Cards versus Cards Basketball

geezer

Lamr men take a seven point lead into halftime. Atwood hurt his left leg and did not play about the last five minutes of the first half. LU committed seven first half turnovers and have committed seven personal fouls although five of those are on two players (Barrett and Jeudy). Positives are rebounding and shooting percentage. Edited by geezer

FInal score LU 87 - UIW 81. Game was close in virtually every stat. The only real difference was the total number of free throws shot. In that stat LU shot 32 compared to 15 attempts for UIW. However LU only made nine more free throws than UIW as LU shot 69% compared to 86% for UIW. LU had a fourteen point lead in the middle of the second half and maybe it's the timing of the turnovers but ultimately the LU Cards don't have a solid point guard yet. Hunter is doing the best but he still appears to injury issues or something as he had to come out tonights game for a period of time for what appeared to be cramping or some kind of muscle issue. None of the rest of the guards have demonstrated that they can make good descissions and control the team. The other thing on offense in my opinion is that everyone tends to force the offense most of the time. Guards will get into a dribble until in trouble and force a shot or bad pass that results in a turnover and Nzeakor tends to not kick the ball back out, in stead bringing the ball down into a double team or forcing a shot. You would think that players in at least their third year of playing D-1 ball would have learned how to move the ball without dribbling and to make quick passes to move the defense and create an open shot or an open drive to the basket. Something has to change for LU to take the next step up the competition ladder in the SLC.

To put this game into perspective, Incarnate Word’s RPI ranking is 342, 8th worst in Division 1 basketball. Lamar has to go to OT at home to beat them - pathetic. Plus IWU played mostly freshman and sophomores, so their program is building, ours is going the other direction.

Agree I would rather be struggling with Freshmen and Sophomores, but in reality most of Lamar's juniors are first year D-1 players or transfers from another D-1 program that didn't play last year so you could say the experience level isn't as far apart as it first looks. That said I would prefer that Price had more freshmen recruits than he has brought in the last couple of years. Also I am really disappointed with the lack of production from the two big sophomores he brought in last year as freshmen.

Agree I would rather be struggling with Freshmen and Sophomores, but in reality most of Lamar's juniors are first year D-1 players or transfers from another D-1 program that didn't play last year so you could say the experience level isn't as far apart as it first looks. That said I would prefer that Price had more freshmen recruits than he has brought in the last couple of years. Also I am really disappointed with the lack of production from the two big sophomores he brought in last year as freshmen.

I haven't watched them this year but the last couple of years, in the games I did watch, their offense was a joke. It's not really an offense, no ball movement, very little player movement, hardly any screens. It's more like playground basketball, dribble around..maybe pass once and shoot or turn it over.

I haven't watched them this year but the last couple of years, in the games I did watch, their offense was a joke. It's not really an offense, no ball movement, very little player movement, hardly any screens. It's more like playground basketball, dribble around..maybe pass once and shoot or turn it over.

When all it takes to get a contract extension is to barely be above.500 and qualify for the SLC tournament then why bother with all those pesky details! 😃