Baseball Hosts Nicholls State Today

Skinny1

Cards lose 1st game of series: 10-3

Cards: 3-9-3

Nicholls: 10-14-0

Lamar took 1st inning lead, but Nicholls scored 4 in top of 2nd. Lamar scored again in 3rd to close the gap to 4-3, but Nicholls again answered with 3 runs in the top of the 4th, then added 2 runs in 5th, and final run in 8th.

Two weeks in hospital with Covid made it hard to keep up but home and doing better. Seems like baseball may have found mediocracy as opposed to a continued chasm. Still lots of room to improve. Splitting four game series really won't allow LU to climb the ladder to the top of the SLC and is another indicator Lamar has a ways to go before moving to a potentially stronger baseball conference next year with the baseball schools of the western portion of the WAC. Arizona and California high school baseball are considered like Texas high school football when it comes to recruiting and pro prospects. Over the years there have been multiple non-power conference schools have tremendous success in the NCAA baseball world. I am glad to see where Lamar baseball is, but we need to start taking three of four and sweeping a series or two to get to the top. Longer term Lamar needs to improve it's hitting and relief pitching. Just my opinion but .250 hitters won't cut it in college baseball. I remember when Lamar's top hitters were around .400 and there was always pressure on the opponents pitcher. Need to get back to there.