2024 Football Preseason Talk

Cards finished last year at 6-5.  Although two of the four non-conference opponents were FCS playoff schools, this year's overall schedule may be tougher besides having a twelfth game.  Lamar doesn't play HCU this year, play SFA instead as the conference made adjustments to bring SFA back.  With that change alone the conference schedule is a little tougher.  I think that 7-5 is the low expectation and anything above is a real improvement.

On 7/28/2024 at 3:32 AM, SportsGuy said:

Playoffs or bust!! 

I disagree.  To me "Playoffs or bust!!" means Rosso's out if they don't make it.
He's building something, in my opinion, that could be the best year in Lamar Football history (or at least since they brought it back) but that doesn't mean it's necessarily mean they have to be in the FCS Playoffs like they were in 2018. Every break went that team's way in conference.

I've got it as:
Texas State: LOSS
Mississippi Valley State: WIN
Weber State: WIN
Texas Southern: WIN
Central Arkansas: WIN
Stephen F. Austin: WIN (Homecoming)
TAMU-Commerce: WIN
Northwestern State: WIN (sitting in the driver's seat for the playoffs- knowing 2 of 4 might get us in... 3 of 4 DEFINITELY gets us in... but have the top 3 in the conference up next))
Southeastern Louisiana: LOSS (Provost Umphrey is rockin'... if we do win it, we're getting some major rankings love)
Incarnate Word: LOSS (would have it as a win, if it was in Beaumont)
Nicholls: LOSS
McNeese: WIN
That record would put us 4th in conference and I don't see the Southland getting a 4th team. 2 definitely, 3's the limit.

Going over the roster I noticed a number of the signees either didn't make it to campus or came in the spring and didn't stay.  Wonder if anyone knows what happened to any of them

IviolaOluwa Solomi            DL   Denton Braswell

Amari Williams                   DL   Miami Beach Liberty

Isaiah Memefee                 DB   Lufkin

Jameer Muhammed           RB   Fort Worth Carter-Riverside

Omarion Rasberry              RB   Garrison (Tx)

Dominic Eldridge                OL   Blinn

Dameon Smallwood           OL    North Texas

Also noticed one new addition to the roster from Japan.  Wonder what the story is on him

Daiki Yoshikawa                LB   Tokyo Kosei HS

A Look at the Cards 2024 Quarterbacks - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)         Interesting take on the quarterbacks.  While I believe Coleman's performance last year was a solid improvement compared to Lamar's Qbs the previous couple of years, sadly I don't believe it was enough.  Where Lamar ranked in passing offense wasn't necessarily on the quarterback, the receivers, offensive line pass blocking and the general offensive strategy all played a part.  The positive I see is the potential of the red shirt freshman and the incoming freshman to push both Coleman and Longino.

On 8/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, WildCard said:

Going over the roster I noticed a number of the signees either didn't make it to campus or came in the spring and didn't stay.  Wonder if anyone knows what happened to any of them

Also noticed one new addition to the roster from Japan.  Wonder what the story is on him

I searched and could not find anything on Menefee and Rasberry being anywhere else .  Rasberry's X account still shows Lamar.  I am thinking they may have had an academic issue getting in, but really have no clue.  Both, from their HS careers, look like they would be really good additions. 

I went back this morning and looked at the roster.  I do not have "snapshots" of the earlier 2024 rosters, but it seems like there are a lot of new names I have not seen before and I am sure there are missing names.  Maybe some of you guys have more intelligence on what is going on with the roster.  

A Look at the Cards 2024 Offensive Line - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)

Critical part of team for improvement.  Per the article Lamar has quite a bit of experience especially compared to a few years ago.  Looking at last years results this may be the offensive group that really needs to step up.  The other offensive groups seemed to have reasonably successful stats last year but total yards per game wasn't enough in my opinion.  Thinking back on last year all groups had room to improve, but it starts in the trenches and the difference between say four and six yards per carry is not allowing penetration into the backfield and getting down field blocks.  The difference between thirteen yards per catch and eighteen are more is protecting the quarterback so he can find the longer routes.  I'm optimistic but need to see results.

Defense Shines in Midweek Scrimmage - Lamar University Athletics (lamarcardinals.com)

Glad to see the defense step up.  The doubter in me says yeah, but it was against the Lamar offense and though I don't know how the time of possessions compared to true game conditions and how many of the interceptions were with the backups playing the stats and completion average doesn't inspire competence.

Need to see a step forward on offense, more balance although I loved the efficiency of our running game but we need to play more complementary football.

It’s Frisco or busy, baby!!

Pete’s taking this group to the moon, buckle up Cardinals!!

On 8/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, WildCard said:

The updated roster includes both Solomi and Muhammed