Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they've had 51 applicants, there must be someone. Actually, I based the wish list on Colby Carthel.

I wonder how may viable candidates are on the list. I'm guessing 90% of them won't get a serious look from the search committee. Wait, is there a search committee? I hope the AD isn't doing this search himself!

Well, I do not have any names, but I do have a couple of points to ponder:

Some coaches from a lower level program can be successful, particularly if they have had previous experience as an assistant on the FCS or FBS level.

An assistant at a P5 school might be good, if they also have experience coaching at mid-major FBS or FCS level. The reason why I say this is that some guys who have always had a P5 gig might not know how to recruit and coach on a limited budget.

At Lamar, I would try to find a coach who is willing to open up the offense. A coach whose philosophy is "3 yards in a cloud of dust" or triple option will not attract very many fans initially. People around the Golden Triangle like to see big plays.

I think on the FCS level, someone with local ties is preferred. If that is not possible, then at least get a coach who is willing to develop relationships with the local high school coaches. Getting the local kids is essential to building a good fanbase, in addition to a good team.

I will be watching this from afar and I hope they find a good one. ;)

+ 1 million

We don't want to count his high school record. I would think if you we're any decent coach, motivator, strategist, you could figure out to win at least one game in twenty. Also what is his assignment at Florida? I was thinking it was 'travel agent'.

+1 million and 1

Hi guys. Just dropped by to see if your list of prospects overlapped with ours since we are both looking for new Head Coaches.

Not so much, it appears. Longo is on every fan's wish list, including ours but I have not heard his name mentioned by anyone close to our search so I don't think he is likely to move to Abilene. Carthel is another possible candidate for both jobs but that's it. No one else mentioned here overlaps.

Here's hoping we both wind up with the guy we need and that both our programs are able to help strengthen our conference in years to come.

A list of the good and bad of being Lamar's HC.

Good:

-total compensation of around $200,000 per year

-a local recruiting area with several good high school programs

-a respected university with an attractive campus

-some of the best athletic facilities in the conference

-a member of a conference that annually sends members to a national tournament

-ESPN tv contract that can help with recruiting

Bad:

-can't think of anything

What I'm hoping for:

-a young hungry coach somewhere around 35 to 45.

-a recent consistent track record, not something that happened a few years ago

-solid offensive resume and a reputation for developing players

-a good reputation as a recruiter

-please, no retreads.

Please feel free to add to the list or call bullshit

Your list looks a whole lot like ACU's, both in terms of what you have to offer and what you are hoping for in a new coach. I believe our short list includes mostly FBS assistants and one very successful D2 head coach.

Word I'm getting is he is actually a finalist for yalls job

Things change very quickly in searches. Word I have is he was on a shorter list of candidates that got a serious look but is no longer under consideration. He was replaced by a coach who suddenly became available. Five or six names left, one D2 HC and the rest FBS assistants from the MW, ACC, and SEC, and Big 12. Of those only 2 or 3 are likely to happen based on current salaries and the range we are able to pay.

Of course, the word I have could just be disinformation to give them time to negotiate with Carthel under the radar but I don't think so.

Edited by OscarWildeCat

will wagner?

No. There is a D2 coach from out of state on our short list (MIAA). Everyone else is from the FBS.

I liked a couple of FCS guys that either didn't apply or our AD and search committee felt differently about--Longo and Jamey Chadwell from Charleston Southern.

Edited by OscarWildeCat

No. There is a D2 coach from out of state on our short list (MIAA). Everyone else is from the FBS.

I liked a couple of FCS guys that either didn't apply or our AD and search committee felt differently about--Longo and Jamey Chadwell from Charleston Southern.

if it Dorrel from NW, I'm shocked. I figure he'll be at NWMO till he dies. Grew up there, played there.

Not much news here compared to the ACU site. Do we have a search committee? Who, other than the AD, is on it? Have we started interviewing? Where would the interviews take place? - my guess would be at the Marriot Hotel at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Looks like ACU may beat us to the punch. They hope to name someone sometime next week.

Understand Ray was making ~$200,000, can LU go up to $250k to get the right coach?

Thought the Enterprise list of 5 sucked!

Not much news here compared to the ACU site. Do we have a search committee? Who, other than the AD, is on it? Have we started interviewing? Where would the interviews take place? - my guess would be at the Marriot Hotel at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

Looks like ACU may beat us to the punch. They hope to name someone sometime next week.

Understand Ray was making ~$200,000, can LU go up to $250k to get the right coach?

Thought the Enterprise list of 5 sucked!

Haven't seen the Enterprise come up with a list...the Examiner did and if that is what you are referring to then I feel about the same...no one pops out to grab your attention.

need the local papers to get us some answers.is there a committee?timetable on hire?who is on the committee?enquiring minds want to know.

I've spoken with Danny Shapiro and he reached out to Henderson for some info soon after the firing and really didn't get much. We reached out to Henderson through BRI asking if he could give a timeframe, number of candidates, etc and all he said was they want to move quickly as possible and get the best coach for Lamar...there isn't much info coming out on this

Getting word that there may be a small announcement maybe as early as tomorrow. Doesn't sound like it's a hire but an announcement of some sort.

I'm also hearing that Lamar holds "new coaches orientations" at the beginning & middle of December and January. So I would look (and hope) for the new coach to be selected before the 15th so he can go through this and be the official head man with 6 weeks to recruit vs 4

Maybe our leading candidates are in the playoffs and that is why there is no news. Based on the recruiting schedule, we need someone by the end of next week. But then this athletic department sent my BB season tickets to the wrong person. So nothing would really surprise me.

Maybe our leading candidates are in the playoffs and that is why there is no news. Based on the recruiting schedule, we need someone by the end of next week. But then this athletic department sent my BB season tickets to the wrong person. So nothing would really surprise me.

Picking a candidate that is still in the playoffs is awfully tricky due to the time constraints and conflict of interests. However, there has been a president in the past at the FBS level for assistants to continue their seasons with their current team while pulling double duty and starting their head coaching positions with a new team (assembling a staff, figuring out the recruiting needs, etc.). The 2 names that pop out to me that have done this in the past is Tom Herman in the 2014 season and Kirby Smart during the 2015 season. Herman was the OC at Ohio St. and took the Houston job. Smart was the DC at Alabama and too the Georgia job. Both guys were allowed to remain at the previous school and chase an eventual national championship all while spending what little free time they had starting their new job.