** IWU at LU Game Thread, LU wins 31-20!! **

coachacola

Saturday's game will kick off at 6 p.m. from Provost Umphrey Stadium. It can also be viewed on the Big Red Sports Network, by logging on to BigRedSN.com.

Lamar Game Noteshttp://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/icon-acrosmall.gif | UIW Game Noteshttp://grfx.cstv.com/graphics/icon-acrosmall.gif | Video | Audio | Live Stats

Lamar fans will be seeing a lot of red Saturday as Lamar's Cardinals will be squaring off against the Cardinals from Incarnate Word in the 2014 home finale. Winners in two of their last three games, Lamar looks to rebound from a heartbreaking overtime loss at Central Arkansas last week. The Cards enter Saturday sixth in the Southland with a 6-3/3-3 SLC record as they take on conference newcomer UIW.

The Cardinals from San Antonio travel to Beaumont having lost three of their last four games, and are currently ninth in the league standings with a 2-8 (.200) overall record and a 2-5 (.286) league record. UIW has struggled on the road this season posting a 1-4 (.200) mark in those games.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/111314aaa.html

I watched the game on line as well but I'm not focused on if it was a boring game or if the attendance was poor I'm looking at one thing. Lamar has a winning record for the first time since football was reinstated and a good while before that. It's the type of accomplishment that people who post on this site have been looking for since day one. 7-4. regardless of what happens against McNeese next week Lamar has a winning record. If, by some chance, they beat McNeese then 8-4 would be the cherry on top of this season. It's good for the seniors and it's good for the program. Way to go Cards!

Guest mendelj
DEFINITELY AGREE): MAKES ME VERY SAD SO LITTLE OF BEAUMONT AND SOUTHEAST TEXAS WILL SUPPORT THIS TEAM. AND I THOUGHT THIS WAS THE HOT BED OF FOOTBALL. IT SHOULD NOT MATTER WHAT THE TOWN THINKS OF THE COACHING STAFF OR PAST RECORDS. THESE BOYS DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS. AFTER 35 YEARS OF SUPPORTING YOUNG PEOPLE AS MY PROFESSION WHY CAN'T MORE LOCAL PEOPLE BE MORE SUPPORTIVE. IT WAS A NICE FOOTBALL WEATHER DAY FOR TAILGATE AND FOR THE GAME. I AM PROUD OF YOU CARDINAL FOOTBALL. BEAT THE HECK OUT OF MCNEESE!!!!! GO CARDINALS..............PECK 'EM. I HOPE PEOPLE WILL TRAVEL TO THE MCNEESE GAME. IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE THE STANDS FULL LIKE THE 2010 OPENER AGAINST MCNEESE. COME ON SOUTHEAST TEXAS AND SUPPORT THE CARDS IN LAKE CHARLES!!!!

Guest mendelj
I watched the game on line as well but I'm not focused on if it was a boring game or if the attendance was poor I'm looking at one thing. Lamar has a winning record for the first time since football was reinstated and a good while before that. It's the type of accomplishment that people who post on this site have been looking for since day one. 7-4. regardless of what happens against McNeese next week Lamar has a winning record. If, by some chance, they beat McNeese then 8-4 would be the cherry on top of this season. It's good for the seniors and it's good for the program. Way to go Cards!

Thank you Eagle Eye. It is so nice to get on here and read some positive comments. There is not chance in H ...E... double toothpicks pleasing some of these posters. Gave up along time ago in believing this online site would ever truly be BIG ON RED. You have a blessed week now and see you at McNeese.

I was in the stands, a lot of the boring part came from the refs, especially the old gray headed ref. He acted like he enjoyed calling penalties against Lamar. Some of those calls were pretty shaky . One thing that irritates me is , at the East side of stadium, the visitors set on the 50 in the student section, the ushers need to make the visitors set at the end of the stadium. At the away games, the Lamar fans have to sit at the end of stadium. I have enjoyed watching Lamar this year, and I agree people should be more supportive.

I am happy that LU has a winning record this season as well. The players deserve it. They have been here since day one, and are finally rewarded with a winning record. When it comes to attendance it is the same stuff different day. They need to do promotions within the game, have better food, bring in better teams out of conference, giveaways, etc. But you cannot expect people just to show up and watch. You have to go out and make an effort to get more people into the stands. Go out to these businesses in town and make them offers that they can't refuse to buy season tickets, suites, etc. If they can't make the games, they will give tickets away to their employees or customers. The team has improved and have been fun to watch this year with the much more explosive offense. I don't know what the answer completely is, but what they are doing now doesn't work. Same goes for tailgating. It was huge to start, now it really sucks. Same can be said about basketball games. Winning solves a lot, but how do you get kids to say "mom and dad can we please go to the Lamar game tonight?" Marketing stinks at Lamar!!!

congrats to lamar on a winning season.hopefully this is a stepping stone for bigger things to come.i agree that even though as a fan i wanted more out of this season having a winning season is a nice consolation.lets go beat the shit out of mcneese putting a cherry on top of the 2014 season!!!!

