FCS Football Playoffs

geezer

I probably need to study the brackets further, but this is the 2nd year in a row that the SLC regular season champion plays another SLC team in the early rounds of the playoff. If I remember correctly last year UCA and Sam Houston were both at large teams and played each other in the first round. They were also in the same bracket as SELA. This year McNeese got the first round by, but their first game will be next Saturday against Sam Houston who won their opening game Saturday.

I kind of like that format, and wish the NCAA would use it for March Madness. It is kind of ridiculous that the ACC will get 8-9 BB teams and still have a conference tourney that really means nothing except for TV money. If I was running that show, I would use the conference tournaments as the early rounds of the NCAA and reduce the time players are not attending class. But stupid me was thinking the NCAA is thinking of the athletes in their decisions and not about making a billion dollars.

Jim Brown is right, it is the closest thing we have to slave labor in this country and the media doesn't get it either. Locally, Mike Friedman asked Kade Harrington if he is going to take his offensive lineman out to dinner if he wins the FCS POY. Kade said he had no plans to do it, probably because he can't afford to feed those 6-8 guys (his only legal source for money to do that is probably Mom & Dad). I know I couldn't when I was an athlete in college. Friedman acted surprised by Kade's answer.

I kind of like that format, and wish the NCAA would use it for March Madness. It is kind of ridiculous that the ACC will get 8-9 BB teams and still have a conference tourney that really means nothing except for TV money. If I was running that show, I would use the conference tournaments as the early rounds of the NCAA and reduce the time players are not attending class. But stupid me was thinking the NCAA is thinking of the athletes in their decisions and not about making a billion dollars.

Jim Brown is right, it is the closest thing we have to slave labor in this country and the media doesn't get it either. Locally, Mike Friedman asked Kade Harrington if he is going to take his offensive lineman out to dinner if he wins the FCS POY. Kade said he had no plans to do it, probably because he can't afford to feed those 6-8 guys (his only legal source for money to do that is probably Mom & Dad). I know I couldn't when I was an athlete in college. Friedman acted surprised by Kade's answer.

poor athletes...only getting an opportunity for a college degree. Nobody forcing them to attend college and play sports. Cry me a river.

It's not all roses for athletes compared to all other scholarship recipients.They can't change majors like other students as they often lose their eligibility due to 20% progress rules.Thus they stay stuck in those really useful general studies degrees.They also are lots of restrictions on types of jobs and when athletes can work those comparable wage jobs which other scholarship recipients are not bound by an NCAA like organization.If you want to transfer to another institution there are no rules limiting non athlete students.Not all professors are helpful and some are very punitive for numerous classes missed.Those trips on a bus to Central Arkansas are no bed of roses.If you think 20 hour per week limits are always followed everywhere and for weight and film study think again.The education is very valuable and the athletic experience memorable but unless you have been an athlete or had a kid who was one recently your perspective may off a bit .Does this make sense? As far as the FCS scheduling my contacts tell me in more and more NCAA events proximity and travel cost is more of a factor in brackets from football playoffs to WNIT pre season games.

It's not all roses for athletes compared to all other scholarship recipients.They can't change majors like other students as they often lose their eligibility due to 20% progress rules.Thus they stay stuck in those really useful general studies degrees.They also are lots of restrictions on types of jobs and when athletes can work those comparable wage jobs which other scholarship recipients are not bound by an NCAA like organization.If you want to transfer to another institution there are no rules limiting non athlete students.Not all professors are helpful and some are very punitive for numerous classes missed.Those trips on a bus to Central Arkansas are no bed of roses.If you think 20 hour per week limits are always followed everywhere and for weight and film study think again.The education is very valuable and the athletic experience memorable but unless you have been an athlete or had a kid who was one recently your perspective may off a bit .Does this make sense? As far as the FCS scheduling my contacts tell me in more and more NCAA events proximity and travel cost is more of a factor in brackets from football playoffs to WNIT pre season games.

