2017 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

I know you love the passing game and I enjoy it too, but there are times that a two or three yard run against a run defense is critical to winning a game and since Harrington's injury Lamar hasn't shown anybody with the ability to make that play. In fact even Harrington got stuffed several times. Lamar needs some size and depth to withstand the injury bug.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of the assistant coaches are automatically gone with Woodard's release and any idea of how many of these early signed and potential recruits are lost?

From what I've seen, each member of the current staff will be given the opportunity to interview with the new coach. It will be at his discretion who is retained and who is let go. None of these players are actually signed...only committed. They are free to change their commitment at any moment for any reason. They will not sign until Feb. 1st unless they graduate early and enroll in Jan. Only one of the 4 that are set to do that is LB Tyris Williams. Of the others, QB Jack Dallas is committed to play baseball at Lamar. I believe the fact that Lamar was giving him the opportunity to play both is a major factor. Lucky Daniels was a HS teammate of QB Case Robinson so that could be enough to keep him with Lamar. Elvin Martinez is the question to me. I think he has a really good relationship with Coach Morgan so if he was not retained then I could see him potentially exploring other options.

One thing to also remember that when new coaches come in, majority of the time they re-evaluate all open offers. If a player doesn't fit what they want to do, then sometime they pull the offer, even from committed players. However, at times you will see the new coach honor all offers to committed players and just re-evaluate the uncommitted offered players.

Losing recruits is always a down side of a coaching change, but picking up transfer could be a plus. I believe we should expect to see a digression in the performance of the team next year.. Usually takes 2 seasons for a new staff to begin showing progress on the field, unless the hire is within, which I do not anticipate.

• 3 weeks later...
If anyone is interested, QB commit Jack Dallas will play today at noon for the his 2nd straight State Championship. Game can be viewed on DirectTV channel 676, Spectrum (Time Warner) channel 318, or streamed on the FoxSports Go App. The Mustangs haven't been truely tested all season as they have only given up 63 points in 15 games with 8 shutouts. 4 points have come from safeties so only 59 points on the defense. Most of their games have been so lopsided that Dallas hasn't finished the game as they have called the dogs off. Their closest game was a 24 point victory over Kennedale who made a deep run in a higher classification. Average score so far this year has been about 52-4...

If anyone is interested, QB commit Jack Dallas will play today at noon for the his 2nd straight State Championship. Game can be viewed on DirectTV channel 676, Spectrum (Time Warner) channel 318, or streamed on the FoxSports Go App. The Mustangs haven't been truely tested all season as they have only given up 63 points in 15 games with 8 shutouts. 4 points have come from safeties so only 59 points on the defense. Most of their games have been so lopsided that Dallas hasn't finished the game as they have called the dogs off. Their closest game was a 24 point victory over Kennedale who made a deep run in a higher classification. Average score so far this year has been about 52-4...

West Orange-Stark wins 24-6. Dallas didn't have a great game but did enough to take home offensive MVP for the 2nd straight year.

• 2 weeks later...
Potential name to watch as far as an FBS transfer is Texas A&M WR Frank Iheanacho. Big 6'6" WR who was a 4-Star WR out of Houston Westside but was very raw as he had only played football for a couple of seasons. Never developed liked they had hoped in College Station and had been passed on the depth chart. He was a RS-So this season so I would expect him to go to the FCS level to get 2 years of eligibility vs staying at FBS and only having 1 due to having to sit out the next season. We will see if anything comes of this but it would need to happen quick if he intends on being a part of Spring practices. The fact that Schultz worked at A&M as an analyst this past season may give us a leg up if he pursues him.

Does it concern any of you that Schultz has been employed for nearly two weeks and has yet to hire one coach?

Do people want to work for this guy? I don't want to write him off too early, but the stuff that comes out of his mouth is appalling. "I have yet to reach all of the football players yet." I appreciate the transparency, but that is something YOU DO NOT admit. It makes you appear like you don't have a handle on what's happening and from the lack of hires I'm not sure how much of a handle he has.

