** ACU at LU Game Thread **

coachacola

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Lamar, big home game. Big crowd exciting fans. Big WIN, to boost the team for the race to conference champions. I think Lamar talent is the best in Southland. Spread the ball AROUND, utilize more players on offense, we need 40+ points to win games, from here on out. Secondary work on better pass coverage & tackling. Lamar has good talent players to win it all now 2015. Think big we can do it. Win conference, we don't have to worry about making the playoffs its automatic. We can do it..

I absolutely agree, we need a lot of work on pass defense. We were pretty bad last week. All in all I still believe Lamar is a heavy player in conference and I also agree if we win the SLC we won't have to worry. Personally, I like Caleb Earp and I hope he gets to play this week. I like Earp's work against Baylor and SAM and I really think he separated himself from Minden who looked really rusty against SELA. Go Cards.

[tweet]651857646656561152[/tweet]

Interesting, Brandon Langley will play as a DB, which is what he was playing at Georgia before transferring here. After watching the receivers get wide open in the SLU game maybe he can get playing time and make an impact on defense.

I absolutely agree, we need a lot of work on pass defense. We were pretty bad last week. All in all I still believe Lamar is a heavy player in conference and I also agree if we win the SLC we won't have to worry. Personally, I like Caleb Earp and I hope he gets to play this week. I like Earp's work against Baylor and SAM and I really think he separated himself from Minden who looked really rusty against SELA. Go Cards.

Personally, i like Minden. Way more accurate passer. Keep in mind, he hadn't practiced since the Baylor game cuz his hand. Earp is barely above 50%, lucky he didn't have at least 3 pics vs SELA. KNOCK ON Minden (per my brother) is arm strength..hell, we don't throw it long anyway..maybe once a game?

anywho, 50% aint gonna cut it

as for Langley?...stick him back at CB, secondary could use the help. Hopefully it's not another case like Kevin Johnson

Some other wide rec need to get open...why does Begelton get so many passes? Hell, he's open every damn play! So is the TE, but I'm not sure he can catch.

Before the season started I was hoping Wheeler and/or Langley would replace Mark Roberts, but with Harrington and Begelton playing so well, their absence hasn't hurt too much. Both Nelson and Handy haven't been much of a factor yet either.

Looking at the national FCS stats, the OL is doing a great job at protecting the QB. With three new starters that's been a pleasant surprise.

It's probably too early to talk about it but I would think Rodney Randle is making a strong case to be the SLC freshman of the year. Let's hope he keeps doing what he's been doing.

It's Carson Earp not Caleb, but I'm with you. I think he's the better of the two. He came into the season as the "running" qb but from what I've seen he's plenty accurate and has much better arm strength. If you go back and look at the SE La game there were 4 dropped passes. And on the interception he was getting hit. I do wonder why we rarely call typical drop back passes, almost everything is a quick wide receiver screen or a sprint rollout. Now, I will say, for some reason teams seem to have a very difficult time covering that sprint rollout we run, I have no idea why but if you watch that play it seems like Begleton is open every time as well as the tight end running shallow out in the flat. To me, if you cut the field in half by rolling out it should make it much easier to defend. Also, id like to see us call at least 2 or 3 screens to kade a game. And I really like our chances if we can get him or Harris matched up against a linebacker in the passing game. Anyway, can't wait for the game and I sure hope the defense plays better!! Go cards!!!

Before the season started I was hoping Wheeler and/or Langley would replace Mark Roberts, but with Harrington and Begelton playing so well, their absence hasn't hurt too much. Both Nelson and Handy haven't been much of a factor yet either.

Looking at the national FCS stats, the OL is doing a great job at protecting the QB. With three new starters that's been a pleasant surprise.

It's probably too early to talk about it but I would think Rodney Randle is making a strong case to be the SLC freshman of the year. Let's hope he keeps doing what he's been doing.

We run wr screens or sprint rollout a on damn near every pass play. So, I wouldn't put much stock into any stats. But,it seems to me our oline is Much better...so why not let the qb drop back and throw? I wonder if it's more to do with our qb's than it is to do with our o-line

I too am an Earp fan but I also think Minden is the better drop prototypical back passer. To me, Earp has enough in the passing game to still be effective but his value is in his legs. What I've seen from this offense so far this year is a lot different the the Keuck offenses the last few years. Very few deep shots, more roll out passes, and more running. I believe that the threat of Earp keeping the ball has to keep the defense honest because if not he'll bust one for 25+...with Minden I believe defenses can sell out on Kade and still get Minden for a 4-5 yard gain.

Either way the coaching staff has another difficult decision to make and I assume Minden has been getting 1st team reps while Earp is resting his shoulder...and he needs as many as possibly right now...after watching the Coach Woodard Show on KFDM it sounded like Carson would be out there if healthy though.

Two key areas to look for in Saturday's contest will be ACU's ability to throw the football against the Cardinals ability to run. The Wildcats enter the week ranked third in the league averaging better than 220 passing yards per game, while LU is eighth in the Southland in pass defense (262.3). The Cardinals enter the game with one of that nation's top running backs in Harrington. The Kingwood, Texas native is averaging better than 120 rushing yards per game, which leads the league and ranks among the nation's top 10, while the Wildcats have struggled at times to stop the run (9th in SLC/251 ypg).

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2015/10/8/FB_1008152711.aspx

Not sure those stats are any indicator of either team. I think it depends more on what type of team you have played. If you are behind in games you will have a tendancy to throw more versus if you are ahead you try to control the tempo by running the ball. Also the other team will dictate what you do, if you have a fairly balanced offense, most coaches will take what the defense gives them. I think ACU, like Lamar, is good enough to run a balanced attack.

[tweet]652533591415484416[/tweet]

Wonder if Coach Woodard kept a straight face when he said he fears ACU's passing attack more than Baylor's? :)

Give him enough time and its true that Parker McKenzie is a good QB and we have a couple of good receivers. SLC good. Not Baylor good.

The keys to the game are obvious enough: Lamar needs to pressure ACU's QB. ACU needs to slow down (no one is gonna stop him) Kade Harrington.

ACU has a very young offensive line due to a couple of key injuries and has not done a good job of protecting McKenzie. Our front 7 has had a terrible time stopping the run against average running backs. i'd like to think we have worked out our problems on D this week, but realistically y'all are more likely to pressure our QB than we are likely to slow down your rb.

Looking forward to the game.

#coachspeak lol

I am expecting to see a lot of Kade today...both of our QBs are a little banged up and with ACU having had struggled to stop the run I think Coach Langston will look to exploit that. I think we'll se a little more Carl Harris too to spell Kade. Keegan Mitchell is still listed as #2 on the depth chart but hasn't played the last 2 games...I believed he's been a little nicked up but Harris has shown good explosion in his limited touches this year.

Hopefully our front 7 can create some pressure and it would be nice to see the DL create enough pressure to not have to blitz a lot to get to the QB...we're probably going to need the LBs in coverage today. We've been able to get a lot of penetration up front this season but most of that has been against the run and not a lot vs the pass...of course the last 2 games we've played we had to play the run first because if we got too far up field the QBs would take off.

I'm really disappointed because I just found out I can't make the game tonight. I was really looking forward to seeing this game. I saw where Earp is a game time decision and I hadn't heard about Minden being banged up, that sucks. Harrington will have to carry the load. Go Cards, sorry I can't be there.