Lamar Football Coaching Search

KABrother88

I know Joe Chaisson well and my son played multiple sports with him and they remain close.Joe now has a wife and two children and is doing well in Houston.I believe following Stump to Westbrook was good for Joe.It also led to the development of Fazzio who was great at Kelly.My son and his friends did not begrudge Joe leaving Kelly.They understood Joe lived in the district and had played youth sports with kids at both schools.They also thought it would help Joe get more exposure against better competition.The choice was for Joe's parents and him to make not you or me to make.Stump was a good coach who was well liked at Kelly.He comes from a football family with his brother being a standout player at McNeese.He did well with major donors at Kelly who also are major Lamar supporters.That being said there is a risk in going with a long time high school coach .But,maybe it leaves extra money to hire better assistants to compliment him.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KA thanks for the info...I appreciate it, but we were bashing "lil puppet" Henderson before the Stump report. Since this decision is really up to the big money people, why don't we reduce Henderson to the athletic dept.'s traveling secretary and cut his salary. We could add it to the athletic dept.'s general fund.

I wasn't saying that we would have gotten longo. Just meant the good programs in the southland hire better than us. Sam had marlin, keeler, longo, fritZ. Mcneese coach moved up, the sfa coaches have done well. All the while we go for the diamonds in the rough. Look at roc, Woodard, ect. It's never ending. That's why I say it's horse shit that we experiment with a dude that hasn't ever brought his team to the promised land. BrileS, dodge both made dynasties. Stump hasn't #neverstump. #horseshithenderson i did give names I said Levine the ex cougs coach. I am the guy that brought up hauck. Love ash he was a winner had no idea we had a shot

Ok so we are at Levine, hauck, Ash, Hudson???, carthel, pevetot, barbay, some cy fair coach, stump, and who else? Just for fun, one at a time, who is off of this list? I say strike off barbay at first. Any names to add?

Edited by PeckEm

So on this site I see some one sided bashing of Henderson and Ken Evans with noteworthy omissions of wonderful accomplishments our competition who read this site need to be aware of.Let's start with our new basketball million dollar scoreboard,sound and lighting system which Evan's and Henderson both played a part in making happen.Evans continued the good work of Jimmy Simmons in making Lamar a leader in online classes.They really are good as I tutored with them Algebra and Statistics.Evans has put community leaders and Henderson on fundraising committees and the fundraising was very successful given the annual banquet recently held for major donors.Finally the state granted Lamar an unprecedented large amount of money this year.Over the last 10 or so years we have nice new dorms,soccer,softball,football,cafeteria,exercise and tutorial facilities along with ESPN 3 coverage.coverage.Enrollment has been rising so I think a lot of schools in the conference would gladly exchange places with us.

Oh yeah, and everyday that passes, we are losing out on potential LU recruits. Somebody needs to remind whoever is calling the shots that we are scheduled to play football next season and we need some new players to try and replace the ones we lost to graduation, who quit, or leave the program to play elsewhere. Our conference opponents are probably laughing at us and enjoying this as they continue to recruit. As a fan of LU football, I am extremely frustrated at our lack of urgency. We fired Coach Woodard on Nov. 21. It's been a little over 3 weeks and no head coach has been named. I read somewhere that they knew they were going to fire Coach Woodard after the Incarnate word or HBU loss (I can't remember which). One would think we would have started to look around, even if it was behind closed doors, at that time. Our decision makers act as though the Woodard firing was a surprise to them. I wonder if we lose any players during the Christmas break because we are still waiting on a head coaching selection. If your going to transfer to another school to play football, now is the time to go. With no head coach and little if any recruiting being done, I'm sure we have a few players shopping themselves around to other schools or Jucos.

Who are the "big money" folks? I like Hauck and Ash.

Very few high school coaches win moving up to college. Briles is an exception.

And some folks want to use their high school records to justify their pick and then want to forget a 0-20 high school record.

Another thing I don't understand, what do local connections mean? Barbay didn't go to Lamar, Stump didn't go to Lamar, so as far as I'm concerned how can they sway a local recruit to Lamar when they didn't stay in the area.

How long should we give this coach to get us to the playoffs? I say no contract longer than 3 years. I would give Barbay only 1 year since he is a total unknown.

And some folks want to use their high school records to justify their pick and then want to forget a 0-20 high school record.

Another thing I don't understand, what do local connections mean? Barbay didn't go to Lamar, Stump didn't go to Lamar, so as far as I'm concerned how can they sway a local recruit to Lamar when they didn't stay in the area.

How long should we give this coach to get us to the playoffs? I say no contract longer than 3 years. I would give Barbay only 1 year since he is a total unknown.

