2016 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know something, and I know this is a little off the farm, but I want to hire some or all of the football staff at North Dakota State. Seriously. This FCS school is the only one in the country in history to win 5 consecutive national championships. From 2011 through 2015 nobody could stop these guys. The school is located in Fargo North Dakota, probably the coldest, most God forsaken town in North America. Winters last 6 months and are brutally cold. In summer they are right in the middle of tornado alley and their only claim to fame is a movie called "Fargo" which did nothing to make people actually want to go there. If that staff can recruit talent enough to win 5 straight FCS championships I want them in Beaumont. At very least our guys should do a meet and greet with their guys to try to get a glimpse of how they have been so successful. I feel pretty confident that Beaumont has more to offer than Fargo. Certainly, the weather is better than in Fargo. If, or when, we let Ray Woodard go, I want to hire the OC or the DC at NDSU. Him and some of his staff. You want Lamar to be better? Do what everyone else does and poach coaches from successful programs. For goodness sake, you can't get any more successful than NDSU. They have won 13 National Championships, including the last 5, and 32 conference championships. In FCS Div-I playoff games they are 22-1 and before that as a Div-II school they were 32-12. Is it me or would you hire someone from this school to coach at Lamar? It hasn't been one guy who has led the Bison either. A guy named Craig Bohl led the Bison from 2003 to 2013 including 3 national titles. Since 2014 NDSU has been coached by Chris Klieman who has carried on the Bison roll with back to back national titles.

It's interesting to note that Klieman was an assistant to Bohl. He was head coach at Loras College for one season, 2005, posting a 3-7 record. What that tells me is that the guys on that staff know how a well run program works. As for his old boss, Craig Bohl left NDSU for Wyoming where he's in the process of building his program. In the last 2 years he's been on the job the Cowboys have gone 6-18 in his first two seasons with a notably bad season this past year of 2-10. I wonder if fans in Laramie are on the "fire Bohl" bandwagon.

Need a DC and a special teams coach? Maybe a trip to Fargo wouldn't be a bad idea.

You know something, and I know this is a little off the farm, but I want to hire some or all of the football staff at North Dakota State. Seriously. This FCS school is the only one in the country in history to win 5 consecutive national championships. From 2011 through 2015 nobody could stop these guys. The school is located in Fargo North Dakota, probably the coldest, most God forsaken town in North America. Winters last 6 months and are brutally cold. In summer they are right in the middle of tornado alley and their only claim to fame is a movie called "Fargo" which did nothing to make people actually want to go there. If that staff can recruit talent enough to win 5 straight FCS championships I want them in Beaumont. At very least our guys should do a meet and greet with their guys to try to get a glimpse of how they have been so successful. I feel pretty confident that Beaumont has more to offer than Fargo. Certainly, the weather is better than in Fargo. If, or when, we let Ray Woodard go, I want to hire the OC or the DC at NDSU. Him and some of his staff. You want Lamar to be better? Do what everyone else does and poach coaches from successful programs. For goodness sake, you can't get any more successful than NDSU. They have won 13 National Championships, including the last 5, and 32 conference championships. In FCS Div-I playoff games they are 22-1 and before that as a Div-II school they were 32-12. Is it me or would you hire someone from this school to coach at Lamar? It hasn't been one guy who has led the Bison either. A guy named Craig Bohl led the Bison from 2003 to 2013 including 3 national titles. Since 2014 NDSU has been coached by Chris Klieman who has carried on the Bison roll with back to back national titles.

It's interesting to note that Klieman was an assistant to Bohl. He was head coach at Loras College for one season, 2005, posting a 3-7 record. What that tells me is that the guys on that staff know how a well run program works. As for his old boss, Craig Bohl left NDSU for Wyoming where he's in the process of building his program. In the last 2 years he's been on the job the Cowboys have gone 6-18 in his first two seasons with a notably bad season this past year of 2-10. I wonder if fans in Laramie are on the "fire Bohl" bandwagon.

Need a DC and a special teams coach? Maybe a trip to Fargo wouldn't be a bad idea.

one advantage they have is that every overlooked kid from ND,SD, MINN,IL,KS,NEB and those other frozen states gotta be dying to play there. Always wondered how they get their few kids from the south, tho. Gotta be paying em under the table

NDSU is in a rather unique situation for recruiting and talent availability.They also have more players in the NFL than any other FCS university.Zems Gems is an excellent site to read past analysis of NDSU.He is a former coach with ties to McNeese but covers sports daily with great insights gleaned from decades of coaching multiple sports.Some of his best writings have been about the relationship between track and field and football recruiting analysis.It is well worth reading his past writings to fully understand NDSU's success before crying foul.By the way,they are very deep in 300 pounders on the line and Zem explains that too.Schools like TCU have had to be a bit ahead of the curve in strongly covering track meets and track times as a factor in recruiting along with field events for linemen.

