MBB at Utah Valley

geezer

Men travel to Utah Valley this coming Thursday at 8:00 PM Beaumont time. We can get a preview of what may be coming as Utah Valley plays Kentucky tonight on ESPN2. Utah Valley is a fairly experienced team with three seniors and five juniors. They have good size with a 7'0" senior center, a 6'11" sophomore and only two players under 6'3". Utah Valley is currently 3-1 going into their game at Kentucky. Edited by geezer

Watched the first half and my take is that Utah Valley will be very tough to beat at home. Their point guard is a slasher that like to kick the ball out to the three point line, but might be subject to the defense making him attempt to finish instead of kicking it out. Their senior forward #24 is a good three point shooter even with a hand in his face. Defensively UV plays man or matchup zone with quite a bit of pressure on the ball. The big seems slow and subject to committing fouls when the other team attacks him at the basket. Likes to block shots. UV stayed close to Kentucky through out the first half. As far Lamar vs Kentucky, Kentucky is only playing seven players as they have several out with injuries so I'm not sure that Lamar will see a similar Kentucky team depending on the extent of their injuries.

2nd half UV forced Kentucky to play zone. The guard that I thought was a slasher also showed he can shoot the three, six to eight feet beyond the three point line. The dude shot 5-12 on deep threes. UVU defeated UAB on the road, whom Lamar plays after Kentucky.

Compared to a thread from the summer, I am optimistic about the season. I think this team has potential to compete for a top three finish in the conference race. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see a big loss at UVU and an even bigger loss at Kentucky. I am hoping they can come back and play UAB close and mayber even pull that one out. Don't really expect a win at Texas Southern either. As I said at the beginning of the thread, the UVU game should give a pretty good indicator of what to expect for the next two games.

UVU comes out of the first timeout and goes on a tear. The Cards are taking poor shots, allowing UVU to move easily in the transition game and get clean open shots which they have hit easily. UVU uses three treys to move out to a 14-6 lead over three minutes.

Lamar wins 74-68. This is a big win for a young club. Cards closed the game out at the free throw line as they did not get a field goal over the last two and half minutes, but also did a good job of controlling UVU forcing them to use a fair amount of time on offense and not giving many open shots to UVU in the second half. Sullivan lead the Cardinals in scoring with 17 by Atwood with 13 all in the second half. Edited by geezer