Alvin Brooks named new Lamar MBB coach

SportsGuy

Regarding JUCO athletes,I also would not want all JUCO players but I think that is highly unlikely.Thirty years ago I volunteer tutored basketball players algebra at a prominent JUCO.The young men I tutored ended up at Sam Houston.Jacksonville,McNeese,Wyoming,Tulane,South Alabama Texas A &M and many other D1 schools.All these students had Different strengths and challenges athletically,personally and academically.It is important to note some were guided to our JUCO to better assure getting them to a certain D1 school when they graduated.The great Walter Berry was guided to San Jacinto in hopes he would be guided back to St Johns.What I

Sorry,I thought the punctuation gremlin was hibernating.To summarize,athletes a coach or friend guides to a juco are different than more newly recruited juco players in some important ways.Schools like Florida State and others utilized nearby community colleges to their advantage in past years.Some even ran the same schemes.This is sometimes done with feeder schools to high schools too.I had hoped at some point Lamar Port Arthur would benefit Lamar in a similar way.The increased use of the transfer portal,over 1100 players entered,a forthcoming Supreme Court Ruling on image income rights and players wanting no ineligibility when transferring may change the player retention rate going forward.Alvin Brooks will have to build a program his way.

Sorry,I thought the punctuation gremlin was hibernating.To summarize,athletes a coach or friend guides to a juco are different than more newly recruited juco players in some important ways.Schools like Florida State and others utilized nearby community colleges to their advantage in past years.Some even ran the same schemes.This is sometimes done with feeder schools to high schools too.I had hoped at some point Lamar Port Arthur would benefit Lamar in a similar way.The increased use of the transfer portal,over 1100 players entered,a forthcoming Supreme Court Ruling on image income rights and players wanting no ineligibility when transferring may change the player retention rate going forward.Alvin Brooks will have to build a program his way.

I don't mind a mix of Juco, HS and Prep players. AB was a Juco transfer himself!

I see no athletes at Lamar benefitting from NIL, who would pay to use their name, image, or likeness? I see shoe companies using this as a way to pay athletes to attend schools that have equipment deals with them, and this is probably going on now, it is just under the table.

Who cares about the frigging players that are quitters ?! Let em leave. We were 6-10 in conference and,what, won 10 damn games?? Good lord. We were 12th out of 13 teams in almost every offensive category while playing in one of the worst conferences in the country. We were bottom half in almost every defensive category. A clean slate sounds ideal to me. Players dont run the damn program. They dont want a free education? They dont want to honor their commitment? Fine. Let the snowflakes go. Hopefully Brooks will find better players anyway.

I agree! None of those guys are irreplaceable.

AB now has to get a staff. My first call would be to Jaime McNeily, who was the associate head coach for Buzz Williams the past 2 years. A&M fired him last week as the scapegoat for their disappointing season. He played for UNO and has tremendous Toronto recruiting contacts.

Previously an assistant at Marquette and head coach of the Canadian National Junior Team.