NDSU is in a rather unique situation for recruiting and talent availability.They also have more players in the NFL than any other FCS university.Zems Gems is an excellent site to read past analysis of NDSU.He is a former coach with ties to McNeese but covers sports daily with great insights gleaned from decades of coaching multiple sports.Some of his best writings have been about the relationship between track and field and football recruiting analysis.It is well worth reading his past writings to fully understand NDSU's success before crying foul.By the way,they are very deep in 300 pounders on the line and Zem explains that too.Schools like TCU have had to be a bit ahead of the curve in strongly covering track meets and track times as a factor in recruiting along with field events for linemen.

Hmmm. Sounds like a secret to success. (hint, hint) The reason the NDSU is finding it easy to recruit is because of the reasons you just touched on but most importantly they are a proven winner. However, the fact is, they had to start somewhere and the recruiting strategy that successful small schools like NDSU employ is worth exploring as a way to improve the talent on the team. Now, if we have a Reggie Begelton or someone else make it in the NFL now you've got the groundwork laid for future success. A lot of times all it takes is one breakthrough for a program to begin snowballing it's way to success. If I'm a coach and I believe in my system but I have difficulty recruiting why not look a the successful programs? Or why not poach a coach or two? Anyway, just thinking out loud.

There is one critical flaw in every one of your reasoning's. Some people hate the hot humidity just as much as you hate the cold, and I am one of those. I freaking hate Texas weather! If I were a player, you wouldn't be able to pay me to play football anywhere near the southern US. Second, if you have ever been to North or South Dakota, you would know that they are two gorgeous states. Rolling green grassy hills as far as you can see, interrupted every now and then by a mountain, and a sportsman's paradise! These are very small towns, so the entire town is created around the Universities. Everything is about them and the players are legitimate celebrities within the towns. And lastly they, by far, have some of the best facilities in the FCS. Look at NDSU, Montana, Montana State, Delaware, and the list goes on. But not only are they great facilities, they completely pack them. Who doesn't want to play in a place like that??

I grew up in Montana and remember the national championship run they had in around 1993 or 1994. A family friend played on the team. The stadium is always packed no matter who they play... I also lived in Cheney Washington home of Eastern Washington.. We played our high school football games at EWUs stadium.. At that time they had grass it is now the worst colored field ever.. EWU had terrible attendance and zero city support when I lived there.. they stunk. Montana always had Missoula's support and had great crowds. It SUCKS in the winter in Missoula... nothing good about it.. the students support is much better than at LU but then again they have nothing else to do.

There is one critical flaw in every one of your reasoning's. Some people hate the hot humidity just as much as you hate the cold, and I am one of those. I freaking hate Texas weather! If I were a player, you wouldn't be able to pay me to play football anywhere near the southern US. Second, if you have ever been to North or South Dakota, you would know that they are two gorgeous states. Rolling green grassy hills as far as you can see, interrupted every now and then by a mountain, and a sportsman's paradise! These are very small towns, so the entire town is created around the Universities. Everything is about them and the players are legitimate celebrities within the towns. And lastly they, by far, have some of the best facilities in the FCS. Look at NDSU, Montana, Montana State, Delaware, and the list goes on. But not only are they great facilities, they completely pack them. Who doesn't want to play in a place like that??

Fargo is about the same size as Beaumont. And about 3 hours away from 4 million people in Minneapolis.

