2017 Lamar Football Recruiting Board

KABrother88

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[tweet]816790891243388931[/tweet]

Looks like Coach Schultz is out on the recruiting trail and has targeted West Orange-Stark DL TeRon Brown. Only offer he has listed at the moment is from Kilgore JC.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5563548/teron-brown

Brown was officially offered today. 6'2" 225 lbs.

[tweet]819926669263863810[/tweet]

Should have a pair of visitors mid week next week. Both DL from the SA area. One is Quincey Williams from Cibolo Steele HS. The other is Darren Thomas from Converse Judson HS. Thomas currently committed to Texas State so Lamar has their work cut out for them recruiting him. However, he is the son of Donald Thomas who played DB for Lamar from 1980-83 so there is a chance that could potentially factor in.

Several of you are much more in the know of the status of the Lamar players from last years team, such as what positions did Lamar loose the most depth at and which if any seniors left holes that there is no one coming back to fill. I know offensively that there are a couple of running backs that could still develop but none are ready to fill Harrington's shoes as none of them even came close this past year. Are any of the known recruits , difference makers that will come in and pick the team up immediately?

[tweet]821061790352162817[/tweet]

Dorian Gaston a 6'1" 185 lbs WR from Itawamba CC

In 9 games last year he had 44 catches for 793 yards and 9 TDs

HS and JC teammate of Isaiah Howard who will be on an Official Visit this weekend. Would assume Gaston would accompany him.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/5132383/dorian-gaston

I know coaches will sometimes move players to needed positions but sure would like to see a few big DL commit.

By some of the offers going out recently it looks like they have prioritized the OL & DL. These are the offers by position since Schultz took over.

RB - 1

WR - 1

TE - 1

OL - 3

DL - 4

DB - 1

ATH - 2

Also I had been told that 2 DL with offers from the previous staff are supposed to be on official visits today and tomorrow.

I know that the players from West Orange and Nederland are from very strong high school programs so that is a plus, but what are their physical stats. The photo of the Nederland player doesn't look like he is as big as I would hope for. I want to see a 6-3 or taller 300# player with quickness and strength. Somebody that can destroy the opponents offense. A six footer at 270 sounds like a cross between a DE and a LB.

I know that the players from West Orange and Nederland are from very strong high school programs so that is a plus, but what are their physical stats. The photo of the Nederland player doesn't look like he is as big as I would hope for. I want to see a 6-3 or taller 300# player with quickness and strength. Somebody that can destroy the opponents offense. A six footer at 270 sounds like a cross between a DE and a LB.

Not gonna see many 6'3" 300 lbs DL straight outta HS at the FCS level. They are either FBS guys or are carrying too much "bad weight". It's all about getting those 6'2" 250 lbs guys in a quality strength & conditioning program to add the needed mass. Looking at the STATS FCS All-Americans for 2016 and you'll see that you don't have to be that size to be effective at the FCS level. The heaviest listed DL AA was 290 lbs. In fact the best DL in the SLC the last couple season is only listed at 6'1" 280 in SHSU DE PJ Hall.

Having said that I, do agree that you need a couple of those big bodies to plug the middle and take on multiple blocker to allow the LBs to make plays but they are just scarce at the HS level so you are looking for guys you think will project to that.