**GRAMBLING at LAMAR GAME THREAD, LU WINS 42-27 !! **

Mike

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, let me just go ahead and say this, We stand right behind the opposing bench on the 40 yard line closest to the Montagne Center so we had a good look at the Grambling coach all night long. That guy can coach his ass off. He is a hell of a coach. Second, all of the mistakes made tonight can be, and i believe, will be fixed. There were a lot of opening night jitters. Third, great and fairly loud crowd tonight. I would guess around 12,000 1,000 of which were Grambling fans. Great way to open the season, just can't turn the ball over six times and give them starting field position at the 50 yard line. #PECKEM

Gametracker says attendance was 9,520 but it looked like there were more people than that.

yeah, they didn't even scan my tickets when we went in

line needs to get it together

Harris had 3 fumbles

Grambling...how many crack back blocks? The very first one with Moss...hope he's ok, didn't look good

They had Harrington wrapped ankle to thigh , and in a full leg brace...but he was walking around on it

Congrats to Berry

I thought it was a good crowd, with labor day beach weekend, predicted rain....

few thoughts from tonight.first, thought crowd was good considering the weather.good atmosphere.grambling fans seemed to be a class act.thought offensive play calling was horrible.we have to get a better short yardage formation.kevin johnson looked out of shape and scared on kick offs.sloppy game but ill take the w.1 down 8 to go.

yeah, they didn't even scan my tickets when we went in

line needs to get it together

Harris had 3 fumbles

Grambling...how many crack back blocks? The very first one with Moss...hope he's ok, didn't look good

They had Harrington wrapped ankle to thigh , and in a full leg brace...but he was walking around on it

Congrats to Berry

I thought it was a good crowd, with labor day beach weekend, predicted rain....

didnt scan my tickets either

Not gonna lie, was pretty disappointed tonight...1 cause I had to leave right after the Bethany INT cause we had to get home before 11 so the babysitter could go home but that's a different story. But on the field there were far to many mistakes. Defense has to wrap up...too many arm tackles. Need more variety offensively (hoped they would open it up a bit but didn't expect it). Kickoff...looks like the squib and pooch kicks are gonna be the norm...Ball can't keep it in bounds and Carranco kicked a line driveand then it was returned to midfield...this has been an issue since football was brought back. Not sure if Ball reagrivated his leg injury but Davis should only attempt extra points...that FG attemp was ugly. Kickoff Return...we did one of 2 things...held/blocked in the back...or just flat out didn't block! And we have to take care of the ball...can't expect to be a top tier SLC team fumbling and throwing picks. A lot of this can be cleaned up...we have A&M next followed by 2 cupcakes before Sam heads to Beaumont. Hopefully the O gets in a groove after next Saturday and the D can work to gel further and we can see some improvement come conference play!

Any word if the following players were injured?

Alex Ball - played the first half but not the 2nd

Kade Harrington - someone mentioned he had his knee wrapped up...but play it safe with him cause he's important

Emmitt Raleigh - Saw him working out alone with a trainer in the endzone before the start of the 2nd half

Ok, let me just go ahead and say this, We stand right behind the opposing bench on the 40 yard line closest to the Montagne Center so we had a good look at the Grambling coach all night long. That guy can coach his ass off. He is a hell of a coach. Second, all of the mistakes made tonight can be, and i believe, will be fixed. There were a lot of opening night jitters. Third, great and fairly loud crowd tonight. I would guess around 12,000 1,000 of which were Grambling fans. Great way to open the season, just can't turn the ball over six times and give them starting field position at the 50 yard line. #PECKEM

I'd say more like 2,500...they brought a good crowd...and they didn't even need their own cops to pepper spray them lol

I was expecting this game to be close at 1st, just like last year. The field was wet, players had jitters, ok I get that. Now go to work on holding onto the ball, catching the ball, and limit the penalties. I also have to give some credit to Grambling, they are a better team this year. P.s. Special teams need a lot of work, esp. blocking. Edited by dirtybird

After sleeping on it, there was some positives last night. Defense line stepped it up. O line did pretty well, considering Grambling was bringing 8. Just wished Lamar would have ran more around the outside, they ran for good yardage when they did. Crowd was a lot better than I expected considering weather conditions. Grambling had a good crowd also.

we have to get a better short yardage formation.

