Five Key Questions after Texas College

Mike

Guest CardAmbassador
Here's a question...why do people so strongly believe that getting a local guy is the best thing? Think about this for a second. If you have two guys being recruited for the same position who are about the same talent-wise, I can see the reason in getting the local guy (cost in recruiting considerably less, etc.). However, let's say we have a 2-star from Orange and a 3-star from Panama City, FL. They would both be good additions to Lamar, but the FL recruit is clearly better. Who do you take?

Before you tell me that everyone would obviously choose the FL recruit, slow down and really think about it. How many times have we heard about people wanting LU to recruit locals? I would hope everyone would believe that the BETTER PLAYER is who we want on the team, but I just do not know sometimes.

Also, recruits from other places only helps LU's exposure. Quite honestly, if some of the locals want to play here, they can drive over to Lamar and talk to Woodard without him ever calling them. People across the country can't do that. Locals know Lamar. Don't we want to get the publicity of Lamar out there past the Golden Triangle?

EDIT: This is directed at NO ONE. I'm just curious.

I wouldn't use a two star or three star rating to say someone is clearly better but I know what you were getting at.

Here is my question say you have a 3 star player from Beaumont and a 3 star player from mid-county that play the same position, which do you take? Both or just one?

It was a trick question, neither because if you take both, one of them will not start, and someone will get their feelings hurt, likewise if you only recruit one of them.

This is very tongue and cheek but my point is that if this is the future of Lamar football (appeasing every local HS fan base) then being a fan is going to get really old. Because all I care about is LAMAR FOOTBALL, and as fans that's got to be your number one concern. If it's not, your probably not really a fan, you can go cheer for Oregon and call yourself duck.

Lamar University athletics are supported by student fees above all other funding sources, no one subset of HS fans is going to end LU football. Last time I checked Lamar had record enrollments for several years straight and is staring another record campus enrollment in the face (just a few more days!!)

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigred360
Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

Funny to hear your all-time favorite QB is Vince Young. He played at UT, right?

Dude, I have a half black/half white niece. Grow up.

He did play for UT and maybe you forgot, but Lamar did not have a team for 20 years. And yes, I am a fan of UT. As a matter of fact, I am a member of orangebloods.com as a few who frequent this website are. What is your point?

Dude, that is a stupid comment. Ask any black man if he thinks you having a half black/half white niece makes you not racial they'll laugh in your face.

Can we get back to the five key questions after Texas College.

I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

Here let me educate you on a little on recruiting. Its called the three tier system.

The words of Craig Stump....

"What happens a lot of times with the smaller schools is they wait until after (Signing Day) to see who has fallen through that they didn't think they'd have a chance to recruit," said West Brook coach Craig Stump. "All of those schools just now start recruiting because there's no sense in trying to recruit somebody who is being talked to by a bigger school or even thinks that he's going to go to a bigger school. So you wait and then you see who is available."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Top-Unsigned-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-992880.php#ixzz1XIWSGUlv

Here's a question...why do people so strongly believe that getting a local guy is the best thing? Think about this for a second. If you have two guys being recruited for the same position who are about the same talent-wise, I can see the reason in getting the local guy (cost in recruiting considerably less, etc.). However, let's say we have a 2-star from Orange and a 3-star from Panama City, FL. They would both be good additions to Lamar, but the FL recruit is clearly better. Who do you take?

Before you tell me that everyone would obviously choose the FL recruit, slow down and really think about it. How many times have we heard about people wanting LU to recruit locals? I would hope everyone would believe that the BETTER PLAYER is who we want on the team, but I just do not know sometimes.

Also, recruits from other places only helps LU's exposure. Quite honestly, if some of the locals want to play here, they can drive over to Lamar and talk to Woodard without him ever calling them. People across the country can't do that. Locals know Lamar. Don't we want to get the publicity of Lamar out there past the Golden Triangle?

I wouldn't use a two star or three star rating to say someone is clearly better but I know what you were getting at.

Here is my question say you have a 3 star player from Beaumont and a 3 star player from mid-county that play the same position, which do you take? Both or just one?

It was a trick question, neither because if you take both, one of them will not start, and someone will get their feelings hurt, likewise if you only recruit one of them.

This is very tongue and cheek but my point is that if this is the future of Lamar football (appeasing every local HS fan base) then being a fan is going to get really old. Because all I care about is LAMAR FOOTBALL, and as fans that's got to be your number one concern. If it's not, your probably not really a fan, you can go cheer for Oregon and call yourself duck.

Lamar University athletics are supported by student fees above all other funding sources, no one subset of HS fans is going to end LU football. Last time I checked Lamar had record enrollments for several years straight and is staring another record campus enrollment in the face (just a few more days!!)

Thank you for two reasons:

1)Getting back on track.

2)Saying what is true.

