How will the SLC compare to the UAC (Joint WAC and ASUN) in 2024

geezer

The SLC and UAC are probably second tier FCS conferences in football.  They have some head to head games in the non-conference, so how will that turn out.  First up is Week 0 Tarleton State versus McNeese St.  McNeese went winless in games played last year including an opening loss to Tarleton.  Tarleton finished the year 8-3 including three wins against current year SLC schools.  Lamar will play Central Arkansas in a few weeks, not sure how many other head to head games are on the schedules.

McNeese came back against Tarleton to make it a close game, missing a potential game tying field goal as time ran out.  McNeese has a transfer quarterback who started for Montana last year in the FCS playoffs and a total of 59 new players this year.

Five total intra=conference games this season, with three involving Tarleton and one against each Central Arkansas and Abilene Christian.  UCA is picked to win their conference with Tarleton tabbed for second place.  UCA starts the season ranked eleventh while Tarleton State is ranked twenty-first.  UIW is the highest ranked SLC school at number fourteen with Nicholls sitting at twenty-three.

3 hours ago, redbird2002 said:

If we are going to be stuck in the SLC for a while, getting UCA back in the fold, reeling in Tarleton State and kicking out some of the Louisiana schools would go a long way in improving the perception of the league.

I 100% agree. It takes a while to kick someone out of a league since you have to give them time to meet standards.
If you want something in less than 8-10 years down the road, it's easier to simply start a new league. While it didn't pay off for Lamar, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, Southwestern Louisiana, New Orleans, and UTPA doesn't mean it can't.
C-USA and the Mountain West thrived... one with the scraps of conferences, one with the "haves" of another conference.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2024 at 7:13 PM, geezer said:

McNeese came back against Tarleton to make it a close game, missing a potential game tying field goal as time ran out.  McNeese has a transfer quarterback who started for Montana last year in the FCS playoffs and a total of 59 new players this year.

Tarleton was well ahead at halftime but also lost their QB going into the half.  They didn't score or move the ball in second half so McNeese basically had the ball for the whole 2nd half.  Not sure how much the comeback means.  With their starting QB, Tarleton was clearly the better team.

On 8/28/2024 at 7:48 PM, TexGator said:

I 100% agree. It takes a while to kick someone out of a league since you have to give them time to meet standards.
If you want something in less than 8-10 years down the road, it's easier to simply start a new league. While it didn't pay off for Lamar, Louisiana Tech, Arkansas State, Southwestern Louisiana, New Orleans, and UTPA doesn't mean it can't.
C-USA and the Mountain West thrived... one with the scraps of conferences, one with the "haves" of another conference.

With the exception of uno, i enjoy playing the weeziana schools. Could give a shit about tarelton and ut valley school. 

conference usa is a frickin fbs joke

On 9/4/2024 at 9:57 AM, coachacola said:

Massey Ratings (9/4)

Top 5 in SLC

• Incarnate Ward - 26
  • Nicholls - 48
  • Lamar - 58
  • SFA - 61
  • SLU - 64

Top 5 in UAC

• Central Arkansas - 18
  • Austin Peay - 32
  • Southern Utah - 33
  • ACU - 34
  • Tarleton - 43

https://masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf&sub=fcs

Overall, it seems the SLC is just a step behind the UCA. I think our teams would fare well in their league and vice versa, but for now both groups look like one bid leagues. Gotta hope our conference finishes non conference strong to shore up the ratings 

If I have read all the weekly schedules correctly, the SLC has ten games against Big Sky opponents, eleven against the SWAC and four against MVFC opponents in addition to the five against UAC.  I think the SLC has a chance to prove it is worth more than one bid, but everyone has to perform well against these other FCS teams.

18 hours ago, geezer said:

If I have read all the weekly schedules correctly, the SLC has ten games against Big Sky opponents, eleven against the SWAC and four against MVFC opponents in addition to the five against UAC.  I think the SLC has a chance to prove it is worth more than one bid, but everyone has to perform well against these other FCS teams.

Big Sky team Weber State is rated pretty high and they come to LU next weekend, then play at NW State, then plays McNeese at home.  Interesting they chose to play 3 SLC teams in a row.