The problem with the next coach is dragging this thing out is effecting recruiting. Next year will just will be difficult especially considering what the DL will look like. We only return 5 guys (1 RS-Sr, 1 RS-Jr, 1 Jr & 2 So) if none of them leave. We severely need help and preferably from the JUCO level where they are a little more prepared to step in and play. We are more than likely going to have a several guys who probably shouldn't be playing at the D-I level. It's gonna be hard to hold 2017 against the new coach

Three weeks in, I could care less who we hire. Just choose someone.

I'm pretty sure I won't like it, but I'll support the guy regardless because I want to see LU succeed in football. And if the man who spends more time than any of us sitting in an office that overlooks Bud Leonard Field thinks he found the right guy then I am ALL FOR IT!

Stump may not have attended Lamar but he was the HC at West Brook for several seasons. He may have left the area in 2012 but he knows the schools and the coaches. How can he sway a recruit? His record for the last 11 years of getting teams to the playoffs, in the highest football division in Texas. He's been coaching 18 year old kids for years, he knows how to talk to them.

The more I think about Stump being the HC, the more I like the idea.

Stump may not have attended Lamar but he was the HC at West Brook for several seasons. He may have left the area in 2012 but he knows the schools and the coaches. How can he sway a recruit? His record for the last 11 years of getting teams to the playoffs, in the highest football division in Texas. He's been coaching 18 year old kids for years, he knows how to talk to them.

The more I think about Stump being the HC, the more I like the idea.

Seriously how can you like a guy who hasn't even won a state title... Come on... Briles and dodge made dynasties....

barbay, peveto, stump? Cmon, This is the 2nd highest level of college ball. hire someone with some experience.

Todd Cooley-Delta St

hell, go hire Keeler away from shitsville.

I really hate the small time ideas of our fans/ athletics dept. Spend some money get Hauck... You will win a natty lol.

Heard Houston Nutt is interested in the job. Coached FCS school before and turned them into playoff team, also while at Arkansas recruited Golden Triangle, Houston, East Texas hard and was very successful before heading to Ole Miss.

This is more like it!

But I'll have to say I'M SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF THE SECRECY!!!!! WHY THE HELL AREN'T THEY SAYING WHO ALL IS INTERESTED, WHO THEY'RE INTERVIEWING, ETC!!!??? I'M SORRY, I THINK IT'S TOTAL BULLSHIT!!

So on this site I see some one sided bashing of Henderson and Ken Evans with noteworthy omissions of wonderful accomplishments our competition who read this site need to be aware of.Let's start with our new basketball million dollar scoreboard,sound and lighting system which Evan's and Henderson both played a part in making happen.Evans continued the good work of Jimmy Simmons in making Lamar a leader in online classes.They really are good as I tutored with them Algebra and Statistics.Evans has put community leaders and Henderson on fundraising committees and the fundraising was very successful given the annual banquet recently held for major donors.Finally the state granted Lamar an unprecedented large amount of money this year.Over the last 10 or so years we have nice new dorms,soccer,softball,football,cafeteria,exercise and tutorial facilities along with ESPN 3 coverage.coverage.Enrollment has been rising so I think a lot of schools in the conference would gladly exchange places with us.

Of I'm not mistaken, this is a conversation re: our search for a FOOTBALL coach. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass about a score board and online classes right now. When it comes to SPORTS and our ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT, Henderson and Evans have been as wireless as tits on a boar hog. Scoreboards and online classes don't put are asses in seats. Winning does. If someone liKE Craig Stump gets hired as head coach, when we know for a fact that there are more qualified options out there, it tells me that both university president, athletic director, AND the big donors that ultimately call the shots don't give shit about Lamar University Football being relevant OR winning championships. PERIOD. I saw this online and it's so true...

Think Big, Be Big. Think Small, Stay Lamar.

Too much us being made of the consulting firm. Sometimes they don't do anything more than a background search on finalist to make sure there's nothing embarrassing in their background.

Whoever we hire needs to have connections to tx high school coaches, or be able to build them quickly. HS coaches have a BIG influence on where kids go. They also need to show they have the connections to build a good staff no matter the age, experience, etc. If they think Stump's the guy, fine. He better have given them a good roadmap of coaches he thinks he can get on staff.

Also, Puddin's obsession with throwing the ball cracks me up.

Well it is another Friday at 4pm and no coach. Sure Henderson will have to be Christmas shopping this weekend, so maybe next week? Probably busy Monday with home basketball game - maybe Tuesday? Then why not wait until next year, but he did tell the players they would know who their coach will be by Christmas, but maybe he meant Christmas 2017.

Houston Nutt was a fine coach but hasn't been an HC in several years. No Thank you. Until I hear a name like Carthell, that's currently running a successful program, I'm jumping on the Stump Bandwagon. If Stump is the guy, I would imagine that he will retain some of the current assistant coaches, if for no other reason, then to not have to start completely over and to have some consistency in the 2017 recruiting cycle. I expect an announcement early next week, after the playoffs are done.