2014 Football Schedule

coachacola

Gonna beat A&M, guy. They stink. Lose to SHSU and McNeese though, guy.

Speaking of A&M, our game is A&M's first home game. There will be a new look from previous seasons.

1. Kyle Field capacity should be 106,511 this season. According to the linked DFW article, that would put it #3 behind Michigan and Penn State. (Capacity will drop to a mere 102,500 in 2015.)

2. Also, the A&M / Lamar game will be the premier of the largest video board in collegiate football (47 feet tall by 163 feet wide).

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/texas-ams-kyle-field-will-be-home-of-largest-video-board-in-collegiate-sports.html/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of A&M, our game is A&M's first home game. There will be a new look from previous seasons.

1. Kyle Field capacity should be 106,511 this season. According to the linked DFW article, that would put it #3 behind Michigan and Penn State. (Capacity will drop to a mere 102,500 in 2015.)

2. Also, the A&M / Lamar game will be the premier of the largest video board in collegiate football (47 feet tall by 163 feet wide).

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/02/texas-ams-kyle-field-will-be-home-of-largest-video-board-in-collegiate-sports.html/

Last year Oklahoma State had to enlarge their stadium before playing us and now this year A&M has to do the same!! ;D ;D

Last year Oklahoma State had to enlarge their stadium before playing us and now this year A&M has to do the same!! ;D ;D

Had Baylor waited 1 year for a new stadium we could have made it 3 years running

Had Baylor waited 1 year for a new stadium we could have made it 3 years running

I like the way y'all think. :)

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk2

Here's what we kinda know so far:

8/30 vs GRAMBLING

9/6 @ Texas A&M

9/13 ??

9/20 MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (D2)

conference starts

9/27 SHSU

10/4 @ Abilene Christian

10/11 SELA

10/18 @ Nicholls

10/25 @ McNeese (??)

11/1 HBU

11/8 @ Central Arkansas

11/15 IWU

I personally think the 9/13 should be left open so they don't play 12 straight games. That being said I honestly feel like we could have a very good season...to me I think there are 6 VERY winnable games (Grambling, MS College, ACU, Nicholls, HBU, & UIW). Texas A&M is a loss unless some miracle happens. The other 4 will be tough games but I believe we have a shot at each one. SHSU and SELA have combined for the last 3 SLC titles and both come to Beaumont this season. Sam has a new coach and gone are Bell and Flanders...now is our best shot at them. SELA returns SLC MVP Bennett and I think will be very tough to beat but like all teams they are beatable. I honestly feel like this is the season we finally take down McNeese...been close in the past but I have a feeling we finally get that W in 2014. Central Arkansas is a mystery to me...they are very tough to beat in Conway but they too will be under a new coach this season. By the time we play them they should be settled in under their new regime but maybe we can return the favor of the heartbreak they delivered to us this past season

The season ticket renewal package is showing McNeese State on 11/22 so it looks like 10/25 will be an open date.

September 13 is still showing "?".

I updated the schedule with McNeese on 11/22. I guess they will have one more non-conference game if they go with 12 games.

• 3 weeks later...

Texas College filling the 9-13 spot...would have rather seen an open spot after traveling to Aggieland but I guess they wanted to make a couple hundred bucks off of a 1/3 packed stadium for a D-II school...for anyone who forgot Texas College is the school Lamar opened up the 2011 season against in a monsoon...and won 50-0

http://m.lamarcardinals.com/m/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/032514aab.html

Texas College is NAIA.

Another one of our non-conference home opponents, Mississippi College, is starting its first year of a three year transition from DIII back to DII and back to the Gulf South Conference. They were DII from 1972-1996 according to their website.

Seven home games is great. I just wish we could upgrade the non-conference schedule even if it resulted in less home games. After this year, we'll only be able to schedule 11 games until the 2019 season. With more conference games, the schedule will hopefully upgrade itself during the 11 game years.

