** UNO vs LU Game Thread **

coachacola

Winners in seven of their last eight games, the Lamar University men's basketball team will look for a season-best fifth-straight win Monday when New Orleans comes to town. The Cardinals (9-4/1-0 Southland) got league play out to a strong start Saturday with a 79-67 decision in Thibodaux, La. It marked the second consecutive season that LU has started SLC play with a victory.

Monday's game – which is the second game of a men's and women's doubleheader – has the Cardinals squaring off against a New Orleans team which is 4-7 on the season. Monday will serve as the Southland opener for the Privateers, who have split their last four decisions and are coming off a blowout win over Blue Mountain College.

The Red and White bring the Southland's strongest offense into the game averaging nearly 80 points per game (79.7 ppg), but are coming off a conference opener that saw the defense take center stage. LU held Nicholls to just five field goals in the opening 20 minutes Saturday. In addition to the minimal production from the Colonels, LU also forced Nicholls into 14 turnovers, outrebounded Nicholls by 12, recorded eight steals and blocked four shots.

http://www.lamarcardinals.com/news/2016/1/3/MBB_0103162343.aspx

Lamar looses by 4. Very sloppy performance by Lamar. Poor defense led to too many early fouls. UNO outscored Lamar by eight from the free throw line. Lamar missed three 3 point attempts in a row with the game tied and under a minute left. Disappointing!

!8 turnovers and 28 for the game was a key to the loss.A great effort in the last ten minutes to overcome a double digit deficit.The future is bright when you consider we played down the stretch with three freshman,a sophomore and a senior against a more veteran UNO team.The effort to get the ball for three straight shots on our end was impressive.A tough out of bounds sideline call with 1.5 seconds left denied us a final desperation shot.It could have just as easily been a foul call putting us and the game on the line.Sears made some highlight plays that were worth the price of admission.

I watched the game on ESPN3 and liked the quality of the broadcast. As far as the game goes, it was another case of LU struggling against a half-decent team (LU's non-conference schedule was by far the worst in the SLC as far as SOS is concerned). Chatman and the other young inside players need more time to develop. Who else thinks Nick Garth will average 20+ points a game by the time he's a senior?

I really like price but I think his line up shuffles are hurting consistency. Also when New Orleans went on a couple of their runs a time out would have helped. Garth is gonna be a beast over the next few years. I also hope our front court guys start going up hard with the basketball instead of thinking they are gonna draw a foul. They lose the ball because they go up soft with the ball rather than going up with authority.

What must LU do to improve? In general play defense without committing fouls, especially those playing the 4 and 5 position. Take care of the ball one third of the turnovers are from the three players playing point guard the most often. Booze and Jones are 2nd year D-1 players and IMO there are no excuses for the number of turnovers they have committed and the turnovers don't include the drives to the basket where they throw up an out of control shot hoping to draw a foul. Price needs to decide on a rotation through the game and use it to get any kind of consistency. If starting and playing time is tied to perceived practice hustle then that needs to change. After fourteen games Price should be able to know who is performing in game situations. Maybe there are some differences do to match ups, but based on his stats Sears should be getting much more playing time in my opinion. He is second on the team in rebounding despite playing a third less minutes than and also second in points per minute played. I'm not saying Price shouldn't expect him to hustle in practice, but I don't see how you can not play him more than he has been. Edited by geezer

Geezer I agree wth you. Sears should be on the floor more often. It seems like booze is on the bench in the dog house most of the time. The kid shot lights out at Fresno then he didn't seem to play as much. This same thing happened last year. The dude shot the lights out early then fell off. Garth is going to be a beast and needs to be on the floor to learn. Chatman will also grow when he plays aggressive and not looking for a foul he is a tough ball player. Next year we will be set. Adding weisbrod and Atwood.... Just hope the ever revolving starting line up slows stops soon.