first opponent of the season by 58 points is a horrible start to a season. NO ONE else is talking bad about Lamar's progress right now on here. Wait until they do something (AT LEAST ONE THING) wrong before you turn on your so-called alma mater.

Guest CardAmbassador

Having 3 quarterbacks fighting for the starting position is not a bad thing, buddy. They could all stand to be great. What have they done besides go 5-6 last year (which is outstanding) to make you think they have questionable talent evaluation? Give it two or three games, and if they are winning, you may want to re-evaluate your closed-minded homer attitude. Even though Bevil is from Navarro, keep in mind he went to WO-S. He is local also.

You have no proof that his staff's talent evaluation is questionable. We are talking about this currently because you and "cardinal" seem to think that shutting out the first opponent of the season by 58 points is a horrible start to a season. NO ONE else is talking bad about Lamar's progress right now on here. Wait until they do something (AT LEAST ONE THING) wrong before you turn on your so-called alma mater.

Amen, if we lose this weekend I would expect debate like this. But lets see what they do against South Alabama first.

Amen, if we lose this weekend I would expect debate like this. But lets see what they do against South Alabama first.

CA, I donated! Give me my red banner!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest CardAmbassador

I don't control that, Mike does, I would text him and tell him but I have no phone for the next few days.

I still won't pin my faith in Woodard and Co. on this weekend's game. I know that isn't what you meant either, but I am glad Woodard is in charge. He seems to like Beaumont and LU. If this game is close, I'll be content (not happy).

Guest bigred360

Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

Funny to hear your all-time favorite QB is Vince Young. He played at UT, right?

Ignorance if a something I was just thinking about you. If you think Johnson didn't deserve a scholarship ahead of Doty there is somthing stupid in that statement.

I don't control that, Mike does, I would text him and tell him but I have no phone for the next few days.

Ha ha, I PM'ed him. I'd do it regardless. No problem...

Hey he just sent me a reply and said he would do it this evening because he is in meetings all day today.

Here's a question...why do people so strongly believe that getting a local guy is the best thing? Think about this for a second. If you have two guys being recruited for the same position who are about the same talent-wise, I can see the reason in getting the local guy (cost in recruiting considerably less, etc.). However, let's say we have a 2-star from Orange and a 3-star from Panama City, FL. They would both be good additions to Lamar, but the FL recruit is clearly better. Who do you take?

Before you tell me that everyone would obviously choose the FL recruit, slow down and really think about it. How many times have we heard about people wanting LU to recruit locals? I would hope everyone would believe that the BETTER PLAYER is who we want on the team, but I just do not know sometimes.

Also, recruits from other places only helps LU's exposure. Quite honestly, if some of the locals want to play here, they can drive over to Lamar and talk to Woodard without him ever calling them. People across the country can't do that. Locals know Lamar. Don't we want to get the publicity of Lamar out there past the Golden Triangle?

EDIT: This is directed at NO ONE. I'm just curious.

Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

Funny to hear your all-time favorite QB is Vince Young. He played at UT, right?

Dude, I have a half black/half white niece. Grow up.

He did play for UT and maybe you forgot, but Lamar did not have a team for 20 years. And yes, I am a fan of UT. As a matter of fact, I am a member of orangebloods.com as a few who frequent this website are. What is your point?