When are we going to buy what Schultz is selling and my prediction for 2019

Dracula

When Lamar moved on from Woodard, Colby Carthel was #1, on my list, but Lamar hired Schultz. Who? But, you can't argue with the results. In just two years, from 2-9,1-8, in conference, to 7-5,6-3, in conference, and an at large selection,to the FCS playoffs. Schultz is in his 3rd recruiting cycle and it looks to me like he knows what he is doing. In my opinion, for whatever an inexperienced opinion is worth, the team roster looks to be filling out with better players, resulting in better depth, which allows for more redshirted OL and DL players and the luxury of an additional year, in the weight room. Plus, Schultz also has Lamar becoming more attractive to transferring players, like Will Mcbride, who wouldn't have thought about playing for Lamar. I'm all in with Schultz.

My prediction for 2019. Assuming that Lamar plays their usual 11 game schedule of 2 non conference and 9 conference games and not knowing who the second non conference opponent is, I believe that Lamar will finish at 9-2 0r 8-3 and will either win the conference and a berth in the FCS playoffs or be an at large selection to the FCS tournament. Lamar may even host a first round game. The key games, that will tell the tale, are with Nicholls and SFA under new coach Colby Carthel. No, I don't smoke and I don't drink.

Some will never buy in as the Schultz offense isn't what they personally like. For others it will take another year or two, as they wait to see if this years success continues or if it was a fluke of some kind. Did the winning streak happen because LU improved or because of critical injuries or other issues with the opponents over the last half of the year. While it is unlikely that all of the opponents had enough problems internally to allow LU to win, it could be that at least one game involved some kind of internal issue help LU win that game and the confidence from an unexpected win put LU on the winning path. That success might not be repeatable this coming year. I am in the wait and see group.

Taking a patient approach is certainly reasonable but I am liking what I am seeing.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2019/1/3/18167703/texas-longhorns-roster-matrix-2019-nfl-draft

I looked at this schematic form for UT's 2019 roster and Angel's started singing. I wondered what a similar breakdown of Lamar's 2019 roster might look like.

Starting with the QB room. From 2016, with Carson Earp, Andrew Allen, and Blake Mckenzie to 2017, with Darrell Colbert, and then 2018, Darrell Colbert and Jordan Hoy and a trip to the FCS. Look at 2019, with Jordan Hoy, the 2018 Southland Conference Newcomer of the Year plus the transfer of Will McBride from Tennessee. McBride was rated as a 3* and the 29th best dual threat QB in 2017 but things didn't work out for him in Tennessee. Tennessee's loss is Lamar's big gain. Browsing down the roster, I ran across #15, Shane Johnson. A transfer from A&M and who will be a senior in 2019. At 6-2 ,220 lbs, he QB'd Snow College to a 10-1 record and a #4 final ranking, in the NJCAA poll of 2016. There's not a better or more competitive QB room, in the Southland. Darrel Corbert, bless his heart for hanging in, would be the 4th option in this room.

The TE room returns Mason Sikes and Case Robinson. The OL room is filled with players , who had the opportunity to RS and bulk up, and most of the 2018 OL, which led Lamar to a conference #2 rushing ranking, really a 1A rushing ranking just yards per game behind conference rushing leader Nicholls State, who by the way, won the conference and hosted a 1st round game in last season's FCS tournament. The WR's will be better because the QB's all throw better than Colbert.

I think that the defensive side shows similar upside for 2019.

Man, those Angels are getting deafening.

The 2019 squad could and should be very solid so long as the injury bug doesn’t hit. For those that have followed the program since the rebirth we know just how bad things can get.

At QB we saw what Hoy was capable of but it will remain to be seen what he can do when defense have more film on him. Not saying McBride won’t be an impact player but the last QB we got from an SEC school (granted he came to Lamar via JUCO after an SEC school) pretty much flopped at Lamar.

RB should be really good with Wanza and Walker returning.

WR will be decent for the amount they are relied on...don’t forget Kendrick King will be back after going down with a season ending injury week 1.

TE might be the best position group on the team with Robinson and Sikes

If the TE group isn’t the best it might be the OL...will have to replace All-American Garrett Bowery but will also get Chase Bridgeman back from injury as well as another year in the weight room for the returners. the 4 returning starters will all be 4 SRs.

DL will have to replace Garner at DE but we signed 2 JUCO guys to go along with several upperclassman who have seen considerable action.

LB will be a position to watch to see who steps in for the departed Chaston Brooks

DB is the biggest question mark for next year. There will be a lot of new names and faces on the back end and some guys are going to have to step up.

