Is this a critcal week for LU MBB

geezer

Is this a critical week for the men's basketball season? I think it could be a determining factor in the chances to get to the SLC tourney. Lamar faces 3-4 Nicholls on Wednesday and then currently 3-4 McNeese Saturday. If the Cards could win both of these road games they would move from tie for 10th place to at least a tie for 8th place. Granted that doesn't sound like much and it is terrible to be even talking about moving up to 8th as a positive, but that is where this team is. Lamar is sitting 2-5 and this weeks opponents are the first two above. You have to win games against the teams closest to where you are to make a difference. This will be the only contest against Nicholls so it fits in the category of if you loose you have to count on someone else to get you even with them.

I realize we still have a mathematical chance to get to Katy, but realistically I think I've given up hope with this team. They can't win on the road and struggle at home. Not sure what would cause any change and turn it around. Maybe wins at Nicholls and McNeese will turn it around?

• 2 weeks later...
Looking back to the week I started this thread Lamar was successful by winning both games on the road during the week and with splitting this past week, the coming week can set the Cards up for a potential strong finish heading toward the conference tourney. Up this week on Wednesday is a game that Lamar should be favored to win as they are at home against currently eleventh place Northwestern St and a game Saturday against conference leader Sam Houston. A split will ensure LU stays at least tied for eighth with five games remaining. Of the last five games four are against opponents the Cards have already defeated and three will be at home. The Cards have passed the test the past two weeks so the game Wednesday is another critical test as LU only plays Northwestern St this one time.