I'm a bit disappointed in Texas College being on the schedule. I really don't mind one of these non-D1 blowout frenzies (every team does it at every level, why shouldn't we), but I hate having two of them (especially as TC is *so* small and so lousy that they really aren't capable of giving us even a real workout). I'd have really liked to have seen a road game against a non-Southland, good quality FCS team with a return home game next year. Of course, this is awfully late to fill a schedule hole, so it may be that we didn't have any good choices. Has this schedule vacancy been here a while, or did we only recently find out what the designated Southland schedule would be, leaving us little time to fill the extra week?

Texas College is NAIA.

You are correct...my mistake...I just went to look and see how they fared last season and I got a little more agitated that we scheduled them...they went 1-9 last season and lost to Oklahoma Panhandle St and Bacone by a combined score of 90-13 (41-0 & 49-13)...they averaged 16.7 ppg while they allowed 45 ppg...we beat those aforementioned schools by a combined 128-0 last season (75-0 & 53-0)...only thing positive about it is to get the back ups some game reps...starters may only play a few series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I would prefer another opponent to fill the slot, one good thing about Texas College for my wife and me is that they were the first opponent we saw after Lamar brought back football. :) We watched the game in the monsoon from the tropical storm remnants, but it was great for us. We had been long term season ticket holders before Lamar pulled the plug on the sport. I think we might have been the first two in the stadium that evening. If not the first two, we were really close.

(We missed out on the first season back because of health issues in the family.)

Is adding a 12th game against a NAIA team really necessary? They already had 6 home games, why add a 7th game that everyone knows will be a blowout and won't help the team prepare for the SLC. My guess is that it brings in a little extra money and helps Woodard get a winning record.

The schedule includes 10 D1 games. They should beat Grambling easily and lose to A&M. The big question is can they win at least 5 conference games to have a winning record against D1 opponents? The first half of the conference schedule looks the toughest, can they win at least 2 of those games? If they do they will need to win 3 of 4 against HBU, UCA, IUW and McNeese.

Overall, going 6-6 looks likely, and Woodard should get canned if they don't win at least 6 games with this schedule.

I'm with you there. I was actually thinking that if we went to a 12 game schedule, we would fill the slot with either another "money game" or an away game with another DI-FCS team to try to get a home-and-home.

Unless we add pure DIII teams to the list of possibilities in the future, McMurry is off the block now. They decided to discontinue the move to DII in January.

Really wish we could land a UH or Rice game (Mainly UH) Would boost recruiting in the Houston area, not expensive travel and a good prep for them. Get sopme of these recruits to know we have a football program and we will spend money. Speaking of which, please go check out Mary Hardin Baylor Football Stadium. Blows ours away and they r D3. We cont consider upgrading anything until we get at least 8-9 wins and compete. Fill the seats, get some wins and don't get humiliated by the Johnny-Less Aggies and we might be able to build that beautiful softball stadium I read about and upgradr Provost some more. Thoughts guys.?

Cplatt

Really wish we could land a UH or Rice game (Mainly UH) Would boost recruiting in the Houston area, not expensive travel and a good prep for them. Get sopme of these recruits to know we have a football program and we will spend money. Speaking of which, please go check out Mary Hardin Baylor Football Stadium. Blows ours away and they r D3. We cont consider upgrading anything until we get at least 8-9 wins and compete. Fill the seats, get some wins and don't get humiliated by the Johnny-Less Aggies and we might be able to build that beautiful softball stadium I read about and upgradr Provost some more. Thoughts guys.?

Cplatt

I'm not sure how a stadium that seats less than 8k blows ours away.

• 1 month later...

the home schedule is pretty s***ty

Looking at the rest of the conference, our home schedule is compararable except that we have more home games. We get last year's SLC champion and two FCS playoff teams at home.

The main thing I'm disappointed about is two sub D-I teams on the schedule, but one was a late add.