Football Picked for Fifth in Preseason SLC Poll

geezer

https://lamarcardinals.com/news/2019/7/18/football-cardinals-picked-fifth-in-slc-preseason-poll.aspx

Cards play three of the top four picks and does not play number one pick Nicholls. The pick is probably a realistic one based on last year and LU history. Here's hoping the team proves the pick to be too low. My guess is the first two SLC games will set the tone. At SELA and home against SFA.

https://lamarcardinals.com/news/2019/7/18/football-cardinals-picked-fifth-in-slc-preseason-poll.aspx

Cards play three of the top four picks and does not play number one pick Nicholls. The pick is probably a realistic one based on last year and LU history. Here's hoping the team proves the pick to be too low. My guess is the first two SLC games will set the tone. At SELA and home against SFA.

I agree with you. Who conducts this poll - is it media, coaches, or a combination?

i got my cardinal colored sun glasses on. i see us in the top 3. i think the "sleeper" this year will be ACU

I don't have a clue about how good most of the other teams will be. My gut feeling is that UIW will be a bear, Sam is beatable this year, and the cowbellbillies, from the wrong side of the river, are just a season record padding opportunity.

One other thing, that my gut tells me besides stop eating, is that LU will be ready to play. Back , in the day, Jimmy Johnson had the Cowboys ready to play and wanting to play. I get that same vibe going into year 3 of the Schultz era. How can something the size , of my gut, be wrong?

The pick is where I expected it to be. On paper IWU has most everyone back, a lot of people think Sam imploded but will be back based on talent, SFA had an great recruiting class, and ACU is an up and comer. Then there is no reason to think Nicholls will be worse and Central Arkansas should be a contender. Mcneese maybe pick a little high considering a new coaching staff.

That said, I think unpredictable things will probably be the difference in the conference, such as injuries. I am excited to think Lamar will field possibly their best team yet, but we need to realize most teams in the conference can beat any other team in the conference. The only lower bracket teams maybe HBU and NWSt. Just hope the SLC gets the national respect in might deserve.

But I love the fact that we are competitive within the conference and if the talented newcomers in the secondary pan out, we might be scary good.

Edited by Skinny1