Basketball Double Header at Corpus Christi

geezer

Half time and LU is leading 29-22. Neither team shooting very good, but both teams are about equal in all stats. Garth leading the way 13 points for LU and Barrett has six rebounds. Foul wise Barrett and Jeudy both have two fouls. CC has one player with two fouls and no one in double figures scoring wise. Edited by geezer

Cards hang on for a 63-58 win despite missing four or five of their last seven free throws. Positive note Buster comes off the bench to score 17 points for his third straight double figure scoring performance. Edited by geezer

The basketball team is almost replicating what football did.I seem to remember that coach Price has another year left on his contract.Buying out a year would then be a part of the equation to replace Price.Huaving seen all the teams in the conference play,if the Cards have a bye they can win the tournament.Oddsmakers are seeing that potential too.

At this point & time, I don't see the need to disrupt the team chemistry with coaching changes. Price had 8-9 new guys on the team this year. It takes time for players to jell together. Lamar will have a ton of experienced players next year. Expectations should be very high. No excuses!!

He needs to win a few SLC tournament games. He’s done a great job getting Lamar competitive in the regular season but that hasn’t translated when the stakes are raised.

Compared to five or six weeks ago it looks like a fifth or sixth place finish and close to twenty wins is very reachable this year. Even in early January when things looked bleak and I stated that it might be time for a coaching change, I really didn't expect one at the end of this year. Unless Born has a quality coach that he knows he can land for LU a change could cause another big step back which LU can't afford. I'm glad the team has progressed the last half of this season, but I still doubt that Coach Price will produce a consistent top two team in the conference on a regular basis. My preference is that Lamar (in all sports) would become so strong in the SLC that a better conference would come courting the school to join them.

My confidence is high that the men will win the last 3 games at home and,due to the other teams' schedules,we will at least finish tied for 4th.Kudos to coach Price and the team for winning both games in the last week against the adversity of Price's mother unexpectedly passing.

If he can bring in three more recruits like Buster,Barrett and Hunter next year there is reason for optimism.Atwood should also be healthy which could help again.

Zion Richardson was the highest ranked HS prospect committed to Lamar in years but he decomitted shortly before signing day and has had the kind of the season which should

net him high major offers. Kudos to the staff for going after him.

At last check, I don’t believe they have anyone committed to fill Nzeakor & Garth’s scholarships.

From his last three performances Buster will fill Garths spot. Easter has progressed over this year so I think the guard/shootiing guard play will continue to improve next year. Agree finding another quality guard in the upcoming recruiting class ahould be a priority. Replacing Nzeakor will be somewhat more difficult as neither of the sophmores has shown significant improvement over last year, but maybe Price has just not given them the playing time they need to really progress. The combination of Jeudy, Sullivan and Foster may fill Nzeakors spot, but I hope Price can find a quality 6-9 or bigger player to come in.

From his last three performances Buster will fill Garths spot. Easter has progressed over this year so I think the guard/shootiing guard play will continue to improve next year. Agree finding another quality guard in the upcoming recruiting class ahould be a priority. Replacing Nzeakor will be somewhat more difficult as neither of the sophmores has shown significant improvement over last year, but maybe Price has just not given them the playing time they need to really progress. The combination of Jeudy, Sullivan and Foster may fill Nzeakors spot, but I hope Price can find a quality 6-9 or bigger player to come in.

I would like to see a shooter with some size at the #4 spot. Also would like to see a big guy, but in the SLC, size is not a requirement to be effective. Weisbrod showed this along with the Marshall kid at SHSU (6’6”). But a freshman big guy would be nice.

A "quality" big guy would dominate the SLC, become a #2 draft pick, and make All American. Not necessarily in that order. He would own the SLC with good players surrounding him. But in reality, most quality big guys have the big schools after them and they follow their heart.

Only way I see Lamar getting a "quality" big guy is to take a chance on an overseas player, and not sure this program even looks at that talent pool. Like Houston Hoops says, the USA/ Canada guys are swallowed up by the big schools.

I would tend to agree that your probably not going to get a young big that can come in and contribute immediately but you might find one that will develop. I think LU has enough in the mid-range height category to hold their own in the SLC the next couple of years. Barrett will be a beast next year assuming he progresses over the off season.