MBB vs Mt Saint Mary's

geezer

Men are at home tonight with a 7:00 PM tip off. Mt St Mary's is out of the Northeast Conference, similar in stature to the SLC. MSM is picked 7th out of 11 teams in their conference. Overall they have good size with only three players under 6'2". They are a fairly young team with no seniors. Could be a good game for the Cards.

Halftime and LU is up 44-28. Overall a good half for the Cards. The Cards are down one in rebounds having given up 9 offensive rebounds to MS, but have only committed five turnovers. While neither Nickerson or Muoka are performing as good as they did in the exhibition they are playing better than they did a Duquesne.

Lamar wins 76-61. Cards seem to ease off the last five minutes, but hold on. Cards finish the game with four players in double figures. Cards end the game with twelve turnovers but do come back to finish the night winning the rebounding edge by three. Kopp was still on the sidelines in street clothes.

Mt Saint Mary’s,basically unknown to the average fan,had played very competitive road games against Georgetown and the 20th ranked Washington Huskies.To me and my friends this was a very good showing by Lamar.Atwood was impressive in the open court and shooting in the lane and outside as was Buster shooting when not forcing shots.Buster,VJ Holmes and our new point guard were solid protecting the ball,making plays for others and closely defending.Our switching defense was mostly solid.The freshman bigs showed promise for the future with their athleticism,hustle,shot blocking and skills.Kopp is expected back soon as he rests his foot 🦶 from injury.This game gave us some optimism for the potential for this team.The attendance was a bit off but those there got into cheering.Even some of the contests at breaks were new this year and entertaining.This team is definitely worth seeing again .

Mt Saint Mary’s,basically unknown to the average fan,had played very competitive road games against Georgetown and the 20th ranked Washington Huskies.To me and my friends this was a very good showing by Lamar.Atwood was impressive in the open court and shooting in the lane and outside as was Buster shooting when not forcing shots.Buster,VJ Holmes and our new point guard were solid protecting the ball,making plays for others and closely defending.Our switching defense was mostly solid.The freshman bigs showed promise for the future with their athleticism,hustle,shot blocking and skills.Kopp is expected back soon as he rests his foot 🦶 from injury.This game gave us some optimism for the potential for this team.The attendance was a bit off but those there got into cheering.Even some of the contests at breaks were new this year and entertaining.This team is definitely worth seeing again .

Nice write up and I agree with your assessment. My nephew and I attended the game.

Best thing about this team is with the youth on this team things look up for the future. Next four games are on the road and against good competition including a trip to Kentucky. If this squad can win one of those four and potentially defeat Rice in the next home game it will be big. Edited by geezer

Best thing about this team is with the youth on this team things look up for the future. Next four games are on the road and against good competition including a trip to Kentucky. If this squad can win one of those four and potentially defeat Rice in the next home game it will be big.

I’ve watched them twice now and actually enjoyed them both. We blew it down the stretch vs Duquesne but that game gave me hope. And we just put it to Mt St Mary’s. Granted, they aren’t Duke but they are D1. Buster is very good, a bit out of control at times but has a ton of talent. Atwood is playing so much better, he’s like a different player. Holmes is really good and seems to be able to keep things under control when Buster goes a bit whacky. And we have some size that can defend and rebound. And we still haven’t go to see what Kopp can do. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed...I may actually go to a game this year