** LU at SLU Game Thread **

coachacola

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that the Southland Conference , today reversed the targeting call. WOW, really. Now wonder what that means ?

Well if targeting occurs during the first half, it results in an ejection for the remainder of the game and the player is eligible to play at the start of the next game. If it occurs in the 2nd half, the player is ejected for the remainder of that game as well as the 1st half of the next game. Since Ellis' "foul" occurred at the end of the first half he would be eligible for the next game in full anyways. So basically, they reversed a call that doesn't mean diddly anymore except it unnecessarily took a top defender out for the 2nd half in a big game...

A big question I have was on the Carroll fumble recovery when he gave the ball to Moss who then advanced it 30 yards. I was listening to that portion on the radio and Harold Mann said that Carroll was down as soon as they showed the replay. When the call was reviewed it stood. Then they reviewed it again and overturned it and loved it back to midfield. I was under the impression that once a call was reviewed it couldn't be reviewed again...guess I was wrong (first time for everything right?!). But seriously...for those watching, did the booth review it, then SELA challenge again? How did that happen? Was Woodard beyond irate on the sideline? We ended up punting on that drive where if we even had to settle for a FG, that could have had a big impact on the outcome of the game. Edited by KABrother88

On TV Lamar player was clearly down on ground. When they reviewed it the 1st time, they put ball 30 yards up field. SLU fans started booing, SLU coaches were complaining. Ref almost instantly called to booth as fans started booing. I didn't see if Coach Woodard was upset or not after 2nd review. ripe is , why wasn't the hit on Kade not called targeting ?

ripe is , why wasn't the hit on Kade not called targeting ?

Because even to the naked eye in real time, it wasn't remotely close to targeting, much less when you watch the replay. He led with his shoulder and made contact below the shoulder pads. It was definitely a violent hit but correctly did not draw a flag. I don't think your guy should have been flagged either, but the refs are so trigger happy now. IMO, the targeting rule has done more harm than good and does nothing to protect players. It's basically to protect the NCAA against potential lawsuits.

Because even to the naked eye in real time, it wasn't remotely close to targeting, much less when you watch the replay. He led with his shoulder and made contact below the shoulder pads. It was definitely a violent hit but correctly did not draw a flag. I don't think your guy should have been flagged either, but the refs are so trigger happy now. IMO, the targeting rule has done more harm than good and does nothing to protect players. It's basically to protect the NCAA against potential lawsuits.

Sorry. I just watched that play. The rb was spinning out of a tackle and in the air when your db hit him right in the head. It was obviously targeting. In addition even the conference officials overturned the targeting call on seth ellis #15. Which caused us to play a half without our starting corner. It sure looks like some home cooking. But im really not complaining. We had our chances and we let it slip. I have much respect for you, your team, etc. No hard feelings but the refs altered the game drastically.... Even the conference officials agree

The targeting rule is meant to protect "defenseless" players (i.e. WR in the air attempting to make a catch or a QB who has just released a pass). A ball carrier in the open field isn't classified as a "defenseless" player. While Kade was in a vulnerable position from the way he had just shed the other defender, he was not protected by this rule. Had they called it I would have taken it all day...but in my opinion, a no call was the right call in this instance.

Sorry. I just watched that play. The rb was spinning out of a tackle and in the air when your db hit him right in the head. It was obviously targeting. In addition even the conference officials overturned the targeting call on seth ellis #15. Which caused us to play a half without our starting corner. It sure looks like some home cooking. But im really not complaining. We had our chances and we let it slip. I have much respect for you, your team, etc. No hard feelings but the refs altered the game drastically.... Even the conference officials agree

I've watched the replay a bunch. He led with the right shoulder pad into Harrington's chest. Any helmet to helmet contact was incidental to the initial contact which was below the shoulders, and on the side and not with the crown. I don't blame you for wanting a flag but none was thrown, nor should it have been. I agree that Ellis should not have been ejected. The targeting rule means well in theory but has way too much impact on the game and I'm not convinced it has had any positive impact on injuries. Obvious malicious targeting is a different issue and should always warrant an ejection and/or suspension. What happened last night was good,clean, physical football.