The 2019 squad could and should be very solid so long as the injury bug doesn’t hit. For those that have followed the program since the rebirth we know just how bad things can get.

At QB we saw what Hoy was capable of but it will remain to be seen what he can do when defense have more film on him. Not saying McBride won’t be an impact player but the last QB we got from an SEC school (granted he came to Lamar via JUCO after an SEC school) pretty much flopped at Lamar.

RB should be really good with Wanza and Walker returning.

WR will be decent for the amount they are relied on...don’t forget Kendrick King will be back after going down with a season ending injury week 1.

TE might be the best position group on the team with Robinson and Sikes

If the TE group isn’t the best it might be the OL...will have to replace All-American Garrett Bowery but will also get Chase Bridgeman back from injury as well as another year in the weight room for the returners. the 4 returning starters will all be 4 SRs.

DL will have to replace Garner at DE but we signed 2 JUCO guys to go along with several upperclassman who have seen considerable action.

LB will be a position to watch to see who steps in for the departed Chaston Brooks

DB is the biggest question mark for next year. There will be a lot of new names and faces on the back end and some guys are going to have to step up.

Nate Jones should be eligible this season after missing last yr with what I assume is grades. He was a pretty good DB the year before last. Kevin O'Neill looked like he was really coming on last year at LB before going down with a knee injury. The middle and back of the defense will be the key next year like you said. Brooks was really good as was the secondary. Some kids will need to step up. Can't wait for spring practice!! #PeckEm

Nate Jones should be eligible this season after missing last yr with what I assume is grades. He was a pretty good DB the year before last. Kevin O'Neill looked like he was really coming on last year at LB before going down with a knee injury. The middle and back of the defense will be the key next year like you said. Brooks was really good as was the secondary. Some kids will need to step up. Can't wait for spring practice!! #PeckEm

Forgot about Jones. He was the lone All-SLC representative for the 2017 season and led the league in INTs. Would be a welcomed re-addition to the lineup if he indeed is back.

looks like chaston brooks will be back for another year.

ps://lamarcardinals.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4741&path=football

Not sure why Brooks is still listed on the roster. His bio on the Lamar website shows he played in 11 games in 2015, 2016 & 2017 then 12 games in 2018 so he wouldn’t be eligible for a RS for any reason if that was true.

Getting hyped up about an upcoming LU football season is a lot like the old Peanuts cartoon with Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown to kick. I'm looking forward to next year and maybe they can win the conference. Maybe even the fans will come back and fill the stands. Schultz did something in two years that Woodard couldn't do in his 7 or 8 years at LU so you have to give him that, and Schultz did it with his players so that's a good sign.

Now if Schultz would have pulled a Pat Knight and won with the previous coaches' recruits then I would have my doubts but it sure looks like Schultz has this team headed in the right direction.

Not sure why Brooks is still listed on the roster. His bio on the Lamar website shows he played in 11 games in 2015, 2016 & 2017 then 12 games in 2018 so he wouldn’t be eligible for a RS for any reason if that was true.
Brooks is done with his eligibility. The roster hasn't been completely updated for the coming season. The bios and stats for 2018 aren't complete or correct yet either.

Some will never buy in as the Schultz offense isn't what they personally like. For others it will take another year or two, as they wait to see if this years success continues or if it was a fluke of some kind. Did the winning streak happen because LU improved or because of critical injuries or other issues with the opponents over the last half of the year. While it is unlikely that all of the opponents had enough problems internally to allow LU to win, it could be that at least one game involved some kind of internal issue help LU win that game and the confidence from an unexpected win put LU on the winning path. That success might not be repeatable this coming year. I am in the wait and see group.

You can place me smack dab in the group "will never buy in as the Schultz offense isn't what" I like. Way too much running. Other teams that are normally good were way down last year so that helped. It was fun winning, but when the other schools get their act together they won't just allow us to run all over them. I'll have to look at our schedule to see my prediction but odds are Nicholls and UIW will be better than us. Possibly Sam but I'm not sure their coach is any good. We might get lucky with McNeese undergoing a coaching change. And Carthel has a lot of work to do so we may have one more year of beating them.

Now, if Dulz changes his coaching philosophy then I might be on board. Or, if he's going to stick with this boring a$$ 65% of the time running the ball at least feed Wanza 99% of those..he's fun to watch run. I do like how the defense turned things around and all that blitzing is sweet...(but it's playing with fire against a good QB).