**Lamar Cardinals vs. University of Louisiana at Lafayette -2012 Season Opener**

Guest CardAmbassador

I actually think we might have a fair shot with Hawaii

bahahaha!!!

How did I miss that. Hawaii held the #1 team in FBS to 49 points and Lamar could only hold a Sunbelt team to 40 points before they put in the subs.

Hawaii will put 50 points on Lamar. They beat UC Davis last year 56-14 and they only finished the year 6-7

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CardinalClaw

Very disappointed in our offense, there is no excuse for a performance like that. Some of the blame does go to the coaching staff.

Be realistic we are not beating Hawaii.

Guest bigred360
God, I just got back from the game and it was terrible. At least 5 TO's, only about 7 first downs as we couldn't move the ball and gave them a short field on several occasions. Then it was raining. Geez!! However, I have a fun time on the bus trip to the game. Hear they are planning a bus trip to UCA later this season and you can't beat the cost if you want to travel and watch the Cards play.

Guest kakat10
I watched the game last night on cable, here are my observations. You guys have to tackle better, bottom line. There were too many broken or missed tackles that added 5 yards each time. I think if there is a positive it's the fact your defense held the second/third team scoreless in the second half. I think there needs to be more discipline on the defensive side of the ball. IMO you don't "run your mouth" at the other team when they have you down, it's just stupid. The good news in both of these things is this, it can be fixed by coaching. The thing that's most troubling to me was your O couldn't score against their 2/3 D. You guys have huge question marks on the OL and seemed out of sync at the skill positions. - When any team from the SLC is playing an FBS school I set rivalries aside and support the Southland. I was hoping for more from Lamar. I think a loss to PVAM is a game changer for your season. Losing to ULL was expected, losing to PVAM isn't.

Guest Crawfish

Cajun Field was built in the early 70s and has never had a major renovation. They do have a nice 120 yard indoor practice facility and their other sport venues are nice (softball, baseball, and mens basketball) They currently have a consulting company creating a master plan for the stadium renovation as well as a long term plan for all of the faclilties. From what I have heard the upper deck will be razed and a new lower profile upper deck will be constructed with luxury boxes running the length of the upper deck. All of the seating areas will be renovated and new seating will be added in the south end zone bringing the capasity to aroun 51K. Money is being raised throught the Ragin Cajun Atletic Foundation which has raised the extra money to raise Coach Hud's pay to around $850K+ incentives a year.

Anyway the Cards will get back on track next week and beat PVAM. ;D

just got back from lafayette.glad i made the trip.the cajuns got a good thing going over there.wasnt impressed with the faclities though.like our stadium and fieldhouse much better.ul-l has a good team.you could see the difference in fbs vs fcs talent right away.ul-l had a huge size advantage.i wont go into our offensive struggles but our o-line looked small.we have got to recruit bigger lineman.end of story.i was proud of the defense.they really didnt play that bad.what i did see was for the most part was a little better organization on the sideline.coaches seemed to know what they were doing.players also seemed to stay in focused after we got behind and seemed to be into the game.i hope this is something we can build on.

Guest CardAmbassador

Box score says LU had 13 first downs to.... get this 15 first downs for ULL. We moved the ball 30 to 40 yards a couple of times but then we turned it over or we stalled.

It's still encouraging to see that we got 13 first downs. Bad snaps also cost us on offense, with better snaps we might have extended some of those drives.

Lamar QBs were 18-29

ULL QBs were 13-27

Rushing attempts is where we failed only averaging 1 yd/carry on 37 attempts.

we also had 1 INT that was a tip off our wr's hands. So the QBs were not throwing it away like we did last year.

We had 194 yds of total offense with no big plays, thats alot of small ball that we didn't know how to play last year.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322450309

Look at the stats, our offensive line was bad yeah, but I think we looked better than last year. If this was last years team we probably lose by alot more and don't get nearly that many first downs.

Lamar's offense barely scored in the spring game so it's not surprising they had a hard time scoring against UL-L, but I think everyone thought LU would at least score a few points. I think they need to stick with one QB so they can develop some chemistry or it's going to be like last year and we'll see more blowout games.

Solid post kakat10. I agree with your post on all of it. Turnovers will kill any team. We were so far behind early, we took ourselves out of the game. At that point, we were just trying to stop the bleeding.

Guest CardinalClaw

Lamar's offense barely scored in the spring game so it's not surprising they had a hard time scoring against UL-L, but I think everyone thought LU would at least score a few points. I think they need to stick with one QB so they can develop some chemistry or it's going to be like last year and we'll see more blowout games.

+1

Guest NorthoftheBorder

I watched the game last night on cable, here are my observations. You guys have to tackle better, bottom line. There were too many broken or missed tackles that added 5 yards each time. I think if there is a positive it's the fact your defense held the second/third team scoreless in the second half. I think there needs to be more discipline on the defensive side of the ball. IMO you don't "run your mouth" at the other team when they have you down, it's just stupid. The good news in both of these things is this, it can be fixed by coaching. The thing that's most troubling to me was your O couldn't score against their 2/3 D. You guys have huge question marks on the OL and seemed out of sync at the skill positions. - When any team from the SLC is playing an FBS school I set rivalries aside and support the Southland. I was hoping for more from Lamar. I think a loss to PVAM is a game changer for your season. Losing to ULL was expected, losing to PVAM isn't.

Good post. No trash talk and solid observations. I know you want SHSU to spank LU when they play and hopefully by then we will be way more competitive. You are breath of fresh air from the condensating attitude we normally get from your breathren.