MBB at Utah Valley

geezer

I'm afraid Lamar will lose by 20+ in this one. I don't share the same optimism as everyone else!

I love crow for dinner! Have to say, I like this team's toughness. Looking forward to seeing what Kopp can do out there as well, we could use some more scoring from our 2nd unit.

UVU was undermanned tonight, only coming into the game with 7 healthy scholarship players, but Lamar took advantage. I was most encouraged with Lamar's resiliency when Buster didn't have it going.

The development of Avery Sullivan was huge - he was a beast!

Where the hell is my post!! It was a beauty!

Screw it. I’ll type it again. While watching us vs Duquesne we looked really good. It made me look at our recruiting class and I was impressed. Atwood looks totally different. For the most part he is under control and can make special moves at times. Sullivan is a big ole body we’ve needed for a long time. Not a scorer but if he realizes his role he can be a HUGE positive. Buster Holmes and Atwood can provide all the scoring we need plus some good bench players that can pick us up if needed. This is a really good mix of older plus younger with some size. Holmes provides great maturity + basketball iq. I’m pissed because I missed most of this game. I watched 2nd half of Utah Valley vs Kentucky and Utah definitely could have won that game. They choked down the stretch. I’m trying to remain calm but this is looking like the best team we’ve had in a long time!!! I don’t know what Buster did tonight but I when he figures it out at this level, stud.

I love crow for dinner! Have to say, I like this team's toughness. Looking forward to seeing what Kopp can do out there as well, we could use some more scoring from our 2nd unit.

UVU was undermanned tonight, only coming into the game with 7 healthy scholarship players, but Lamar took advantage. I was most encouraged with Lamar's resiliency when Buster didn't have it going.

The development of Avery Sullivan was huge - he was a beast!

You only need 5

What happens when #4 or #5 get hurt? You’re screwed! Need to develop depth

Same thing happens to every team. Performance and win numbers go down. Vitually no school can suffer a starter going down without creating a lower quality team. With this Lamar team they may have more depth than you think. First every game this year has had somebody different really play well. Yes Buster and Atwood have scored in double figures in everygame, Sullivan had his best night as a Cardinal last night, Nickerson came off the bench in another game and was unstoppable, Muoka had a good game on another night, Holmes has been consistent, Sohail is improving and plays with high energy all the time, Jefferson played well last night. The rest have done ok considering, I've already listed eight players and Kopp whom by reputation is supposed to bring an additional scoring threat and has decent size compared to some hearlded players over the last decade hasn't stepped foot on the court yet do to an injury. The main thing this group needs is experience and only playing games will give them that. I'm hopeful about this year for a strong performance in conference and anything better than a twenty point loss at Kentucky will be great. I might hope for better but Kentucky only had seven players for their game against UVU and I would expect some of the missing might be ready by Sunday. I am more concerned about how LU plays against UAB and Texas Southern finishing up this road trip.

I praised this team earlier but I also want to make note of areas that have potential to impede this team. Buster and Atwood have a tendency to force their play early in games. For Atwood, Thursday that found him picking up two early fouls and sitting most of the first half and Buster takes quick shots, early in the possesion instead of working through the team and looking for a better shot. Buster is a shooter, so that's not unusual. Holmes isn't enough of an outside shooting threat. I don't know for sure what his field goal percentage is, but if I were coaching against LU, I would try to force him to beat me from the outside. His game is driving to the basket and defense. Consistency is the main thing with the rest of the team, and playing experience may improve that.

This team has potential and players are improving week to week. Jefferson played well versus Mt St Mary’s and now Sullivan seems to have stepped up. The SLC is down this year with only New Orleans, SHSU, SFA, Nicholls, and Lamar looking decent.

Also a road win is good for a young team. I always felt that was a strength of Tubb’s teams, they all played well on the road and that was a SLC with some really tough places to play like USL, La Tech, & UT-Arlington.