As for "home cooking," if you poll our fans, they would tell you the exact opposite was true. We all tend to view officiating through our own lens. Like a lot of games, there were good and bad calls both ways.

Edited by royallion05

The targeting rule is meant to protect "defenseless" players (i.e. WR in the air attempting to make a catch or a QB who has just released a pass). A ball carrier in the open field isn't classified as a "defenseless" player. While Kade was in a vulnerable position from the way he had just shed the other defender, he was not protected by this rule. Had they called it I would have taken it all day...but in my opinion, a no call was the right call in this instance.

I thought that it did not matter what position you played but that you were in a 'defenseless' position?? And that the defender took advantage and went for the head? Maybe im wrong but that is what i understood.

I thought that it did not matter what position you played but that you were in a 'defenseless' position?? And that the defender took advantage and went for the head? Maybe im wrong but that is what i understood.

Here's a link to the targeting rule and what constitutes a defenseless player. Regardless, in this instance, contact was initiated with the shoulder pad, below the runner's shoulders, and the head was not lowered, nor did he lead with the crown (crown is the top of the helmet, not forehead). Incidental helmet contact is allowed due to changing positions of players.

http://www.afca.com/article/article.php?id=2342

I've watched the replay a bunch. He led with the right shoulder pad into Harrington's chest. Any helmet to helmet contact was incidental to the initial contact which was below the shoulders, and on the side and not with the crown. I don't blame you for wanting a flag but none was thrown, nor should it have been. I agree that Ellis should not have been ejected. The targeting rule means well in theory but has way too much impact on the game and I'm not convinced it has had any positive impact on injuries. Obvious malicious targeting is a different issue and should always warrant an ejection and/or suspension. What happened last night was good,clean, physical football.

Proud of my Son!! Great KO Return TD

Glad he stayed home. Looks like he's a heck of a player. We needed someone with his kind of speed!! Definitely a great weapon on those kickoff returns. I swear it looks like he is going to break one off on every return!

As much as we don't like it, my take is we got barely beat by the better team at their place. There is no shame and should be no panic at this point. When we started the program back, I was looking forward to the season that we would be competitive in our conference, and we are definately there. Our goal is to improve every season and this is done by getting better at all facets of the program especially recruiting. Not that long ago Sam was struggling in their program and SELa was not really doing much either. If we can continue to play good football this year and weave our way from the injury bug, we could still be a playoff team. One thing is for sure, I don't think we will be picked 8th in conference by the coaches next year, but all bets are off on the SID's, I have no respect for that bunch figuring out anything.

I hear what you are saying and maybe I'm in denial but I am by no means convinced that se la was the better team. Their secondary played better than ours. We had too many dropped passes, too many missed tackles and some busted coverages. I think these are all things that can be fixed. Granted, maybe that makes them the better team, idk. But I certainly don't think they have any more talent than we have.

Hey fans, it really was a great game last night and the BigRedNation should be proud of your team this year. As a Lions fan though I left the stadium shaking my head how we didn't win by 27. We didn't and a good bit of it was due to a very good defensive Lamar line, but if Bossier doesn't suffer severe brain farts this game turns out far worse. Good Luck the rest of the season, and I look forward to another great trip to Beaumont next year.

Funny, I was shaking my head wondering how we let yall score as many as we did and wondering how in the world we didn't score more. Eagle mentioned "gap integrity" earlier and that hits the nail on the head with several of talks big plays. I think our d line is very good but there were too many times they didn't stick to their responsibility, in particular some of the times your qb kept the ball on the read option.

Spoke at length to one of the Coaches, we All know what was at Stake & what could have been. Two things can happen, build on the adversity & propel yourself to the next level, or dwell on what if's & go into a tailspin. We will see if this Team has what it takes to be Champions. I feel they let one slip away on the road, this Team has the makeup to do Great things beyond Conference. Cardinals should be fine, would like to see some other guys step up to make this ride a little smoother, but Big Red will be a Force. To my Son #20 Mr Randle Jr, finally everyone can see what we have known for years. Keep God First Always.

