2016 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per his Twitter, Lake Charles LaGrange DB Alvinoski Lafleur holds a Lamar offer along with offers from Central Arkansas, Northwestern St, Southern, McNeese, UL-Monroe, Southern Miss & Tulane where he recently decommitted from.

2* guy from both Rivals and Scout. Is also a teammate of current commit Markell Hawthorne.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3269008/alvinoski-lafleur

Got word today that Lamar picked up a QB transfer from Miami named Clayton Turner. From what I've gathered, he originally signed as a preferred walk-on at Miami out of Kell HS in Georgia (HS teammate of Brendan Langley). But ended up at Monroe College (JC) in New York where he split time as a freshman throwing for 849 yard and 12 TDs to 5 INTs in 8 games, then was injured during his sophomore season where he threw for 195 yards and 3 TDs to 1 INT in 2 games...got a medical RS for the season. After that he transfered back to Miami as a walk-on WR. Will be moving back to QB at Lamar.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2400435/clayton-turner

Got word today that Lamar picked up a QB transfer from Miami named Clayton Turner. From what I've gathered, he originally signed as a preferred walk-on at Miami out of Kell HS in Georgia (HS teammate of Brendan Langley). But ended up at Monroe College (JC) in New York where he split time as a freshman throwing for 849 yard and 12 TDs to 5 INTs in 8 games, then was injured during his sophomore season where he threw for 195 yards and 3 TDs to 1 INT in 2 games...got a medical RS for the season. After that he transfered back to Miami as a walk-on WR. Will be moving back to QB at Lamar.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2400435/clayton-turner

hmmm...not much of an arm...with this guy and all the TE...Rays got me worried..going to the wishbone?

hmmm...not much of an arm...with this guy and all the TE...Rays got me worried..going to the wishbone?

IMHO I think he's purely a depth guy so they can try to RS Morse. Earp is the obvious front runner for the starting job and McKenzie's name was brought up quite a bit in fall camp. Earp is coming off of the shoulder injury and I was told he would not need surgery and would rehab it instead. McKenzie is coming off of a torn ACL he suffered at the end of fall camp and if we do spring ball early like Woodard prefers then I wouldn't expect McKenzie to be ready. That would have just left Cox as the only other QB. From what I've heard, Cox could use the reps so I'd expect him to be #2 going into spring to get as much work as possible anyways. Having 3 of your 4 QBs on the roster battling injuries at the same time put us in a bad position last season and I'm sure Woodard doesn't want that to happen again.

Remember that FCS schools are able to give partial scholarships also, so if Turner is on scholarship it could be just a little and not have much effect what they want to do to complete the rest of the class.

After Baylor's performance last night a new look wishbone might not be a bad option. Granted it was against a team with a better record and was practically the same score as their conference championship game loss to the #1 seed in the FBS playoff, but what are comparisons for?

post a link to your story.

Here's what it said. ...

Lamar football may have found new quarterback

It’s no secret that the Lamar football Cardinals struggled at the quarterback position this past season. Joe Minden, a senior transfer from Stephen F. Austin, and junior Carson Earp, a transfer from Navarro Junior College, combined to throw just 19 touchdowns. But that all could change next season.

Sources close to the Lamar football program have confirmed that Clayton Turner will soon be on campus and very well could get a serious look at starting quarterback when the team begins spring practice.

Turner (6-4, 215) comes to Lamar from the University of Miami where he was a walk-on redshirt sophomore receiver for the Hurricanes, but did not step on the field. He did, however, catch a touchdown pass in Miami’s 2015 spring game.

From Marietta, Georgia, Turner played Junior College football in 2013 for Monroe College in New Rochelle, New York. That season was Monroe’s first season playing NJCAA Division I, and Turner, who was the starting quarterback, threw for 849 yards and 12 scores in eight games.

Nothing is guaranteed, but with a full spring, Turner could turn out to be a solid player at quarterback.

Here's what it said. ...

It’s no secret that the Lamar football Cardinals struggled at the quarterback position this past season. Joe Minden, a senior transfer from Stephen F. Austin, and junior Carson Earp, a transfer from Navarro Junior College, combined to throw just 19 touchdowns. But that all could change next season.

Sources close to the Lamar football program have confirmed that Clayton Turner will soon be on campus and very well could get a serious look at starting quarterback when the team begins spring practice.

Turner (6-4, 215) comes to Lamar from the University of Miami where he was a walk-on redshirt sophomore receiver for the Hurricanes, but did not step on the field. He did, however, catch a touchdown pass in Miami’s 2015 spring game.

From Marietta, Georgia, Turner played Junior College football in 2013 for Monroe College in New Rochelle, New York. That season was Monroe’s first season playing NJCAA Division I, and Turner, who was the starting quarterback, threw for 849 yards and 12 scores in eight games.

Nothing is guaranteed, but with a full spring, Turner could turn out to be a solid player at quarterback.

Here's a link to The Examiner article quoted above (under the sub-caption "Lamar football may have found another quarterback"): http://theexaminer.com/stories/sports/dorian-chatman-dscore-career-high-victory-over-howard-payne

Here's what it said. ...

Amazing how quickly we forget how valuable Earp was before his injury at Southeastern.

Played a couple of great quarters at Baylor. Led us to 4 first half TDs against Sam and we were leading when he was hurt if I recall. Never heard the extent of his shoulder injury, but the fact Minden played and when Earp did play, didn't get many times to throw the ball leads me to believe it was more serious than first thought. A healthy Earp and with Kade back should be a great season for LU.

Earp may be known as a runner, but had a lot of passing TDs in just 9 or so quarters before his injury.

Granted we will need depth and hoping Turner signed.

:)

Beat McNeese! :biggrin:

It's pretty obvious that Earp's shoulder was much worse than initially thought/we were led to believe. I have spoken with someone who said that he did not require surgery and only offseason rehab would get him back. I was screaming for him all season but to no avail. His legs make the offense so much more dynamic because when defenses key on Kade, Earp is liable to pop one for 30+...try to keep him from doing that and you know what Kade is capable of. While in the passing game he's not going to do what we got spoiled with under Berry, but he's got enough to keep a defense honest and burn them at times...see 4 TD passes vs SHSU.

Was looking at the stats today and saw that Earp was second on team in rushing with 331 yards and had a better passing efficiency rating than Minden. I would like to see him heathy again.

Hopefully Cox has put on about 30 pounds of muscle. Maybe he will impress this spring. With Mackenzie coming back that's four QBs heading in spring. Turner was listed as a WR at Miami so he could contribute that way if necessary.

I wouldn't bank on McKenzie being healthy for spring. Typically Woodard likes to do spring practices starting in mid to late February and if that holds true again, that's going to put McKenzie about 7 months out from a torn ACL

With Earp or this wide rec/qb, we will have another season of a piss poor passing game.