2016 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now our recruiting class is ranked #117 on 247sports.com. http://lamar.247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/Commits

We rank ahead of several FBS programs and No. 1 in FCS and the Southland. No doubt this will change. We have 23 recruits listed while many others below us have around 10 or less.

SFA is #127 (20 recruits) Sam Houston is #134 (8 recruits) and McNeese #135 (11 recruits)

Team rankings:http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

I've been saying for a while this class was shaping up to be very very good. For those not familiar with 247, they have 2 rankings. One is your typical # grade with a star ranking (grade 98+ = 5*, 97-90 = 4*, 89-80 =3*, 79-70 = 2*). They also have what is called a Composite which averages the ranking from 247, Rivals, Scout, & ESPN based off some formula they have.

They have a team ranking based off of both the 247 only score and their composite score. The 247 only score comes in at #118 in the country so it's not far off from the composite. Also if a player does not have a ranking, it doesn't count in the team rankings...only calculates players that have rankings...so even though we have more commits shown, the 13 unranked have no bearing on it.

This article states that 2 more offers went out to in Oklahoma today to teammates at West Moore HS in Oklahoma City.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5465575

Tre Towery a 6'2" 290 lbs DL

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3202508/tre-towery

Derek Loccident a 6'1" 190 lbs DB

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1922952/derek-loccident

Getting word Tre Towery has committed.

This is a crucial week for the 2016 class. Coaches will be out in full force this week locking down current commits and working on closing on a some uncommitted prospects. A couple of the uncommitted guys that the staff is still working on include 2* DB Micahh Smith from Marshall HS and 3* DE Ty Shelby from Friendswood HS. With the likelyhood that we will be switching to a 4-2-5 from a 3-4 it's imperative that we land some beef up front. The 2015 roster only listed 10 DL with NT Josh Frost being the lone senior we lost. However there were 7 JRs listed meaning we will lose a lot after this season. Manasseh Miles should be getting a medical RS after being lost for the season after the Baylor game. If that is the case, and we haven't had any attrition, we will only return 3 guys for 2017 (Miles, Marcus Abbott & Seth Adams) not counting what will be signed this class. Right now we have 3 guys committed with Crosley, Jeffery & Towery. Crosley (6'2" 250) and Jeffery (6'3" 235) both project to be DEs to me with Towery (6'3" 300lbs) being a DT. Would really like to add Shelby (6'5" 225) who could be a really good edge rusher.

Reading a little about the 4-2-5, it's designed to have a NT taking the Center and Guard, a DT and the other Guard, and the DEs taking the Tackles with one potentially demanding a double team if there is an in-line TE. Typically you'll have the DE both try to get up field after the passer. If it is a run play to the edge, their presence should string the play out side to side and let the LBs and DBs close before the runner can turn up field. If it is a run play between the tackles, you have should have 1 or both LBs unblocked if the NT and/or 1 DE (if there is an in-line TE) can demand a double team.

My first post to the forum and happy to be here. Since my son has been in the band the last four years, I've made just about every home game. It seems to my uneducated eye, that Woodard has gotten better players each year. Taller, heavier, faster, and more athletic then the year before. He is not only recruiting locally but the footprint is enlarging and the transfers are intriguing. I am optimistic that 2016 will not only be a good year record wise but a playoff bid as well. Almost as important, I think that the Cards are going to shove those McNeese cowbells so far up somewhere they are going to need a passport to get back. I'll see you at the game.

At this point I wouldn't be making a playoff prediction. Not to say it can't happen but there are too many things to be seen before that time.

Obviously we have to see what improvements the defense can make under a new DC and a presumed switch in schemes. Return a lot of guys who either started or log significant playing time but serious improvements need to be made.

QB play was inconsistent to say the least in 2015. If Earp can stay healthy or if someone else steps up and proves to be a reliable option it would go a long way to improving the offense and making Kade a little more dangerous. If we get consistent QB play I would expect Kade's numbers to take a hit since we could be passing a little more to set him up but his big play potential will be there.

We lost a ton at WR so there are a lot of unknowns there that will also affect the aforementioned QB play.

Also replacing both OTs that were part of a strong OL. Their replacement will have big shoes to fill as LT Elenz was 1st team All-SLC and RT Justin Brock was a 4 year starter.

I saw last night that Marshall DB Micahh Smith, who I mentioned yesterday as a remaining target, is taking an official visit to Arkansas this weekend. That doesn't mean he is officially off the board or that Arkansas has even offered him but they only have 1 DB committed right now and 1 ATH who could end up playing DB. Looking at their offer list there are only a couple guys who Arkansas appear to still in the hunt for.

I saw last night that Marshall DB Micahh Smith, who I mentioned yesterday as a remaining target, is taking an official visit to Arkansas this weekend. That doesn't mean he is officially off the board or that Arkansas has even offered him but they only have 1 DB committed right now and 1 ATH who could end up playing DB. Looking at their offer list there are only a couple guys who Arkansas appear to still in the hunt for.

Hopefully he will realize that a 2 star at Arkansas will spend a lot of time on the bench.

