Is there anything going on with Lamar football?

Dracula

I think Schultz is gonna start Colbert come hell or high water.

...Colbert looked like crap Saturday and got dressed down pretty good on one occasion but Schultz has stated before that he would start game one. He's too quick to give up on a play and tuck and run in my opinion...

....QBs were switching between the ones and twos so it varied. Saw the new freshman QB Johnson. He looks taller than 6'3" but he got no action and will probably redshirt if possible. There was also a Jack Dallas sighting but he only ran a couple red zone series and was the backup holder on PAT....

....Darrel Colbert, Jr., completed 4-of-7 passes for 95 yards, and carried the ball eight times for 88 yards....

.... Transfer Jordan Hoy was 3-of-6 for 67 yards, and had five carries for 35 yards...

Schultz wants a dual threat QB. This leaves Morse sitting on the bench. Sorry, but it is what it is. That leaves 4 QB's that can be described as dual threats; Colbert, Hoy, Dallas, and Johnson. Johnson should be red shirted this season. The final three are 1) Colbert, 2) Hoy, 3) Dallas. In order to keep play options open, Dallas will get in the game as the holder for FG's and PAT's.

I just can't see how Schultz can not play both Colbert and Hoy. Last year, I also had the same opinion that Colbert would tuck and run too quickly but last year's team was a whole different animal. I really can't hold last year against him. I hope that this year's offence is different and maybe we see a better performance from Colbert. That brings us to Hoy. I watched this kid's Hudl films from 2016 and I think he is what the doctor ordered. He looks like he has an accurate arm, he doesn't give up on a pass play and tuck and run, and he is elusive and freakish fast. I just don't see how Schultz can keep him off the field.

I guess we will not know until game #3 but Colbert better bring the goods or Hoy will.

...Colbert looked like crap Saturday and got dressed down pretty good on one occasion but Schultz has stated before that he would start game one. He's too quick to give up on a play and tuck and run in my opinion...

....QBs were switching between the ones and twos so it varied. Saw the new freshman QB Johnson. He looks taller than 6'3" but he got no action and will probably redshirt if possible. There was also a Jack Dallas sighting but he only ran a couple red zone series and was the backup holder on PAT....

....Darrel Colbert, Jr., completed 4-of-7 passes for 95 yards, and carried the ball eight times for 88 yards....

.... Transfer Jordan Hoy was 3-of-6 for 67 yards, and had five carries for 35 yards...

Schultz wants a dual threat QB. This leaves Morse sitting on the bench. Sorry, but it is what it is. That leaves 4 QB's that can be described as dual threats; Colbert, Hoy, Dallas, and Johnson. Johnson should be red shirted this season. The final three are 1) Colbert, 2) Hoy, 3) Dallas. In order to keep play options open, Dallas will get in the game as the holder for FG's and PAT's.

I just can't see how Schultz can not play both Colbert and Hoy. Last year, I also had the same opinion that Colbert would tuck and run too quickly but last year's team was a whole different animal. I really can't hold last year against him. I hope that this year's offence is different and maybe we see a better performance from Colbert. That brings us to Hoy. I watched this kid's Hudl films from 2016 and I think he is what the doctor ordered. He looks like he has an accurate arm, he doesn't give up on a pass play and tuck and run, and he is elusive and freakish fast. I just don't see how Schultz can keep him off the field.

I guess we will not know until game #3 but Colbert better bring the goods or Hoy will.

Pretty much agree. Colbert is, as Dennis Green said "who we thought they were!!". He isn't changing and neither is the offense from watching spring and fall practice. Colbert should be third string due to Morse' A+ arm. I also agree that Hoy is elusive and freakishly fast...hands down a better "dual threat" QB than Colbert...better arm, elusiveness, decision making, and speed. We may never get to know what Morse could actually do unless you watched the games he was thrown into as a true freshman. That kid has been really done wrong. He bailed them out big time in a pinch and played pretty dang good with a garbage O-line.

Perhaps Schulz isn't aware of this. There are different positions on a football field for reasons. Big giant strong dudes play offensive line or defensive line. Faster dudes play things like defensive back and running back. Guys who can THROW play QB. You see, that is the primary purpose/differentiator of the QB position. If you can't throw or are below average throwing then YOU DON'T PLAY QB!!! Yes, it's nice to see a QB make a great run every now and then but that won't consistently win football games...(well, unless you go with the triple option like OU back in the day).

Pretty much agree. Colbert is, as Dennis Green said "who we thought they were!!". He isn't changing and neither is the offense from watching spring and fall practice. Colbert should be third string due to Morse' A+ arm. I also agree that Hoy is elusive and freakishly fast...hands down a better "dual threat" QB than Colbert...better arm, elusiveness, decision making, and speed. We may never get to know what Morse could actually do unless you watched the games he was thrown into as a true freshman. That kid has been really done wrong. He bailed them out big time in a pinch and played pretty dang good with a garbage O-line.

was Morse recruited by anyone else? Im suprised hes still here. Hell, i wish he'd transfer to someplace with a chance to pass, instead of this dual threat, running crap

There are exceptions to every rule and the exception to your QB rule of Guys who can THROW play QB. You see, that is the primary purpose/differentiator of the QB position. If you can't throw or are below average throwing then YOU DON'T PLAY QB!!! was painfully excepted by the 2015 Southland Conference season and particularly by Lamar on 11-21-15. I was there as I am sure we all were. McNeese couldn't throw worth a crap but they could run and they had a ridiculously good defense and, if I remember correctly, a nationally highly ranked defense at that. The McNeese QB, Daniel Sams, was 7-19-37 passing but rushed 19 for 113 yards and a TD. Sam was the third leading McNeese rusher that night. Overall,they rushed for 406 yards and two TD's on 60 carries. McNeese, with the win, finished their regular season at 10-0,9-0. Not bad for a team, whose QB really couldn't throw all that well.

https://static.southland.org/custompages/stats/football/2015/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

2015 was the 2,000 yd year and, in several statistical offensive categories, Lamar was better than McNeese. Harrington was far and away the rushing leader but Sams, the McNeese QB, with almost 1,000 yards. was #3. Passing wise, Sams was #6 with a 49.3 completion rate and in passing efficiency, he's not even listed. Then, you check out the defensive stat side. McNeese ate that side like it was Grandma's gumbo.