I understand that because I really don't care at all about Bridge City football, my argument may be a little different than some others, but people have to decide. Be a high school fan or a college fan. When the decision is made, show it. I don't define Lamar's recruiting capacity by how many local players are on the team. Honestly, I'm more excited to see a Steven Murray-Sesay or an Anthony Oden from out of state. Lamar can only grow as big as we let it.

I believe you are right about two recruits from this area with the same talent...take neither. Take the 5-star recruit from New York. ;)

Man, that is great your not a racial person as I only asked a question after at least 4 players have been question about starting who are black.

He did play for UT and maybe you forgot, but Lamar did not have a team for 20 years. And yes, I am a fan of UT. As a matter of fact, I am a member of orangebloods.com as a few who frequent this website are. What is your point?

Dude, that is a stupid comment. Ask any black man if he thinks you having a half black/half white niece makes you not racial they'll laugh in your face.

Can we get back to the five key questions after Texas College.

Are you black?

I'm not a college coach and I highly doubt you are either but Doty had zero offers. 0, Zero, none, how else can I tell you. There are several coaching staffs besides Lamar that didn't offer Doty a scholarship.

Talent evalution... I have two words for you. Jeremy Johnson and there are a lot more than me that have Johnson evaluated ahead of Doty. Sorry for all you PN-G fans and I hope there isn't something racial here as all the players in quesiton are white. They were beat out or offerred a scholarship by a black player ahead of a white player.

Here let me educate you on a little on recruiting. Its called the three tier system.

"What happens a lot of times with the smaller schools is they wait until after (Signing Day) to see who has fallen through that they didn't think they'd have a chance to recruit," said West Brook coach Craig Stump. "All of those schools just now start recruiting because there's no sense in trying to recruit somebody who is being talked to by a bigger school or even thinks that he's going to go to a bigger school. So you wait and then you see who is available."

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/hs/article/Top-Unsigned-Southeast-Texas-Senior-Football-992880.php#ixzz1XIWSGUlv

Here we go with the measuring again...I think you are up to 2" now. Seriously, man, be a fan. Let it go.

1)Getting back on track.

2)Saying what is true.

I understand that because I really don't care at all about Bridge City football, my argument may be a little different than some others, but people have to decide. Be a high school fan or a college fan. When the decision is made, show it. I don't define Lamar's recruiting capacity by how many local players are on the team. Honestly, I'm more excited to see a Steven Murray-Sesay or an Anthony Oden from out of state. Lamar can only grow as big as we let it.

I believe you are right about two recruits from this area with the same talent...take neither. Take the 5-star recruit from New York. ;)

Nobody is saying we should not expand the recruiting, but if the local talent is better than what you have, then its a no brainer. I think you guys have waaaayyyy bigger dreams of being some juggernaut in D1-a ball. Its not going to happen. Lets just be realistic.

Guest CardAmbassador

How do you know the context of Stump's words?

He might have been referring to DII programs when he was saying "small schools" I know alot of locals think of Lamar in really small terms but we're a DI school with close to 15k enrollment, we're not that small. Look at Southland conference recruiting. ALl of the SLC schools announce large signing classes on signing day, they don't wait until after signing day.

So I think you're thinking too small here because Lamar is not small and we don't wait until after signing day to get kids.

Here is another question, and don't take this the wrong way, I'm going to try to ask this in the most sincere way possible.

You have been a member here for quite some time, how come it has taken you this long to even start posting about Lamar football?

1)Getting back on track.

2)Saying what is true.

Nobody is saying we should not expand the recruiting, but if the local talent is better than what you have, then its a no brainer. I think you guys have waaaayyyy bigger dreams of being some juggernaut in D1-a ball. Its not going to happen. Lets just be realistic.

It's not about having dreams. I am being realistic. I said 2 and 3-star recruits. I was joking about the 5-star.

Seriously though, let's assume we're in the WAC in 5 years. We have a 4-star recruit in Oklahoma ready to pack his bags and move to Beaumont. On the other hand, we have an outstanding 3-star recruit from Beaumont who could one day be as good as the guy from Oklahoma or better. Who would you recruit?

Guest bigred360

As another member of this site stated, you can only be a TRUE fan of one school! That is my point.

Guest CardAmbassador

This confirms what I was saying, you're thinking too small we're not thinking too big.

First, no one has ever insinuated that LU would be a FBS Juggernaut, that is silly, please show me where any LU fan has said that. But Lamar could find it's self in FBS in a few year, if you find that impossible or think it's stupid you really need to go talk to Dr. Simmons about his plans for Lamar and tell him he is dreaming too big.

Dr. Simmons knows LU, he knows what is possible and he doesn't think small. I implore you to go to his office sometime and have chat about the future of Lamar, he welcomes anyone into his office and I'm being serious about this, I really think you should have a talk with him. You will learn alot about Lamar.

I realize you feel as though a bunch of people are ganging up on you right now. We (at least I) don't mean to do so. However, you have mentioned some negative things about Lamar's football team that are being addressed. I don't think things are even a fifth as bad as you are making them out to be.