Relax, that comment was made just a few days after arriving and all of the out of town football players were probably home for Christmas break. Also just because there are no announcements doesn't mean things aren't happening. I have no personal knowledge but I can wait awhile before being concerned at all.

Relax, that comment was made just a few days after arriving and all of the out of town football players were probably home for Christmas break. Also just because there are no announcements doesn't mean things aren't happening. I have no personal knowledge but I can wait awhile before being concerned at all.

Agree with Geezer, I don't see a big problem yet. That said, I hope we see/hear something by the end of next week. I'm sure he has a very busy schedule, and the holidays didn't help. But this is one of the issues Lamar search committee inflicted into the process due to length of time they took getting a head coach.

To me it is also indicative that probably none of the previous staff will be retained.

Does it concern any of you that Schultz has been employed for nearly two weeks and has yet to hire one coach?

Do people want to work for this guy? I don't want to write him off too early, but the stuff that comes out of his mouth is appalling. "I have yet to reach all of the football players yet." I appreciate the transparency, but that is something YOU DO NOT admit. It makes you appear like you don't have a handle on what's happening and from the lack of hires I'm not sure how much of a handle he has.

I'm not aware of a kid that hasn't been contacted personally as of last week. Gathering contact info and getting in touch with 18-20 year olds during the holidays, when the dorms are closed isn't like flipping a switch. I assume the assistants will be announced pretty soon.

I'm not aware of a kid that hasn't been contacted personally as of last week. Gathering contact info and getting in touch with 18-20 year olds during the holidays, when the dorms are closed isn't like flipping a switch. I assume the assistants will be announced pretty soon.

No shit. I'm actually fine with no assistants being announced yet. To me it shows he's taking his time and not just hiring any jackwagon off the streets. This dude knows what the f he's doing...and I know for a fact he's been busting his ass since day one. Schultz isn't going to settle for mediocrity or hire anyone that even has that word in their vocabulary.

The first reported offers of the Mike Schultz era have gone out today.

[tweet]817064433327411200[/tweet]

Brandon Arnold a 6'2" 250lbs DL from Smithson Valley HS.

Also holds an offer from Southeast Oklahoma St.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6934441/brandon-arnold

[tweet]817087410081239040[/tweet]

Myles Wanza a 5'8" 180 lbs ATH from Summer Creek HS

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3751807/myles-wanza

[tweet]817180140937547777[/tweet]

Azuka Mgbemena a 6'1" DL from Spring Westfield HS

Holds other offers from Central Arkansas, Incarnate Word, Sam Houston & The Citadel

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4297637/azuka-mgbemena

Edited by KABrother88

While there is little to no guarantee that players recruited by more teams succeed, it is nice to see that at least one of those listed has multiple offers from other conference teams.

Wanza is a guy that would have several offers if he wasn't 5'8". When I watched his film my first thought was Kade Harrington's HS film. While I understand that is a large comparison but their HS film is very similar. Then add in both had 22 TDs in 9 games as a senior and while Kade averaged more a game 222 to 178 but Wanza had 72 less carries and a higher per carry average 7.55 to 8.25.

I like the film on all 3 guys though

[tweet]817498678076252161[/tweet]

Colton Peterson a 6'4" 290 lbs OL from Tomball Memorial HS

2-Star on both Rivals and 24/7

First offer for him and he has already scheduled an official visit for Jan 13

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6163436/colton-peterson

Jumped the gun on Peterson's offer but he was officially offered on his visit

[tweet]820682862450110466[/tweet]

Edited by KABrother88

No shit. I'm actually fine with no assistants being announced yet. To me it shows he's taking his time and not just hiring any jackwagon off the streets. This dude knows what the f he's doing...and I know for a fact he's been busting his ass since day one. Schultz isn't going to settle for mediocrity or hire anyone that even has that word in their vocabulary.

I agree, doesn't bother me one bit. He's here, make sure he gets who he wants. And judging from his press conference, half ass ain't gonna cut it.