Kevin Barbay

TexGator

Kevin Barbay:

- Nederland HS alum

- former Warren HS HFC

- former Lamar assistant

- former SFA OC

- current Appalachian State OC who just had his offense run the ball down the Aggies throats and nearly beat Mack Brown's UNC (putting over 60 on the scoreboard).

While I'm 100% for giving a coach time to implement his system and get his guys, I wonder whether others have a number in their head on what it would take to keep O'Malley from talking to Barbay's agent. I think 5-6 or less (with the best facilities and alumni donors in the Southland) leads to that phone call happening.

Do you think Lamar could offer enough money to make it possible. I am sure App St probably isn't paying their assistants that much but with the possibilities of moving up to a more prestigious program in the future do you think he would consider Head Coaching at Lamar?

Do you think Lamar could offer enough money to make it possible. I am sure App St probably isn't paying their assistants that much but with the possibilities of moving up to a more prestigious program in the future do you think he would consider Head Coaching at Lamar?

He's been a G5 coordinator twice already. I'm sure he feels like he's ready for the "big office"- the real question is whether he sees himself as 1 stop from a big job (take a Power-5 OC job for a year or two and suddenly he's HFC for a Group of Five) or whether he wants to get a HFC position sooner and go to an FCS school.

While I don't know much about him (other than what most people in SETEX know about him from his HS playing and coaching days... and his time at Lamar), I would guess Lamar is a program he'd consider, if he was willing to prove it on the FCS level as a HC because of his local ties. I wouldn't EXPECT that he'd take a big hometown discount, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

Matching Brooks' salary wouldn't be expecting too much for an offer. Regardless, the program is currently listless and he would bring an excitement... initial excitement aside, winning needs to happen soon.

He's been a G5 coordinator twice already. I'm sure he feels like he's ready for the "big office"- the real question is whether he sees himself as 1 stop from a big job (take a Power-5 OC job for a year or two and suddenly he's HFC for a Group of Five) or whether he wants to get a HFC position sooner and go to an FCS school.

While I don't know much about him (other than what most people in SETEX know about him from his HS playing and coaching days... and his time at Lamar), I would guess Lamar is a program he'd consider, if he was willing to prove it on the FCS level as a HC because of his local ties. I wouldn't EXPECT that he'd take a big hometown discount, but it also wouldn't surprise me.

Matching Brooks' salary wouldn't be expecting too much for an offer. Regardless, the program is currently listless and he would bring an excitement... initial excitement aside, winning needs to happen soon.

It is not just local ties but he is a Lamar alum.

https://appstatesports.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-barbay/1207

Morgan makes $265k and his contact ends in 2023. I read the App State assistant salary pool is $1.5 million or about $170k per coach. As OC I would think Barbay makes more, probably around what Morgan makes.

If Morgan has a successful year or two I bet LU extends his contract. That seems to be the pattern. If not and nobody has snatched Barbay by then he could be available. I guess anything is possible between now and then.