It can be done but I don't think that Lamar's defense is going to be as good. I wouldn't mind seeing a wishbone attack.

There are exceptions to every rule and the exception to your QB rule of Guys who can THROW play QB. You see, that is the primary purpose/differentiator of the QB position. If you can't throw or are below average throwing then YOU DON'T PLAY QB!!! was painfully excepted by the 2015 Southland Conference season and particularly by Lamar on 11-21-15. I was there as I am sure we all were. McNeese couldn't throw worth a crap but they could run and they had a ridiculously good defense and, if I remember correctly, a nationally highly ranked defense at that. The McNeese QB, Daniel Sams, was 7-19-37 passing but rushed 19 for 113 yards and a TD. Sam was the third leading McNeese rusher that night. Overall,they rushed for 406 yards and two TD's on 60 carries. McNeese, with the win, finished their regular season at 10-0,9-0. Not bad for a team, whose QB really couldn't throw all that well.

https://static.southland.org/custompages/stats/football/2015/confldrs.htm#conf.wi2

2015 was the 2,000 yd year and, in several statistical offensive categories, Lamar was better than McNeese. Harrington was far and away the rushing leader but Sams, the McNeese QB, with almost 1,000 yards. was #3. Passing wise, Sams was #6 with a 49.3 completion rate and in passing efficiency, he's not even listed. Then, you check out the defensive stat side. McNeese ate that side like it was Grandma's gumbo.

It can be done but I don't think that Lamar's defense is going to be as good. I wouldn't mind seeing a wishbone attack.

The problem is that Colbert is no Daniel Sams...worse arm, way slower, and way less quickness...not really comparable at all. The key to the dual threat offense is having the ability/threat of being able to throw it with some accuracy. I don't see that consistently from Colbert.

2 problems with your comparison.

1.) That game was miserable weather wise. Box score says it was 62 degrees and 17 MPH winds...but that was at kickoff and a cold front started blowing in around halftime. 2nd half of the game was light rain with winds of 25+ probably and temperature had dropped into the low 50s upper 40s. Not great weather for passing numbers.

2.) Lamar’s defense was absolutely putrid...in fact that was the 3rd game they gave up over 400 yards on the ground.

But while on the topic of QBs, I noticed something that I don’t think has happened since the return of football. We acutually have all QBs spaced out over all 5 levels of eligibility. Colbert (Sr), Hoy (Jr), Morse (So), Dallas (R-Fr) and Johnson (T-Fr).

I had forgotten how miserable the weather was at that game. Now I remember. I was standing at the field house end, home field side entrance ramp and I was going into the bathroom to warm up. (T-FR). What does the T stand for?
True freshman (T-FR) that was one of the only games of any kind that I left before it was over. Miserable cold wind. They will try and make it thru the year with Colbert, Hoy, and Morse. They aren't planning on playing Dallas or Johnson. I think they have Dallas holding PATs to get his letter. I have a feeling before it's over all three will get playing time at some point due to injury.

Sometimes, I would hang out on the visitor side back porch of the Montagne Center. It's got a pretty good elevated view. One game, I needed to walk over to the home field side and video the band's half time performance for my son. Cutting through the Montagne would save some steps on my creaky knees and that is always a good thing. The problem was the entrance doors were locked but employees would come and go and I made my move. I walked from one side, of the Montagne, to the other passing the Morgan Suites entrance and their buffet table in the hallway. I was not impressed with that buffet table. They may as well have offered left over Halloween candy. Maybe this season, I'll check it out again.

I wasn’t impressed with the food...same old Chartwells food they served at the dining hall when I was there...but the beer was paid for and the heater was on...life was good!

On another note...just saw a picture where it looks like they are changing out the faded Lamar light up letters on the video board.

looking at all the videos of practice and all the interviews ive decided that we actually look like a college football team.
Hoping for a quick, confidence building start. I know the first game won't show much, but a decent showing in Lubbock, then a home game we should win if we're any good would be a good start imho. The defense looks weaker than last year in fall practice but hopefully that's due to an improved offense. Definitely bigger up front. Good gravy it was hot Saturday at 8 damn 15 in the morning!!

Got another new name added to the roster in former Texas Tech DB Willie Sykes. Originally signed with Arkansas and played in 12 games as a true freshman the transferred to TT and used his RS in 2016. Played in 8 games with 2 starts last season in Lubbock.

Normally, you'd be excited to see a former SEC/Big 12 guy on the roster until you begin to ask why he isn't still at those schools? Coach Woodard signed big school players but it was because they had disciplinary issues. Do you what the story is on Sykes. Is he just a guy or is he a player with 'issues'?

Got another new name added to the roster in former Texas Tech DB Willie Sykes. Originally signed with Arkansas and played in 12 games as a true freshman the transferred to TT and used his RS in 2016. Played in 8 games with 2 starts last season in Lubbock.
There's at least one more that is waiting on word back from the NCAA on eligibility this season. They're supposed to hear any day.