MBB at Mississippi St

geezer

Counting tonight's game, the men have six contests before conference play begins. Tonight, is one of the expected losses on the overall schedule, but can Lamar play a competitive game. After that is a cupcake and four games that should be good contests and for most part winnable.

At the half M State is up by eight, 38-30. I think Brooks has played everybody that is available at this point. So far tonight you have to give Lamar credit for their effort. To be within eight points considering they are outsized at every position and getting out rebounded by seven, the Cards have done a good job of taking care of the ball with only three turnovers in the first half. Cards have four players with two fouls including three of the four tallest players available tonight. Edited by geezer

At the half M State is up by eight, 38-30. I think Brooks has played everybody that is available at this point. So far tonight you have to give Lamar credit for their effort. To be within eight points considering they are outsized at every position and getting out rebounded by seven, the Cards have done a good job of taking care of the ball with only three turnovers in the first half. Cards have four players with two fouls including three of the four tallest players available tonight.

Competing much better so far. Trying to run better half court stuff.

Lamar gave a really good effort in this game. Did a better job of keeping the ball moving in the halfcourt offense. Played good defense, especially considering the size disadvantage. Got killed on the boards as M St had 44 rebounds to Lamar's 24. Again, the size difference took its toll in the foul category as M St made seven more free throws than Lamar shot. A positive is that Lamar took care of the ball with only seven turnovers for the game. Roberts had 25 points followed by Buster with 17. Lack of offensive production from the post players looks like it will be the big problem all year, but as there is virtually no experience with the big men, that is to be somewhat expected. I think this is the best the team has looked all year. Cupcake game Sunday at home followed by three more road contests. Hope the Cards start getting some of their other players back.

Killed on the boards/interior. Catt and Carpenter better hit the weights hard in off season. Also wish we would let them post up every once in awhile instead of setting a high pick every play

While I would agree it would be nice to see what these guys could do on a post-up, I don't think they would have been very productive tonight as M St was both taller and more experienced inside. Also, will agree that it would be nice to find a really good inside player. I think with time to recruit and knowing from what he is seeing this year that is probably high on Brooks recruiting priorities.

While I would agree it would be nice to see what these guys could do on a post-up, I don't think they would have been very productive tonight as M St was both taller and more experienced inside. Also, will agree that it would be nice to find a really good inside player. I think with time to recruit and knowing from what he is seeing this year that is probably high on Brooks recruiting priorities.

If you NEVER feed the ball to the post how will you ever find out if they are capable of scoring? Heck, maybe they could even draw a foul or two? Yes, MS State was definitely bigger and stronger but I think it still needs to be part of our offense. Hell, throw it in there, let em catch it and try to kick it right back out.

It usually takes more time and patience to develop a post player. Yes, you should attempt to get the ball into them, but they have to know when to kick the ball back out. Lamar has had a few post players that couldn't figure out the part where you kick the ball back out. Those guys took just as bad and wild shots as the guards that drive to deep into the paint and try to force a shot hoping to get fouled. My opinion, having seen these guys stopped by lesser players than those from M State, is why I said they probably wouldn't have been productive last night. The Lamar post players also need to develop the desire to rebound and not just get the ones that come right to them. Everything I have heard and read says rebounding is as much an attitude as anything else.