Believe me Big T, I am no fan of SETX summers. My ideal spot to live would be in California, not the big cities, or Florida but the cost of living in Cali is ridiculous and my job is not in Florida so I'm stuck. Some of the most difficult years at my job have come in the most brutal summers on record. Believe me, I feel ya. However, I have worked in the cold which is a lot different than going to school or snow boarding, and it really sucks. If you have a job that requires you to work outside you are not going to be a happy camper. Not only is the cold a bitch it isn't like here when it's cold off and on for about 6-8 weeks. You are talking 6 months. From October until late March or April you are dealing with the cold. Not just SETX cold where it MIGHT get down to 32o. I'm talking about temps down around 5o with wind chill in the minus zero neighborhood. Let me tell ya, that neighborhood sucks big time. Like nose bleeds? Try living up north where the humidity is so low you have to have a humidifier in the your house and office or your sinuses will dry out and your nose will bleed. If you have a job you where you have to wear button down shirts you will need to own t-shirts to wear with them in the winter or the cotton of the button down will rub your nipples raw. In the winter you have two choices, snow tires or snow chains. With snow tires you need to own two sets of tires, one for winter driving and the other set for the rest of the year. If you don't go snow tires then prepare to learn how to put on snow chains. The rest of the time be prepared for ice on the road, especially bridges and overpasses. Ever hit black ice? There's no feeling on earth like crossing a bridge and you realize that on a road that looks like it is perfectly clear the back end of your vehicle is suddenly catching up with the front end. Nice. I know that when it's not winter the countryside is beautiful and the other seasons are amazing weather wise, other than the plethora of tornados that plague the great plains from North Dakota to Oklahoma every spring and summer, but if you are headed to college do you WANT to go to class in 2 feet of snow? Do you want to shovel snow off your driveway and sidewalk every stinking time it snows? For kids winter is fun, sledding, ice skating, snowball fights and snowmen but for adults 18 years old and up it's no picnic. The only wreck my brother ever got into was in college when he went to Colorado State in Fort Collins (north central Colorado). He was driving back to school from a visit home (about a 2 hour drive) when he hit a cow in the middle of the road because the road was icy and he couldn't stop. Oh yeah, make sure you plan to leave for work or school a half hour sooner if you don't have a garage to allow time to defrost your windows enough to see to drive. Don't be a dumbass and pour hot water on the your windshield to speed up the process because it's a guarantee you break your windshield. It's all in the science. If you mix extreme temperatures something has got to give and when you mix a frozen windshield and hot water (or warm water) what gives is the glass. Get acquainted with a can of de-icer (alcohol based liquid in a spray can) and a plastic scraper. Don't forget your gloves when you scrape the windshield or you could get frost bite. Oh yeah, and the last thing, be prepared to be electrocuted about 50 times a day when you touch metal stuff. Static electricity is a bitch up north especially if you've been walking in your socks or bare feet on carpet. Beaumont isn't sounding so bad now is it? I have seen the Montagne Center full or close to it when the Cardinals were winning consistently and I'll bet if the football team was more successful the crowds would grow exponentially. My whole point in the first place was to get a DC and maybe another coach or two from a winning program. Maybe even a head coach who knows how to make an FCS school good. I am okay with the progress Ray has made but I'm greedy. I want to see more and I don't want see my team implode like it did last season. I just want my Cardinals be good. Is that too much to ask?

Edited by eagle eye

• 2 weeks later...

Id play there....if it was the only offer I got!

Hmmm. Sounds like a secret to success. (hint, hint) The reason the NDSU is finding it easy to recruit is because of the reasons you just touched on but most importantly they are a proven winner. However, the fact is, they had to start somewhere and the recruiting strategy that successful small schools like NDSU employ is worth exploring as a way to improve the talent on the team. Now, if we have a Reggie Begelton or someone else make it in the NFL now you've got the groundwork laid for future success. A lot of times all it takes is one breakthrough for a program to begin snowballing it's way to success. If I'm a coach and I believe in my system but I have difficulty recruiting why not look a the successful programs? Or why not poach a coach or two? Anyway, just thinking out loud.

am I missing something? Didn't we just land one of the best FCS recruiting classes in the country??

I grew up in Montana and remember the national championship run they had in around 1993 or 1994. A family friend played on the team. The stadium is always packed no matter who they play... I also lived in Cheney Washington home of Eastern Washington.. We played our high school football games at EWUs stadium.. At that time they had grass it is now the worst colored field ever.. EWU had terrible attendance and zero city support when I lived there.. they stunk. Montana always had Missoula's support and had great crowds. It SUCKS in the winter in Missoula... nothing good about it.. the students support is much better than at LU but then again they have nothing else to do.

Winning games is the key. Kinda sucks but most people are fair weather fans. You win, they will come. You lose, they won't.

Lamar has given out a late offer to Vanel Dossous a 6'0" 190 lbs WR from Mt. San Jacinto JC in California. Last season he hauled in 53 passes for 841 yards and 6 TDs in 10 games. Also seeing he is picking up late FBS attention and has an official visit set up with Arizona State this coming weekend. As far as I can tell, Lamar is the first to offer him however.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/251058/vanel-dossous