Rivals is reporting a new offer to Kilgore JC DE Demontrai Lewis. Originally out Lufkin HS, he was a high 2* guy on 247 Rivals that signed with Sam Houston...ended up at Kilgore Wher he racked up 99 tackles and 11 sacks in 2 seasons

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/617376/demantrai-lewis

Demontrai Lewis-Byrd has committed.

[tweet]692483309952200710[/tweet]

Looks like 247 is doing a little re-rating of players leading up to NSD. The Crosley brother were both given an 81 (3*) previously but have been dropped to 78 (David) and 77 (Daniel) making them now 2* guys. They were 2 of the 4 3* guys we had. Dropped us from 117 to 120 nationally. Still think they will be very good players for us. Guys the national recruiting guys realized an FCS school can't be hanging with the big boys...

Looks like 247 is doing a little re-rating of players leading up to NSD. The Crosley brother were both given an 81 (3*) previously but have been dropped to 78 (David) and 77 (Daniel) making them now 2* guys. They were 2 of the 4 3* guys we had. Dropped us from 117 to 120 nationally. Still think they will be very good players for us. Guys the national recruiting guys realized an FCS school can't be hanging with the big boys...

From reading other sports forums over the years that seems to happen a lot at when players commit to FCS schools.

From reading other sports forums over the years that seems to happen a lot at when players commit to FCS schools.

We offered Atascosita WR Coye Fairman way back in the spring of last year and he went as an unranked player forever. All of the sudden he commits to Memphis a week or so ago (hadn't even had an offer reported) and bam he gets a 3* 84 on 247. I can understand some logic behind it though. Most of these recruiting sites also have message board that you have to purchase a subscription to. Sometimes you have to sunshine pump your program is recruiting well to sell those subs...if readers see their team is getting out recruited by an FCS school, then people won't subscribe and then it hurts the pocket book.

Port Arthur News article about the current class. One thing of note is that TE commit Justin Carr from Nederland is reportedly going to sign with Tyler Junior College instead. I actually heard this was in the works earlier this morning but wanted to get the OK to post it.

http://m.panews.com/2016/01/28/murrell-column-take-note-lu-ranked-with-best-fcs-recruiting-class/

FCS schools Columbia and Coastal Carolina have jumped Lamar in the 247 rankings with some commitments this weekend. If we can land Ty Shelby we could jump back over them depending on what else they bring in.

Speaking of rankings I noticed that Shelby was re-ranked by 247 going from an 80 to and 85 (3* range between 89-80). Rivals has him at a mid 2* so his 247 composite is just north of an 81.

As it sits right now here are where the SLC teams stack up nationally

128 - Lamar

135 - SFA

137 - Sam Houston

140 - Central Arkansas

141 - Abilene Christian

142 - McNeese

148 - Southeastern Louisiana

155 - Northwestern St.

168 - Nicholls

197 - Incarnate Word

199 - Houston Baptist

Are these recruiting class rankings based on an overall number like the D-1 basketball is or are they handicapped somehow to give a more real picture. I know several years ago LU had a real high basketball recruiting class but it was because of the number of players they signed that year rather than the real quality of the recruits. For instance lets say Duke only signs two players but each player is ranked at 5 points toward the overall ranking score at 10 and LU signs 8 players that are only worth 2 points for a total overall ranking score of 16, does that mean LU had a better recruiting class? I don't think so.

Yes numbers matter in a sense...it's based off of only players who have been given a star ranking from one of the 4 major recruiting sites. For instance right now we have 24 commits listed, however 12 of them have not been given a star ranking from any service. So our ranking is only based off of the 12 that do. SFA has 19 commits listed right now but only 8 have revieved a star rating. So their ranking is only calculated off of those 8 players. Then Sam Houston is right behind SFA with only 10 listed commits but 7 of them have star rankings.

I have been working with Brian Perroni of 247 for the last several months to have these profiles updated so we could have a better judge on where we will actually stand come signing day. A lot of times FCS schools don't have all their recruits listed or sometimes even have their star rankings from other sites shown. He's been very helpful with it and even created pages for the commits we have that didn't have pages before. Hopefully when the dust clears after NSD I can have all the names from the other SLC schools to him to get a more accurate picture of what the conference as a whole looks like.

Edited by KABrother88

Thanks for the information. While the individual player rankings don't always tell how the player will do when they get to college and depth is probably more important in football than basketball I like to compare apples and apples. It would appear if SFA had twelve ranked players (of the same caliber as the average of the 8 recruits they have) they might have a stronger class than Lamar does. Am I reading this correctly?

Thanks for the information. While the individual player rankings don't always tell how the player will do when they get to college and depth is probably more important in football than basketball I like to compare apples and apples. It would appear if SFA had twelve ranked players (of the same caliber as the average of the 8 recruits they have) they might have a stronger class than Lamar does. Am I reading this correctly?

If you're asking if SFA would be ahead of due to having a higher percentage of commits with rankings then no. Players without ranking aren't even figured into the calculation. Its kind of a complex formula they use and being that they take in other site's ratings it makes it even more confusing. For example, a 2* on Rivals is either a 5.2, 5.3, or 5.4...247 converts those to 76.66 (5.2), 78.88 (5.3) and 81.11 (5.4). the 81.11 is a 3* in their composite even though the ranking is just a 2* on Rivals. I could go on and on about this stuff but I'm sure I would just cause more confusion than clarity lol.