#SpeedKills

Well said. Your son obviously is blessed with great talent. If he translates that into great coverage ability, yikes. I don't know if he's got good hands or not, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing him split out on offense too, I bet he could stretch the field for us!! I'm impressed with several of the freshmen so the future looks bright for LU!! I know one thing, I love watching our kick off returns now!!

Re:targeting. I think they were both legit hits....it's football, not soccer

regarding defense: we gave up a season high in passing yards to a running team. Florida Tech, a D2 team in their 3rd year of football, held em to 68 yards passing, 167 yards rushing. 1 for 16 on third down conversions. Sela won that game due to 3 defensive TD. Hell, SELA punted 10 times that game! They punted 1 time against us. Surely we watched that game film?

Spoke at length to one of the Coaches, we All know what was at Stake & what could have been. Two things can happen, build on the adversity & propel yourself to the next level, or dwell on what if's & go into a tailspin. We will see if this Team has what it takes to be Champions. I feel they let one slip away on the road, this Team has the makeup to do Great things beyond Conference. Cardinals should be fine, would like to see some other guys step up to make this ride a little smoother, but Big Red will be a Force. To my Son #20 Mr Randle Jr, finally everyone can see what we have known for years. Keep God First Always.

#SpeedKills

We need to get your son into the game plan and get him the ball to open up our offense. He's fun to watch and definately a threat everytime he touches the ball! Time to move on to the next game...this young team is only going to get better!!!

From the day Rodney committed to Lamar I was on here saying that I hoped they could get him in on offense because he can be electric with the ball. Living in Nederland I've watched him play a few times when he was with Ozen and he would burn some pretty good defenses Big Ned had. Guys with 4.3 speed don't grow on trees and it's even more rare at the FCS level. It's been fun to watch him through 4 games and see how much he's progressed and doing it so quickly. He's still a freshman and he's going to make mistakes...no way around that...he just has to learn from them and make himself better because of it. I can tell you that motivation and confidence are not lacking in him game.

regarding defense: we gave up a season high in passing yards to a running team. Florida Tech, a D2 team in their 3rd year of football, held em to 68 yards passing, 167 yards rushing. 1 for 16 on third down conversions. Sela won that game due to 3 defensive TD. Hell, SELA punted 10 times that game! They punted 1 time against us. Surely we watched that game film?

Sela's starting qb did not play in those games. I think he got hurt in the first game of the year. He sure played in our game. He made some big time third down throws. That guy is very good. SELA is good. Great game. Lotta fun to watch

Sela's starting qb did not play in those games. I think he got hurt in the first game of the year. He sure played in our game. He made some big time third down throws. That guy is very good. SELA is good. Great game. Lotta fun to watch

We had 12 players out for Florida Tech and Ohio. Got some of them back for Lamar but a couple are out for the year and still waiting on a couple of others to get back. Plus we lost two of our best defensive players in the first half vs Lamar. We're extremely banged up right now.

Rodney really works hard, he told the Coaches that Lamar was the only School that didn't lie to about offering him. He also said he would help put Lamar on the Map. He is very Grateful Lamar chose him, our entire Family is Thankful & Blessed beyond measure. Thanks to All for the support.

Yeah. Our starting QB was knocked out after the first possession, and the Lamar game was his first game back. SLU is a read option team and the QB is integral to making the calls and right decisions at the Los. When we played FIT, our QB had limited reps of preparation and did not play the RO at Utah or high school.

Rodney really works hard, he told the Coaches that Lamar was the only School that didn't lie to about offering him. He also said he would help put Lamar on the Map. He is very Grateful Lamar chose him, our entire Family is Thankful & Blessed beyond measure. Thanks to All for the support.

He is an exciting player. I'm glad that he and his team mates chose Lamar. I'm looking forward to watching the team at home this Saturday. It seems it has been forever since the season opener at home.