Big Red Back in Action

lamarfan360

Men's game is typical for a game at SFA, officials are homers. Even with that the Cards are only down by three at the twelve minute mark of the first half. Bennett started and has played well so far. Other starters were Harrison, Muoka, Sullivan and Kopp. We'll see what happens as the Cards begin to substitute. No sign of Buster yet, I wonder if he is sick or hurt again? Edited by geezer

Men's game is typical for a game at SFA, officials are homers. Even with that the Cards are only down by three at the twelve minute mark of the first half. Bennett started and has played well so far. Other starters were Harrison, Muoka, Sullivan and Kopp. We'll see what happens as the Cards begin to substitute. No sign of Buster yet, I wonder if he is sick or hurt again?

Down 27, must be the officials fault

Sorry PeckEm, don't necessarily disagree with assessment of the team overall, but early in the game it was like watching a Duke home game. Every questionable call went in favor of SFA and the same play on the other end wouldn't get called. For what it's worth I understood when Lamar fired Knight and had Price finish the year, but I have said for almost all of his tenure that he is not the coach to return Lamar to excellence. Edited by geezer

You look for a winner and a developer of programs. If you can get lucky and find a coach that was a winner at a lesser program and couldn't make the magic happen in a power conference. great. Otherwise you have to look for successful coaches at lower levels and still be lucky because you can't predict if they can translate their success up a level or two. No matter what I don't think you want to hire someone that doesn't have a record of winning consistently at some level. The overall level of competition goes up next year with the move to the WAC, mediocre in the SLC will translate to a bottom feeder as the other three of the Texas 4 and the top three or four of the current WAC are definitely better in recent history than Lamar. Edited by geezer

You look for a winner and a developer of programs. If you can get lucky and find a coach that was a winner at a lesser program and couldn't make the magic happen in a power conference. great. Otherwise you have to look for successful coaches at lower levels and still be lucky because you can't predict if they can translate their success up a level or two. No matter what I don't think you want to hire someone that doesn't have a record of winning consistently at some level.

Okay, it appears you think the guy needs to have heading coaching experience. What are your thoughts of someone like Pat Foster? He was an assistant at Arkansas.

Bottom line is some amount of luck. Just look back at the previous LU coaches since Foster. Roccoforte was an assistant, Abetemarco was an assistant, I believe Giovani was an assistant and wasn't Alvin Brooks an assistant. On the other end of the spectrum Billy Tubbs was an assistant and there is one for the lucky side.

Bottom line is some amount of luck. Just look back at the previous LU coaches since Foster. Roccoforte was an assistant, Abetemarco was an assistant, I believe Giovani was an assistant and wasn't Alvin Brooks an assistant. On the other end of the spectrum Billy Tubbs was an assistant and there is one for the lucky side.

Sounds good. I agree there is a certain amount of luck involved but what can the administration do to take some of the luck out of this hire. Going in a better basketball conference we need to be competitive.

If they haven't already, start looking now for possible replacements and be willing to up the salary or at least provide some incentive clauses that will make the risk for a semi-proven D1 coach that wants another shot to come to a bottom tier D1 program that Lamar has become over the last thirty years. Yes there have been a good year here and there but overall Lamar basketball has been a disaster for most of that time. Even Price's nineteen and twenty win seasons had a bunch of D2 and lower cupcake wins.

I would agree, and I would not be against the hire, but there is the question of if he has taken or is willing to take steps to assure the same allegations that cost him his job at WSU and he may have had at Winthrop but that did not get exposed do not happen again. To be honest I think WSU might have kept him had he admitted that he might have hit the player at WSU and would be willing to accept additional oversight to begin with.