Lu hires QB Coach

coachacola

Overall I think it's a good hire...he had a little bit of success at North Texas and set several school records while at SMU in the mid 90's. He had a terrible stint at Lincoln University the past 2 years but it looks like that program is tough to win at. But I'll take a guy who played FBS QB and was an FBS OC as a QB coach. Was wondering if they had made a hire before practices started.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an article documenting Flanigan officially resigning from Lincoln University yesterday. Some harsh words against his previous boss.

http://www.dailylocal.com//sports/20150316/after-two-disappointing-seasons-flanigan-resigns-at-lincoln

This is the 2nd coach I've seen this year already out working with another team before officially resigning from their previous school...wonder how they can legally do that?

Here's an article documenting Flanigan officially resigning from Lincoln University yesterday. Some harsh words against his previous boss.

http://www.dailylocal.com//sports/20150316/after-two-disappointing-seasons-flanigan-resigns-at-lincoln

This is the 2nd coach I've seen this year already out working with another team before officially resigning from their previous school...wonder how they can legally do that?

Good question and my response would be it's not illegal to hold two jobs. The administration at Lincoln sounds sort of incompetent and that might have something to do with it. We'll see how well Flanigan is as a coach. I posted on another thread when Kueck left that we'd see whether or not we miss him. I realize this isn't apples to apples here because Flanigan isn't the OC but he should have a big influence on the QBs on the team. We'll see.

True you can have 2 jobs at once...the other occurrence I know of is new Texas A&M DC John Chavis. He was out recruiting for A&M before he had officially resigned from LSU. Just seems like the former employer could have a beef and try to recoop some salary when they are working for the new employer while still on the old school's payroll.

True you can have 2 jobs at once...the other occurrence I know of is new Texas A&M DC John Chavis. He was out recruiting for A&M before he had officially resigned from LSU. Just seems like the former employer could have a beef and try to recoop some salary when they are working for the new employer while still on the old school's payroll.

All I keep going back to is when I was a kid I had two jobs so I could get some money to buy a car. Neither of my employers were mad about it and neither tried to recoup salary. Now, when you talk about coaching there begs a question of conflict of interest but it's pretty clear Flanigan and Lincoln had no decent working relationship by the end and, as long as he fulfilled his job duties at Lincoln, which in the off season can't be a lot especially if you have resigned giving an effective date of the that resignation. Lincoln has no expectation of job performance once they accept the resignation. If Lincoln agreed to the deal then I would think they would be hard pressed to go through a bunch of hassle for a little bit of money and they could lose the case costing them more money. As I said in an earlier post Lincoln admin people didn't appear to be the sharpest pencils in the box anyway.

Now all we have to worry about is whether Flanigan is a malcontent and a crappy coach or if he's really a good coach in which case we all are happy.

Reason I brought it up is that as a coach you would have to think you are salaried...I had 2 jobs when I was younger as well but being paid hourly you only get paid for the time you are there. Coaches aren't doing as much in the offseason but they are still getting that same paycheck. The Chavis stuff with A&M and LSU would be even more interesting since recruiting footprints overlap

Reason I brought it up is that as a coach you would have to think you are salaried...I had 2 jobs when I was younger as well but being paid hourly you only get paid for the time you are there. Coaches aren't doing as much in the offseason but they are still getting that same paycheck. The Chavis stuff with A&M and LSU would be even more interesting since recruiting footprints overlap

I agree with you on that. Like I said there certainly could be a conflict of interest especially if you are involved in recruiting. I'll bet that after Flanigan was hired by LU any meaningful work in that regard was terminated, at least for Lincoln. I'll bet most of Flanigan's time after he was hired has been finding a place to live in Beaumont and getting his family relocated. It could also be that Flanigan didn't draw a Lamar paycheck until after he was officially and EX-Lincoln coach. He could be hired and not begin being paid until a later date.

Anyway, it's time to worry if Flanigan is a good coach.