Jeremy Johnson was the 9th ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation when he was recruited by WVU. I think we have the quarterback position covered.

I understand that Doty was good. There are tons of good quarterbacks across the country. We can't have them all. ;)

I realize you feel as though a bunch of people are ganging up on you right now. We (at least I) don't mean to do so. However, you have mentioned some negative things about Lamar's football team that are being addressed. I don't think things are even a fifth as bad as you are making them out to be.

Jeremy Johnson was the 9th ranked dual-threat quarterback in the nation when he was recruited by WVU. I think we have the quarterback position covered.

I understand that Doty was good. There are tons of good quarterbacks across the country. We can't have them all. ;)

Competitive banter is great. I actually enjoy it. Just because you make mention of negative things about Lamar does not mean that I am not a fan. I seriously hope they are great. Also, I understand the Doty situation and am inclined to let it go, but with reserve to how things play out with the situation we now have(talent evaluation). Doty is just a point to be made and in the past. Things may not be as bad as I/we think, but only time will tell, and by the way, I hope i am wrong.

Guest bigred360
As another member of this site stated, you can only be a TRUE fan of one school! That is my point.

Really??? Do some research on that statement before you reply anymore. (pause) Ok, now go research it for me.

No need for research as I like the Longhorns too but it's not even in the same paragraph as Lamar.B)

Guest CardinalClaw

The Testament

Competitive banter is great. I actually enjoy it. Just because you make mention of negative things about Lamar does not mean that I am not a fan. I seriously hope they are great. Also, I understand the Doty situation and am inclined to let it go, but with reserve to how things play out with the situation we now have(talent evaluation). Doty is just a point to be made and in the past. Things may not be as bad as I/we think, but only time will tell, and by the way, I hope i am wrong.

What is so bad? We are only a second year program.

Really??? Do some research on that statement before you reply anymore. (pause) Ok, now go research it for me.

No need for research as I like the Longhorns too but it's not even in the same paragraph as Lamar.B)

Keep researching.

Guest bigred360

Keep talking about players not on the Lamar roster! LOL

Edit: you can be a fan of two institutions but who are you going to support finacially?

I think one can be loyal to two universities.

I support Texas A&M and Lamar. I used to be a season ticket holder to A&M football(had them for 10 years, gave them up 3 years ago, could no longer afford them for the times I was going). Now we are season ticket holders for Lamar football (been season ticket holders in basketball for the last 13 years)

My wife and I both attended both universities (wife graduated from Lamar, grad school at TAMU). My wife was head twirler for Lamar the next to last year that Lamar had football. Our oldest son currently attends LU.

We have ties to both schools, therefore we show support for both schools. I personally think one can be a fan of two universities.

BTW, I support Texas A&M and Lamar not based on any of their sports teams, but on what the universities stand for.

Guest CardAmbassador

My stance is that yes you can follow or even say you're a "fan" of multiple schools but when it gets down to the really deep stuff you can only be a true fan of one school. Just my opinion.

For example, I go to TAMU for grad school (only taking three classes on tues, thurs) I'm going to root for the Aggies to win on Saturday's.

But when 2014 rolls around there is no question about what color I'll be wearing in the stands, it will be the Cardinal Red & White, when people ask me who I root for I tell them the Lamar Cardinals and if they want to prod a bit further I might tell them that I root for the ags because I went there for grad school. You're not going to see me on TexAgs.com because following one message board is enough work.

You're not going to see me with a TAMU sticker on my car or an Aggie shirt on outside of College Station.

When I leave here and I'm in the work force, I'm going to be all about Lamar, of course I'll tell people I went to TAMU too, but it's just not the same. I'll make sure my company sends recruiters down to LU to hire Lamar grads. 2 years here vs. 5 years at LU, personal friends with the Dean and president, personal friends with the bus driver, lol. Served as president of several organizations at LU, served myself snacks in the cafeteria at TAMU.

When I'm writing my alumni donation checks it's going to have LU at the bottom, when I die and bequeath my assets to a school it will be the LU foundation not the A&M foundation.

In that sense, yes you can only be a TRUE fan of one school. (unless you're filthy rich like Walter Umphrey who's wife went to Lamar) :laugh: :laugh:

I think one can be loyal to two universities.

I support Texas A&M and Lamar. I used to be a season ticket holder to A&M football(had them for 10 years, gave them up 3 years ago, could no longer afford them for the times I was going). Now we are season ticket holders for Lamar football (been season ticket holders in basketball for the last 13 years)

My wife and I both attended both universities (wife graduated from Lamar, grad school at TAMU). My wife was head twirler for Lamar the next to last year that Lamar had football. Our oldest son currently attends LU.

We have ties to both schools, therefore we show support for both schools. I personally think one can be a fan of two universities.

BTW, I support Texas A&M and Lamar not based on any of their sports teams, but on what the universities stand for.

I'm curious what color you'll be wearing when they play. ;)