Interesting article on Lamar Football 2019

Dracula

Here is where you go wrong. LU and UIW had bad football programs because they had bad HC's. It's pretty much that simple. UIW caught lightning in a bottle when they hired Eric Morris as their HC. UIW was middlin' to mediocre during the Larry kenon years, just like he never finished higher than 3rd place, while at Lamar, and that's why UIW changed HC's before the 2018 season. In comes Eric Morris, https://uiwcardinals.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2153&path=football If you read his bio, you will understand how UIW made such a big offensive and season turnaround last year. It gets worse. Cody Crill was hired as the OC.https://uiwcardinals.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2162&path=football Read his bio and now UIW has not one but two very successful offensive minds running the show. It gets worser. The very capable offensive minded HC recruits a stud passing QB, Jon Copeland. Guess what happens when you have very good offensive minds, at HC and OC, and then bring in a stud passing QB? You want to see the results. No, you really don't. That's why UIW exploded for a co- championship last year. it's pretty much that simple.

Lamar followed the same path. Woodard sucked as a HC and Lamar finally canned him. Lamar signs Schultz, who also has a pretty impressive resume as an offensive coach. Schultz's initial problem was that he didn't have a Jon Copeland, at QB, during his first two seasons. Still, give Schultz credit for building up the program and getting an invite to the playoffs, in only his second year as HC. Schultz has done a remarkable job in rebuilding the program and expectations are high, for season 3, of the Mike Schultz era.

A lot of guys ate a lot of crow last year because they doubted Schultz. If you stay on the anti Schultz bandwagon, then get ready to eat some, too. You have been warned.

c'mon give it a rest. You know what. You've got your position and I've got mine. I'll take my chances with that .391 winning percentage. One of us is going to be wrong and I'm going to dog you all year, whether you're here or not.

It will be interesting watching fall practices if allowed to this year. There's a few DB transfers that weren't at spring practice. I'm also hoping Nate Jones has earned a place back on the team. He's a stud. Secondary is the definite question mark. Hoy is much better than Colbert, throwing and running. If they can get the defensive backfield figured out it will be an interesting year.

I'll just say to validate the extension LU needs another 7-4 overall record and 6-3 in conference. With a couple of breaks could 8-1 in conference is a possibility but 7-2 is probably what will be needed to get a return to the FCS playoffs.

Your thoughts on my predictions for road / home wins and losses or care to make your own? Would be interesting to see what everyone thinks and then look back at the end of the season and see who was closest to what actually happens.

At the level of depth in this level of FCS it's a crapshoot because of potential injuries, etc. I really am not at liberty to talk the etc but if the team stays healthy, 6-3 or better in conference is attainable imho. You seem to dislike Shultz but if you don't see the difference in size and strength before and after he's been here, you're blind. He's a full born jerk at practice and the kids needed a kick in the pants. Woodard was an awesome guy but was soft on the players. Shultz wasn't liked by no means by the kids when he started but they needed it.

My opinion takes into account that in FCS football the conference as a whole has improved and the likelyhood of somebody running the table is a lot lower than it was three or four years ago. I won't take anything away from IW's season but just like I'll wait another year or two before really commenting on Schultz's coaching abilities, I'll wait to see if last season was a fluke for IW. I recogonize the talented qb they landed but when he got hurt last year IW's success fell quite a bit to end the year. Also they got the benefit of one less conference game than the rest of the conference. Also (and I haven't) look at how many contenders did each school play. I think I've made the point in other posts about the administration and I try not to drag the same issue into every thread. I think that the conference is strong enough that even an identical record could be an improvement. My one gripe against the football program at this point is playing lower division schools for a home game. I would prefer another FCS school home or away or even another FBS school, not necessarily a major to test the players. Finishing in the top two or three and getting in the playoffs consistently is my standard. Yeah I want championships but with uneven schedules that can become a matter of who you played in the conference schedule not who the best team was in a given year. As for the extension, if the compensation package for the coach isn't enough to keep them then an extension is the next best thing.

Well, that's better than 8 weeks til kickoff; glass half full and all that but it's getting there.

This upcoming season, I think LU's passing game is going to be so much better. It looks like LU has a passing QB, either Hoy or Mcbride but look who is flying under the radar, Jermine Givens, freshman QB. That kid has an impressive bio

Completed 345-of-599 (.576) passes for 5,093 yards (14.8 ypc) during his three seasons on varsity … Recorded 49 touchdown passes … Also carried the ball 500 times for 3,253 yards and 36 touchdowns … Averaged better than 6 yards per carry … Recorded more than 8,300 yards of total offense and 85 total touchdowns during his high school career … Named District 11-6A MVP following his junior season … Ranked among the state’s top 10 (among 6A quarterbacks) in passing yards and TD passes … Guided Mesquite Horn to the 2017 District title.

Looking over the WR group, I really like the Marcellus Johnson move to WR. I think that kid is going to be a go to guy at 6'3 and 200+. Another one I like is incoming freshman Erik Pizzaro. His bio reads like this kid was a real find.

first-team all-state receiver … District 16-4A Offensive Player of the Year … Played in the Blue-Grey All-America game … Named Offense MVP at the All-American Bowl … Recorded 89 catches for 1,660 yards (18.7 ypc) and 20 touchdowns as a senior … Averaged better than 150 receiving yards per game during his final high school season … Completed his high school career with 132 catches for 2,454 yards (18.6 ypc) and 30 touchdowns … Averaged better than 120 receiving yards per game in his final two seasons … As a senior was sixth in the state of Texas, and 19th nationally, in receiving yards … Also, a standout in baseball and track and field.

I like LU's chances for 8-3 and a return to the playoffs; glass full and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
It will be interesting watching fall practices if allowed to this year. There's a few DB transfers that weren't at spring practice. I'm also hoping Nate Jones has earned a place back on the team. He's a stud. Secondary is the definite question mark. Hoy is much better than Colbert, throwing and running. If they can get the defensive backfield figured out it will be an interesting year.
From what I'm hearing, Jones will be back on the field this year. He will be a welcomed addition coming back. He had 6 INTs the year before last while only starting a couple of games. He's can flat play. Supposedly the newcomers to the defensive backfield are impressing also. #PeckEm