Big Red versus UCA Basketball

geezer

Women are in Conway tonight while the men are home versus UCA at 7:00 PM. UCA men have been somewhat inconsistent this year with a couple of good wins against the better SLC teams and a couple of bad losses. I don't think there are any unwinnable games for LU against SLC competition but every game is a tough game. Hope the Cards are ready. Women are in a similar boat as LU and UCA have identical records to this point in the season.

Almost halfway through the 2nd half the men are still up by five at 50 - 45. Cards are playing reasonably good defense but are shooting poorly in the 2nd half. Also the Cards don't have guard to run the offense. Too much dribbling, too much one man show by each Lamar player.

Much needed win by the men. As Geezer states, very obvious that Lamar is lacking a point guard to setup the offense. Lamar played man to man defense and was successful in keeping UCA’s 3 point shooters from taking over the game as they have done in their last 2 SLC games.

Atwood played 39 minutes and Holmes played 40.They really gutted it out.Kopp played with passion and as he gets stronger and more experience should finish better.He certainly excited the crowd.The bears killed Nortwestern State on the boards but we bested them as Atwood had double digit rebounds showing real grit on the defensive boards.Sohail gave us some solid minutes scoring 9 points and hustling on defense.Three freshmen were in our 7 man rotation and all contributed.

Atwood played 39 minutes and Holmes played 40.They really gutted it out.Kopp played with passion and as he gets stronger and more experience should finish better.He certainly excited the crowd.The bears killed Nortwestern State on the boards but we bested them as Atwood had double digit rebounds showing real grit on the defensive boards.Sohail gave us some solid minutes scoring 9 points and hustling on defense.Three freshmen were in our 7 man rotation and all contributed.

Atwood has turned into a very good player. He came in with a lot of hype but his first two years he struggled, I think he was forcing things way too much. Now he only forces it when we really need a bucket. I sure wish Price could find a way to get Buster under control. He has a load of talent (I know he didn't play this game but we need him to get under control over the next two years). With him, Kopp, Muoka, Sohail, and Nickerson...that's a pretty talented core of young players. (I'm still not sure about Price, I just don't like our half court offense, not enough ball movement/screens/player movement).

Atwood has turned into a very good player. He came in with a lot of hype but his first two years he struggled, I think he was forcing things way too much. Now he only forces it when we really need a bucket. I sure wish Price could find a way to get Buster under control. He has a load of talent (I know he didn't play this game but we need him to get under control over the next two years). With him, Kopp, Muoka, Sohail, and Nickerson...that's a pretty talented core of young players. (I'm still not sure about Price, I just don't like our half court offense, not enough ball movement/screens/player movement).

Add Kasen Harrison to next years talented group.

I tend to agree. From what I saw of Nickerson in the early part of the season he should be getting more playing time. Why does Price only use a seven to eight player rotation when you have at least ten players with similar talent. There are many good programs that have a nine or even ten man rotation. I know that sometimes trying to play to many players can interfere with the groove that some scorers get into, but Lamar doesn't have that many scorers and playing time is the best way to improve prepare players for future years.

Out of 13 scholarships allowed 2 went down with injury.One has medical issues now so we are at 10.In regard to freshman there are many reasons they may not play as freshman.They need to consistently know where to be on offense and defense.They have to go to class and take care of their grades.Most coaches have reasonable reasons backed up by film study and practice observations why kids don’t play.If coaches thought a player gave them a better chance to win they typically play.It would be near impossible to advance far in the conference tournament playing a 7-8 man rotation,including 3 freshmen,with some key players playing all 40 minutes.But,I’m saying there is a small chance if we get at least one bye.That requires a top 4 finish which probably requires us winning 5,preferably 6,of our last 8 conference games.Thats a tall task given we have to play road games at Nichols,Sam Houston,Stephen F.Austin and Abilene Christian which are all the current top 4 teams in the standings.The remaining 4 home games include bottom dwellers HBU and Incarnate Word along with middling McNeese and Corpus.Remember Corpus hung the only loss on the Lumberjacks at Stephen F.

Out of 13 scholarships allowed 2 went down with injury.One has medical issues now so we are at 10.In regard to freshman there are many reasons they may not play as freshman.They need to consistently know where to be on offense and defense.They have to go to class and take care of their grades.Most coaches have reasonable reasons backed up by film study and practice observations why kids don’t play.If coaches thought a player gave them a better chance to win they typically play.It would be near impossible to advance far in the conference tournament playing a 7-8 man rotation,including 3 freshmen,with some key players playing all 40 minutes.But,I’m saying there is a small chance if we get at least one bye.That requires a top 4 finish which probably requires us winning 5,preferably 6,of our last 8 conference games.Thats a tall task given we have to play road games at Nichols,Sam Houston,Stephen F.Austin and Abilene Christian which are all the current top 4 teams in the standings.The remaining 4 home games include bottom dwellers HBU and Incarnate Word along with middling McNeese and Corpus.Remember Corpus hung the only loss on the Lumberjacks at Stephen F.

I don’t see us getting a bye, in fact, I would be ecstatic if we made the tournament.