MBB versus Pacific

geezer

Lamar closes out the nonconference schedule Tuesday evening at home against Pacific. Pacific is ranked 253, so Lamar should be in for another beat down. Hard to figure out their roster, it shows 25 players have played, but they don't have a lot of height. Pretty good mix of classes. Edited by geezer

At the 12-minute timeout mark, Pacific up by five 14-9 with eleven of the fourteen coming off of five Lamar turnovers. Four of the five turnovers are by Lamar's guards. Fortunately, Pacific is creating turnovers also, but Lamar hasn't scored off of one yet.

Cards down by fourteen with 3:53 left in the half. Cards have nine turnovers and are shooting a poor 31% from the field. Looks like Lamar has even more injuries, as Harris hasn't played tonight and I know that Catt, Thirdkill, Anderson and Spencer have missed several games with injuries. Edited by geezer

Lamar continued to struggle early in the second half, but finally Brooks was forced to play Yamanouchi and Hamilton together and both of them along with Calmese began to score. Lamar climbed back from twenty-four points down to wind up falling by nine, 74-65. Positives in the second half was the play of Hamilton finishing the game with twenty-three points and nine rebounds and Yamanouchi finishing with ten points and fifteen rebounds. Cardinals only committed three turnovers in the second half. Biggest negative of the second half is Pennebaker went out with a twisted ankle and never returned. Hopefully the eleven days between games will give Lamar time for some healing before Lamar hosts McNeese on New Year's Eve to open conference play. If Lamar can get another big man or two back healthy, maybe Brooks will go with a bigger line up for more of the game.

Lamar continued to struggle early in the second half, but finally Brooks was forced to play Yamanouchi and Hamilton together and both of them along with Calmese began to score. Lamar climbed back from twenty-four points down to wind up falling by nine, 74-65. Positives in the second half was the play of Hamilton finishing the game with twenty-three points and nine rebounds and Yamanouchi finishing with ten points and fifteen rebounds. Cardinals only committed three turnovers in the second half. Biggest negative of the second half is Pennebaker went out with a twisted ankle and never returned. Hopefully the eleven days between games will give Lamar time for some healing before Lamar hosts McNeese on New Year's Eve to open conference play. If Lamar can get another big man or two back healthy, maybe Brooks will go with a bigger line up for more of the game.

I wonder if the second half performance will wake Brooks up to trying something different than having a bunch of little guards dribbling around throwing up crappy shots? I won't hold my breath.

I'm no coach (no matter what my handle says), but it seems to me a good coach would have recognized this a lot sooner in the game. Or maybe, just maybe, during practice the coaches would have a good idea of what the best lineup is for scoring.

I will say that Hamilton picked up two fouls fairly early in the first half when he came in, so as do most coaches he sat him almost all of the rest of the half. The big difference was without the crazy shots and the turnovers from the small guards Lamar was more efficient. Edited by geezer

I'm no coach (no matter what my handle says), but it seems to me a good coach would have recognized this a lot sooner in the game. Or maybe, just maybe, during practice the coaches would have a good idea of what the best lineup is for scoring.

It was clear to me by the second or third game that Hamilton, by far, is the best player on the team. Brooks is totally wasting his talent with whatever that crap is they do on the offensive side of the court.

I will say that Hamilton picked up two fouls fairly early in the first half when he came in, so as do most coaches he sat him almost all of the rest of the half. The big difference was without the crazy shots and the turnovers from the small guards Lamar was more efficient.

Well I totally get that he would bench him with 2 fouls but where has he been most of the season. Idk, maybe he was hurt a while but even when he is not hurt he doesnt touch the ball nearly enough. Most of the time he is almost ignored/an after thought. They need to get that kid the ball as much as possible!!

Well I totally get that he would bench him with 2 fouls but where has he been most of the season. Idk, maybe he was hurt a while but even when he is not hurt he doesnt touch the ball nearly enough. Most of the time he is almost ignored/an after thought. They need to get that kid the ball as much as possible!!

He has been injured for part of the season, was under limited minutes for some more and suffers from the SLC big man foul trouble problem. On the other hand, the three-guard weave that Brooks seems to be in love with, fails to work the ball into the big men especially with a similar problem to last year, with selfish guards.

He has been injured for part of the season, was under limited minutes for some more and suffers from the SLC big man foul trouble problem. On the other hand, the three-guard weave that Brooks seems to be in love with, fails to work the ball into the big men especially with a similar problem to last year, with selfish guards.

That weave is the dumbest crap I have ever seen. Worse than the high pick and roll every play. Worse than the football flexbone. Guys passing/handing the ball to each other 30 feet from the basket. Drive me freaking insane. Guys setting fake picks. Nobody knows how to post up. Soft. Pathetic. Bullshit. Ooops.