I heard a lot of people complaining about the formation on the 4th and an inch at the goal line. Honestly the formation wasn't the issue though. We were in the pistol so from the RB perspective its the exact same as if the QB is under center. I would have much prefered a QB sneak, but when you let a defender through the A-gap unblocked whether or not the QB hands off from the pistol or from under center is irrelevant.

The game was closer than it should have been. There were very good plays and some not so good. We had the game well under control. Then it almost seemed like we were trying to give it away at the end. I wouldn't mind squib kicking if that's what it takes. It's a lot better than killing ourselves on field position every time we kick off. I thought Grambling had great results with that type of kick.

On the other hand, the four down goal line stand by the defense was one of the high points. I loved the 69 yard bomb in the first quarter. It's great when a quarterback and receiver can time it where the receiver catches the ball on a dead run. In my opinion, there's nothing better in football except may some great defense or overpowering blocks by the offensive line.

I also feel that attendance was over 10,000. Our season ticket cards weren't scanned so that's an under count of two unless we're already counted. We did go into the stadium about an hour early so maybe the ticket checkers weren't set up yet, but it's the first time in four seasons that our cards haven't been scanned and we're usually either the first or among the first in stadium. (We entered through Gate 2.) Last night turned out to be great weather for a late August football game. We brought our ponchos, but didn't need them. I'm definitely glad we made the trip over to Beaumont. Seeing some football and a very good performance by the band made for a very enjoyable evening.

I saw a lot of red across the field over in the east stands. I'd always like to see more, but I thought we had more than I've seen in a while. I was glad to see the increased turnout over there. It was nice to see a lot of folks in the east side stands. Grambling also had a good and loud crowd helping fill the gaps.

I missed Harrington in the end of the game, but I thought Harris did a good job. I just hope Harrington is ok. We need everyone healthy. Both sides had too many injuries. I just hope they weren't serious.

Overall, the game was pretty sloppy on both sides, but I didn't see anything that couldn't be fixed. We have some work to minimize penalties. For example, there's no reason to try to return kickoffs if we are going to get penalized on every one. We started with horrible field position most of the game, but a lot of that was self-inflicted.

Looking forward to the next home game against Texas College.

Edited by LUSportsFan

I expected our 3rd quarter offense to play the entire game. I thought our defense played pretty good considering all our turnovers and pathetic special teams play. Grambling always seemed to start around the 50 yard line. Our special teams was terrible. We had short punts, terrible coverages and...we'll we need Alex Ball back kicking for us.

I expected our 3rd quarter offense to play the entire game. I thought our defense played pretty good considering all our turnovers and pathetic special teams play. Grambling always seemed to start around the 50 yard line. Our special teams was terrible. We had short punts, terrible coverages and...we'll we need Alex Ball back kicking for us.

No doubt Grambling won the battle of field position all night long. Seemed like they always started at midfield and we always started on our 10.

Our passing game was obviously good... Berry, Roberts, and Begelton certainly didn't disappoint. My concerns are the O and D lines.

We seemed extremely undersized on the D line (obvious exception being Okafor) and didn't seem to put much pressure on their QB.

The O line is also unassuming. They don't seem strong enough to blow anyone off of the line scrimmage to be able to run the ball..especially in short yardage situations. If teams are able to shut down our passing game...it's gonna be another looooong season for us Card fans.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the solid game Anthony Beard had. He's battled a lot of injuries over his career but he's stuck with it and hopefully he'll have a great year.

Every year the same two subjects seem to always come up: special teams suck and the play calling sucks. Why haven't these issues been taken care of yet?

I'm going to chalk up Carl Harris' two fumbles to him not playing last year and the wet weather. I like the RB combo of Harris and Harrington complimenting the throwing game.

Maybe it's me, but Berry seems to fumble way too much when he's under pressure.

Put me down as hating the instant replay too.

Yes, it was very annoying. The whole game seamed brutally long to me. I guess all the passing plus the instant replay. I didn't realize what sitting in the stands for 5 minutes with absolutely nothing going on would feel like. It was almost a dead quiet during this time period. The PA folks need to step up their game and put some music on or just keep doing that hand clap stuff..... it at least keeps the kids happy. I guess we have to weigh personally annoying with do we want to have a checking system on a call...... At this point, I am torn....