New Lamar Men's Coach

TexGator

Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Next Head Hoops Coach - Who Ya Got?

• Shaka Smart - He can make us the new VCU (and comes on the cheap)
    • Alvin Brooks III - Alvin's boy can do it!
    • Kellen Sampson - He'll return to UH in a few years, he'll be the new Pat Foster
    • Other - elaborate please

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And one more thing, hopefully Brooks doesn't go after all the traitors that left: Harrison, Kopp, Muoka. I aint about sell-outs.

LOL traitors & sellouts? You are as soft as they are if you think they are traitors for wanting to explore their options when their coach got canned.

Wake up & realize its 2021 and 1979 is looooong gone. Get with it or out!

LOL traitors & sellouts? You are as soft as they are if you think they are traitors for wanting to explore their options when their coach got canned.

It is called honoring a commitment. Something spoiled brat snowflakes know nothing about. Times get a lil tough - I am taking my ball and going home. FYI, 1979 we had a great program; 2021 we suck so 1979 sounds good to me.

Edited by PeckEm

sports guy needs his participation trophy!

It is called honoring a commitment. Something spoiled brat snowflakes know nothing about. Times get a lil tough - I am taking my ball and going home. FYI, 1979 we had a great program; 2021 we suck so 1979 sounds good to me.

Did Lamar honor their commitment to Price?

Look, I dont like the transfer portal about as much as I miss using apostrophes on this website but calling a guy a traitor is extreme for my taste.

The young guys who are leaving might have had potential but that is a dangerous word and we have had enough guys who never amounted to anything.

Time for AB and the new staff to bring in their own guys. We had a 6th place team last year (and barely). In with the new!

Edited by SportsGuy

Did Lamar honor their commitment to Price?

Look, I dont like the transfer portal about as much as I miss using apostrophes on this website but calling a guy a traitor is extreme for my taste.

The young guys who are leaving might have had potential but that is a dangerous word and we have had enough guys who never amounted to anything.

Time for AB and the new staff to bring in their own guys. We had a 6th place team last year (and barely). In with the new!

Of course Lamar honored their commitment to Price. He was given ample opportunity to prove himself.

Arbitrarily calling people you don't like "snowflakes" doesn't win you points.

Why are 18-22 year-old men called snowflakes when they want to move to a new place where they're wanted, but we don't call people who change jobs snowflakes?

Why aren't the 40 to 70 year-old men those supposed snowflakes are playing for called those same names when they leave one job for another?

I believe there were 54 coaching changes announced so far (some are still open; not all were firings). Is Moser above criticism for taking a bigger job? Is Beard above criticism for going to coach his alma mater? What about Roy Williams for "quitting" on his players?

The NCAA for years is not a representative of the athletes but the representative body of the schools. For some reason the majority of the administrators at the schools have eased on the transfer policies, actually to the benefit of the athletes. I personally do not think this is bad, just different. Those that think that being on a college scholarship is not a job is either not informed or not in the real world. Athletes are not guaranteed employment at the school more than one year and are at the whim of the coach to be let go at the end of the academic year.

My concern with the portal is that athletes have to have an objective view of their worth. If you are leaving a school because you are dissatisfied with playing time, you better understand why and select a new program that affords you more time in games. Athletes that are moving to bigger/better programs need to realize that bench time in all probability will increase. With a coaching change, I think all athletes should be allowed to transfer with no penalty. If you are a passing QB, and the new coach runs an option style, you are basically screwed by staying. This easing of transferring does brings in another potential for illegal recruiting, so I see that as the downside.

We as fans do not like this escalation of transfer unless someone transfers in the is a real positive for the program.

FBS football players have been allowed to transfer to FCS schools with no restrictions for years and not much griping seemed to take place. Same was true for D1 to D2 in other sports.

While I am glad Chappell has gotten a position that will potentially improve his coaching possibilities in the future, with all due respect Muoka is making a terrible decision. As with his size, compared to the rest of the current Lamar players he was pretty much guaranteed every opportunity for playing time that his development would allow. Bigger, quicker is needed at Lamar. Reality the only player Lamar lost to the portal that maybe had real potential for the next year or two was Harrison. For me the positive is Brooks has some place to go see if he can get the kind of player Lamar will need to excel out of the portal. Good Luck Coach Brooks.

While I am glad Chappell has gotten a position that will potentially improve his coaching possibilities in the future, with all due respect Muoka is making a terrible decision. As with his size, compared to the rest of the current Lamar players he was pretty much guaranteed every opportunity for playing time that his development would allow. Bigger, quicker is needed at Lamar. Reality the only player Lamar lost to the portal that maybe had real potential for the next year or two was Harrison. For me the positive is Brooks has some place to go see if he can get the kind of player Lamar will need to excel out of the portal. Good Luck Coach Brooks.

Muoka was the DPOY in the SLC and one of the main reasons for our elevated play near the end of the season. On to bigger and better but his loss was be felt.

My comment on Muoka is more about what I believe he will get out of the transfer. Really it is true for all of them. If for some reason your not satisfied that you can do your best where you are you should be looking for somewhere you will improve. For Muoka I saw him with a lot of playing time coming at Lamar, based on the make up of the rest of what is supposed to be back. I expected his defense to improve and hopefully his offense. Remember, he was a project, only had a few years of basketball experience and his potential is based on his height. With the move will he get equal playing time? Will he get better coaching? Will he improve his potential to either play professionally somewhere in the future or enhance his educational experience for whatever his long term career goals are.

Muoka is following Brandon Chapell to UNLV

Our centers just keep transferring to UNLV. First, Anthony Todd, now Muoka. If you don't remember Todd, he transferred when Foster was coach and, I think, when Brooks was a Lamar assistant. Hopefully, it will be another 30+ years before it happens again.