Unless you have paid for a kid to go to college, your perspective may be off. Just saying.

anywho..back to the playoffs...I think it's set to get the MVFC to the finals. As for the Southland, sam ain't got the defense to do much, McNeese has no offense...hopefully, they beat sam:flush:

poor athletes...only getting an opportunity for a college degree. Nobody forcing them to attend college and play sports. Cry me a river.

And don't forget free room and board and preferential treatment when it comes to admissions! "Oh you can run a 4.4? Well, then you meet our admissions requirements!"

Unless you have paid for a kid to go to college, your perspective may be off. Just saying.

anywho..back to the playoffs...I think it's set to get the MVFC to the finals. As for the Southland, sam ain't got the defense to do much, McNeese has no offense...hopefully, they beat sam:flush:

Or maybe even paying/going to have to pay for 4 kids to attend? I'd love for my kids to be "slave labor"!!!!

I worked all the way through college including mowing yards and throwing rice sacks at the port. I did put multiple kids through college who also worked part time in the mall.Understand some scholarships are partial ,they all aren't full admission,books,food,and board.Academically my kids had to meet the same SAT and GPA standards as every other student.If you understand that many sports use partial scholarships but the athletes are still bound by NCAA rules that others like band scholarship recipients are not bound by.So for a quarter scholarship or a bit more or less,for 20 plus hours a week like full scholarship recipients,should you be able to change your major and not often lose your eligibility because of a rule meant to bolster graduation rates and better PR for the NCAA?Thankfully excellent online courses at Lamar help athletes with some scheduling issues unique to athletes.I have also tutored using some of these classes and I highly recommend them for students with scheduling challenges.Is the experience valuable? Yes.Do university staff typically care for student athletes greatly?Yes.Is it simply a free ride ? NO!

Regarding attendance at the Cowboy vs Bearkats game,I predict the attendance will be stellar compared to most of the other games.We need to show other leagues again why we deserve three seeds before they get five!Southland Strong !!!!!!!!!! I predict over 15,000 at the game so what is your guess ?

Well I see where the attendance at the McNeese game was about 13,500 and Sam only brought about 400 fans and a small band.In regard to an earlier post about an athletes benefits,and there are many,I also want to give the example of a former teammate of my son who wrecked his knee blocking.After multiple surgeries left him with a bone on bone knee his career and even most recreational sports activities were over.To the credit of the school they honored his scholarship until he graduated.He will not be doing a lot of activities with his son he had envisioned due to the knee unless he opts for a total knee in his 20's.SO it's not so simple to criticize is it!!!!!!!! Furthermore do you really think that attitude towards student athletes having it cushy helps us recruit??????

Well I see where the attendance at the McNeese game was about 13,500 and Sam only brought about 400 fans and a small band.In regard to an earlier post about an athletes benefits,and there are many,I also want to give the example of a former teammate of my son who wrecked his knee blocking.After multiple surgeries left him with a bone on bone knee his career and even most recreational sports activities were over.To the credit of the school they honored his scholarship until he graduated.He will not be doing a lot of activities with his son he had envisioned due to the knee unless he opts for a total knee in his 20's.SO it's not so simple to criticize is it!!!!!!!! Furthermore do you really think that attitude towards student athletes having it cushy helps us recruit??????

I doubt that my opinion on athlete-students is much of a deterrent...or that I want Ray and Chucky gone. About 10 people read this board, and about a third of those a sam houston trollers.

Edited by puddin tane

• 2 weeks later...
North Dakota State made it to the championship game for the fifth year in a row, including the head coach leaving between year three and four. They promoted an assistant to replace the head coach and don't appear to have missed a beat. Sam plays Jacksonville State at 3:00 PM on ESPNU today for the other spot in the championship. I think injuries and not having a winning tradition were part of Lamar's mid season problems, but if Sam makes it to the finals, won't it be nice to be the winner of one of their losses for the year.

• 3 weeks later...