O line

madams

who do they have in line for center? Gillam is a Junior so he only has 2 more seasons, right? Heard there were some freshman working out with team who were supposedly very strong and powerful. Treadway is on Roster as OL what is he going to play? Are there any other OL schloarship or non scholarship not on roster yet? O line seems a little weak still...

Guest CardAmbassador

Gillam is the center yes.

The biggest new addition is Brock Wempa.

One of the freshman that will be arriving on campus is from Rusk, can't think of his name right now. He looks like he might be able to get some time this year. There is also Utterback who was a walkon last year.

This is definitely an area for concern but we did add a good coach and a few players here so we can't complain too much.

I'm pretty optimistic about the O-line even though starters Campbell, Oden and Epple are gone. The new starting 5 are Brock, Wempa, Gillam, Robertson and Babin. Back in 2010 Gillam, Robertson and Babin were starters as true freshmen so that's an experienced group right there. The O-line will probably be a little undersized with Gillam the smallest at around 275. Backups Davis and Collins are both over 300 lbs and it's been mentioned elsewhere that Brock is now around 290.

Robertson was a Juco TR last season, but he got a lot of playing time.

You're right. I must have been thinking of Bailey who's no longer with the team. There's also Kameron Edwards who started 8 games in 2010 but redshirted last year. He wasn't on the spring 2-deep but he should see plenty of playing time.

There's a good discussion on the O-line in this thread: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=196&topic=37169.0

Here's a projected 2-deep heading into practice:

Left Tackle

77 Justin Brock 6-4 285 Fr.-RS

56 Kameron Edwards 6-3 275 SR-1L

Left Guard

72 Brock Wempa 6-2 310 Jr.-TR

73 Scott Utterback 6-1 285 Fr.-RS

Center

64 Kyle Gillam 6-1 275 Jr.-2L

65 Ryan Jones 6-4 260

Right Guard

50 Sean Robertson 6-1 280 Sr.1L

58 Bret Treadway 6-2 260 1 FR-HS (Very strong and can move pretty well)

Right Tackle

61 Colton Collins 6-3 310 Sr.-1L

75 Taylor Davis 6-3 300 5 JR-1L -or-

70 Stephen Babin 6-4 280 Jr.-2L

Ryan Jones is the backup center. He played on the defensive line in 2010 then redshirted last year.

There's a good discussion on the O-line in this thread: http://bigredinsider.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=196&topic=37169.0

Here's a projected 2-deep heading into practice:

Left Tackle

56 Kameron Edwards 6-3 275 SR-1L

Left Guard

73 Scott Utterback 6-1 285 Fr.-RS

Center

65 Ryan Jones 6-4 260

Right Guard

50 Sean Robertson 6-1 280 Sr.1L

58 Bret Treadway 6-2 260 1 FR-HS (Very strong and can move pretty well)

Right Tackle

75 Taylor Davis 6-3 300 5 JR-1L

70 Stephen Babin 6-4 280 Jr.-2L

Ryan Jones is the backup center. He played on the defensive line in 2010 then redshirted last year.

From what I hear the starters go as followed:

Left Tackle

75 Taylor Davis 6-3 300 5 JR-1L

Left Guard

Center

65 Ryan Jones 6-4 260

Right Guard

66 Marshall Fairchild 6-3 290 5 JR-2L

67 Ian Kelso 6-0 280 5 JR-2L

Right Tackle

70 Stephen Babin 6-4 280 Jr.-2L/56 Kameron Edwards 6-3 275 SR-1L

IR as of NOW, will change though:

73 Scott Utterback 6-1 285 Fr.-RS (pulled hamstring)

50 Sean Robertson 6-1 280 Sr.1L (broken hand, almost healed)

I think that the left gaurd spot is wide open. I think that Wempa is overwight and slow, and Utterback is not 100%. Colton will be a good fill in and may keep the job all year.

Robertson will get the starting spot at Right Gaurd once he is back to 100%.

The RT spot is open between Kameron and Babin. Both are pretty slow and seem to have a hard time moving laterally. I could see someone else coming in to suprise everyone to grab that spot.

According to the updated roster, both Wempa and Babin weigh a lot more than before. Wempa is at 345 and Babin at 315. Collins is down to 275 so I'm guessing he's in great shape and that's why he might be a starter. Mike t was right about Brock, he's listed at 280 now.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

how do you guys know how much they weigh? wempa is not 345

Coach said he weighed 245, not 345

Coach typed wrong. Roster says 345!

Guest bossman73
Like I said NO WAY 345lbs. just put the pads on and you will see who can take on a 300lb DT. That is all im going to say about this.

Guest CardAmbassador
I have no idea who's right but I went ahead and did a quick check on the +/- for players from last year. Quite a few guys have put on 10 to 15 lbs.

I actually got a chance to watch the OLine vs DLine in 1v1 pass rush yesterday and I was pretty surprised at who did well, and who didn't.

Brock moves well and is strong, very good pass blocker.

Colton stays infront well, but needs to work on footwork.

Gillam has good leverage, and center of balance.

Fairchild is slow and has bad footwork(Hopefully Sean will be back soon)

Babin has a good set but moves very slow. If he gets rushed by a fast DE he will get beat.

Kameron stays upright well, but has the same problem as Colton and Babin.

Davis moves well but needs to get a nasty side to him.

Wempa is slow and very out of shape. The whole practice he was short of breath and slothed around.

People that surprised me:

Kelso impressed me with his strength and footwork, if he keeps working he will help the OL very much this year.

Tredway showed his strength going against the starting DL. He has wonderful footwork and will be great for the team. May be seeing some of him this year.

Baxley surprised me with his footwork and leverage. If he puts on a few pounds I could see him getting some playing time this season.

Guest NorthoftheBorder
Here's hoping that McKnight can work some magic and these O-line guys will put in the work to become a force. We have RB's in place to have a great rushing game. Nothing opens up the passing game like a great rushing attack. When the defensive front 7 is on there heals then we will have an effective offense. We need a strong o-line surge to be able to do that.

Here's hoping that McKnight can work some magic and these O-line guys will put in the work to become a force. We have RB's in place to have a great rushing game. Nothing opens up the passing game like a great rushing attack. When the defensive front 7 is on there heals then we will have an effective offense. We need a strong o-line surge to be able to do that.

I agree 100% We need to get nasty, a little mean side to us. Our O-Line is to soft. We need guys with the heart that show they want to play, not just for a letter jacket.

I saw some good and bad play from the o-line last night during the simulation portion of practice. They good and bad moments in pass protection and run blocking. If they can gain some consistency I think they'll be ok.

Guest NorthoftheBorder

I agree 100% We need to get nasty, a little mean side to us. Our O-Line is to soft. We need guys with the heart that show they want to play, not just for a letter jacket.

These guys need to run up to the line of scrimmage with the same mentality that the Pittsburgh Steeler O-line had in the 70's. If they get to that point, then we will win championships. I think McKnight has that kind of mentality.

Guest CardAmbassador

Please stop making references towards wempas weight, he recently overcame bulimia

Also the rumor has it that the whole o line has matching tattoos on their left butt cheeks

:o

Irony.