Lamar gets one more shot at McNeese

lamarfan360

For me the outcome of this game should be irrelevent as to whether Price is retained or not. Either your satisfied with the season as a whole and you think he has the parts coming in for next year to improve or based on the overall body of work during his tenure you belive it's time for a new direction.

McNeese got off to a good start getting out to as much as a seven point lead, before Lamar tied the game with just under seven minutes left in the half. Lamar went on strong offensive run and good defense to lead by thirteen at the half. Lamar 37 - McNeese 24

Solid game for Lamar, Sullivan gets a double double with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Three other Cards finished the game in double figures led by Atwood with twenty. Maybe most impressive part of the win is the Cards had a total of four turnovers.

It is nice to have a relatively healthy team.Jefferson looked like he did earlier in the season before tweaking his back.Him being a contributor to the rotation was important.Lamar had a nice contingent at the game and its unfortunate our great fan base that travels well to Katy will be limited due to the conference ruling.

I felt this was one of Lamar’s better games. At the first 10 minutes, Cards were getting out hustled by the Cowboys and having trouble matching up with the rough play allowed by the officials. Once LU adjusted, they were able to get into the tempo of the game. Once Lamar got the lead, Cowboys seemed out of sync. The rest of the game. It also hurt McNeese that they couldn’t get any outside shots to fall. The last 5 minutes of the game seemed to be a terribly coached game by the Cowboys. They really made no adjustments to get themselves back into the game - they played man Man-to-man defense which allowed Lamar to isolate a guard and get open lay-ups versus playing zone and forcing Lamar to take outside shots. Also, Cowboys took their outside (3 point shooters) out, didn’t foul Lamar right away, and took their time bringing the ball into the forecourt. They seemed to never have any urgency to get back into the game. Looks like they just gave up!

Lamar did a nice job of never leaving Cowboy guard Dru who was the nations leading 3 point shooter and all conference.They also provided help on all conference big man Kemmedy and limited him.The Cowboys other players are not consistent shooters outside of 15 feet so the plan worked.The Cowboys did play all seniors and had a key big man out with concussion protocol since we last played.I was impressed by the large number of contributors.Our freshmen contributed and gives hope for next year as did our other underclassmen Buster and Sullivan that return.

Southland tourney cancelled .Ratfarts,we looked good when i was there last night. Based on other sports leaders decisions it was the right thing to do.The NCAA will probably do likewise as will many major conventions,sports leagues and events over next month or two.Hopefully heat,humidity and precautions depress the impact of this coronavirus.

I still don't see consistent excellence for Lamar basketball with Price at the head, but at the same time I have no problem if he is retained even for another couple of years. For me what happens is dependent on player and staff turnover this spring and summer and can he recruit a point guard? I am concerned whether Nickerson will stay considering the playing time he got. In the early pre-conference games he showed as much promise as any of the freshman. I won't be surprised if he leaves, but if there are more then I believe there is a problem of some kind that needs to be addressed.

I still don't see consistent excellence for Lamar basketball with Price at the head, but at the same time I have no problem if he is retained even for another couple of years. For me what happens is dependent on player and staff turnover this spring and summer and can he recruit a point guard? I am concerned whether Nickerson will stay considering the playing time he got. In the early pre-conference games he showed as much promise as any of the freshman. I won't be surprised if he leaves, but if there are more then I believe there is a problem of some kind that needs to be addressed.

I am surprised Nickerson was not redshirted considering how little he played. My guess was his defensive skills were not what the coaching staff felt was adequate to warrant more game time on the court. I agree he has shown tremendous upside physically.

If Nickerson comes around next year, with Muoka and Sullivan in the inside, could be a really good team.

I hope that Harrison is the true type of point guard that facilitates the offense, plays great defense and while he doesn't look to score first or attempt to take over the game is capable of knocking down the outside shot or getting to the rim when needed. From my point of view, none of Lamar's guards this year consistently looked to facilitate the offense. Each of this years guards tried to score first most of the time. Kopp and Buster would shoot a quick three rather than run the offense. Holmes and Jefferson quite often would drive to the basket without an outlet to pass the ball off to as the defense collapsed, then throw up a prayer hoping for a foul call.