Having a winning season is important, even if it was against a lot of cupcakes. I do give Woodard credit for the team showing improvement each year, even though it's been slower that what I would like. If LU's defense was as good as the offense then they probably would win 9 games.

I think attendance will take care of itself if LU can have winning seasons consistently year after year, not just every 3 or 4 years like they've always done. Fan bases are not built overnight, especially when the team struggles to win. Maybe it's too much to ask given LU's history in football, but they cannot afford to have a losing season next year.

Soon, we have to win meaningful games. The average college football fan of SE Texas understands the difference between wins against Mississppi College/Texas College etc. and wins against SHSU/McNeese etc. The averge college football fan of SE Texas wants to support a winner, expects a winner and will not show up until we have a winner. I am not sure the AD or the HC quite understand this or the sense of urgency needed!!

Let me try to understand this:

7-4

FIRST WINNING RECORD SINCE 1979

MOST WINS SINCE 1974

NO REPORTS OF NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR FROM FOOTBALL PLAYERS IN THE COMMUNITY

NUMEROUS SCHOOL RECORDS SET

.......AND SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BORD ARE COMPLAINING? some of you act like lamar has a history like notre dame. In all the years of football lamar has a record under .500 (.432) and have only won 9 games once. So to say anything negative about these kids or this program is laughable. Hell, 99 % of you probably never played..LOL!!!

I've been following lamar from a distance but for a 5th year TEAM that's not bad. Kudos to these kids and these coaches. Unlike some of the arm-chair QBs on this board, those of us who have played the game at a high level appreciate what your doing for the Golden T.

CONRATULTIONS TO THE PROGRAM....YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK COACH WOODWARD!

A +.500 record is a good stepping stone for this program but I just personally don't think the current leadership of the team will get us over that next hump to be a contender in the SLC...I don't care if you are critical of my opinion cause it's not gonna change until I see more improvement...I'll still buy my season tickets and go to the games cause the players deserve the support. People keep bringing up Lamar's previous records and I can't stand that...yes we've been historically mediocre to bad...but why should we accept that now just because that was the norm long ago? Yes at worst 7-5 will be our final record but take this into consideration...the 7 teams we have beat have records that follow:

Grambling 7-4 (have said before that team we played is no where close to what it is now but a win is a win)

Texas College 0-11 (NAIA at that)

Mississippi College 1-9 (D-II)

ACU 6-6 (by far our most impressive win)

Nicholls 0-11

HBU 2-9 (wins against Texas College & Nicholls)

UIW 2-9 (wins against HBU & Nicholls)

Combined 18-59

Those 7 games were penciled in as wins to start the year...the other games are where is my concern arises from and having Nicholls, HBU, and UIW on the conference schedule we should have never scheduled TC and MC. Again falls back on the leadership.

I fully expect LU to bring Woodard back after the season...do I agree? Nope. But the powers that be will not want to deal with the casual fan community backlash of not renewing the contract of a coach who just had the first winning season since the 70s

Let me try to understand this:

7-4

FIRST WINNING RECORD SINCE 1979

MOST WINS SINCE 1974

NO REPORTS OF NEGATIVE BEHAVIOR FROM FOOTBALL PLAYERS IN THE COMMUNITY

NUMEROUS SCHOOL RECORDS SET

.......AND SOME PEOPLE ON THIS BORD ARE COMPLAINING? some of you act like lamar has a history like notre dame. In all the years of football lamar has a record under .500 (.432) and have only won 9 games once. So to say anything negative about these kids or this program is laughable. Hell, 99 % of you probably never played..LOL!!!

I've been following lamar from a distance but for a 5th year TEAM that's not bad. Kudos to these kids and these coaches. Unlike some of the arm-chair QBs on this board, those of us who have played the game at a high level appreciate what your doing for the Golden T.

CONRATULTIONS TO THE PROGRAM....YOUR ON THE RIGHT TRACK COACH WOODWARD!

win meaningful games!

Obviously your definition of meaningful and mine are different!! Everyone has their own opinion!! Those opinions are being shown in the form of attendance. You can be mad as hell that people are not showing up! You don't have to accept the obvious, but the reality is that a 7-5 record with the lack of quality wins for an SLC FCS program is very much grasped by the fan base!! I am not ragging on anyone, but the facts are the facts!!