Coach Morgan fired - Time to pick a new coach

TexGator

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offer the head coach at UIW more money

Gotta make sure a booster is ready to open up the checkbook. Remember that, while our stadium is named for one of the most powerful law firms in the country, theirs is named after the late owner of the Saints; they have boosters, too.

I'd love to see Coach Kinne get plucked up but someone's gotta be that "Tilman Fertitta style" booster that just says, "Just tell me the number and I'll get him and his family on my plane tonight."

Assuming this isn't an option. Come up with some names. You've come up with great names in the past.

ok, for shit and grins. We will get somebody we have never heard of, which isnt necessarily bad

in no particular order, just names

ron roberts asst at baylor. Was at sela

pete shinnick hc. west florida pennsacola for bmt. Sure

scotty walden hc. austin peay. Hes from texas

major applewhite asst so bammy

jeff girsch. Hc angelo st. His qb is from high island!

Somebody who played offense at texas tech

I would think a successful coordinator at a P5 school would be great, but they are making a minimum of twice what LU will be paying ($300k at best?).

I just want the best person who has the combination of Head Coach management skills and sales pitch (on both the players and fan base) to turn the program around and win big!!

I would think a successful coordinator at a P5 school would be great, but they are making a minimum of twice what LU will be paying ($300k at best?).

I just want the best person who has the combination of Head Coach management skills and sales pitch (on both the players and fan base) to turn the program around and win big!!

the interweb says he makes 281k and the interweb never lies!

I just thru his name out there cuz i heard of him.

i think Morgan showed, we need to pass. You can pass on anybody. Run? Not so much. First game after however long football was cancelled, Bevil was throwing all over

the interweb says he makes 281k and the interweb never lies!

I just thru his name out there cuz i heard of him.

i think Morgan showed, we need to pass. You can pass on anybody. Run? Not so much. First game after however long football was cancelled, Bevil was throwing all over

Well, in reality, our most successful coach was Woodard. I would bring him back WAY before I would consider Dultz

I agree. Even if they aren't making twice what Lamar is willing to pay, if they're good at their job, they'd be in line for a big raise or moving to another P5 program where that raise would come (like the OCs at SMU and TCU).

ok, for shit and grins. We will get somebody we have never heard of, which isnt necessarily bad

in no particular order, just names

ron roberts asst at baylor. Was at sela

pete shinnick hc. west florida pennsacola for bmt. Sure

scotty walden hc. austin peay. Hes from texas

major applewhite asst so bammy

jeff girsch. Hc angelo st. His qb is from high island!

Somebody who played offense at texas tech

Scotty Walden signed a 4-year deal in 2020 making 250k the first year, then 270k the next. He might be obtainable.

Scotty Walden signed a 4-year deal in 2020 making 250k the first year, then 270k the next. He might be obtainable.

Paycheck aside, my first question for him would be to ask him about stepping down mid-season as interim coach at an FBS school to take an FCS job (and yes, I do remember how the FBS and FCS seasons didn't overlap); was it that he was told he was out of the running for the long-term job?

I like his Texas roots and the fact he looks to have a 17-8 record at Austin Peay against FCS opponents (might have missed one but it looks like they didn't play down at all and 3 of his losses were to Mississippi, Western Kentucky, and Alabama).

What's his plan to get into Houston area recruits' living rooms? I can't find his 2016 ETBU roster but we know that, if you're going to compete in Texas, you've got to hit Houston and Dallas hard in recruiting.

Paycheck aside, my first question for him would be to ask him about stepping down mid-season as interim coach at an FBS school to take an FCS job (and yes, I do remember how the FBS and FCS seasons didn't overlap); was it that he was told he was out of the running for the long-term job?

I like his Texas roots and the fact he looks to have a 17-8 record at Austin Peay against FCS opponents (might have missed one but it looks like they didn't play down at all and 3 of his losses were to Mississippi, Western Kentucky, and Alabama).

What's his plan to get into Houston area recruits' living rooms? I can't find his 2016 ETBU roster but we know that, if you're going to compete in Texas, you've got to hit Houston and Dallas hard in recruiting.

On the plus side the LU President does have connections to Austin Peay. On the down side, why leave a successful program to come to the mess he'll inherit at Lamar? and for probably not that much more money. He would also be leaving behind a student body that chants "Let's go Peay!" at athletic events.

On the plus side the LU President does have connections to Austin Peay. On the down side, why leave a successful program to come to the mess he'll inherit at Lamar? and for probably not that much more money. He would also be leaving behind a student body that chants "Let's go Peay!" at athletic events.

Yeah, this was my thought as well. There is really no reason to leave a winning FCS program to go to a struggling FCS program. I am sure his ego is telling him (and maybe rightfully so) that his next stop should be a FBS school. There are plenty of hungry coaches out there who would like to come to Lamar and could revitalize the program with good recruiting and (at least for now) finding some good portal player transfers. I did not understand the last hire when it happened, but I hoped it would work out. To be successful at Lamar, I think you need a pass-happy offensive coach that can bring in some local talent that can bring excitement to the fans (says Mr. Obvious:rolleyes:) Maybe they have someone in mind already, since the coaching search has probably been in the "quiet phase" for some time now. I am familiar with another program that did a coaching search about 5 years back and hired someone who was unknown to most fans, and it worked out pretty well. That would be Billy Napier. Hopefully the administration will surprise all of us and pull one out of their hats.

So, who do we bring in to get the program pointed in the right direction?

We need to narrow down a list to 4. We are the hiring committee. Major Applewhite is out if he is making that kind of money. Scotty Walden is a doubtful, probably a no. We have to come up with a pick so we can bash the administration when they make another idiotic hire

We need to narrow down a list to 4. We are the hiring committee. Major Applewhite is out if he is making that kind of money. Scotty Walden is a doubtful, probably a no. We have to come up with a pick so we can bash the administration when they make another idiotic hire

Scott Frost? I doubt he would ever go FCS