Improved Facilities

TexGator

Was just reading the message boards about a couple of kids I personally know and that the crystal ball says on them (which was 100% right on one of them and 100% wrong on the other two- I know where they're going and the pundits are dead wrong on both of them).

That said, a big piece of the recruiting package thrown at kids is showing off the amazing facilities at the school. So, my question for y'all is... what does Lamar need to do, facility-wise, to entice teenagers to commit to spending four years in Beaumont? (not solely speaking of at Provost-Umphrey... I mean across the board, regardless of the sport or in general)

Lamar has facilities that match up well with all schools in the conference.Their budget is in the top 2.They also pay a cost of living stipend in all sports which no other conference university does last I checked.That payment is double that of many other schools I checked.Lamar has had better transportation options than a lot of conference schools whose budgets are 2/3 to 1/2 of Lamar’s.The dorms are far better than a decade ago as my daughter spent two years in them in the last decade.The use of the Beaumont Country Club has been a great positive over the years for the golf team.The softball/softball building is relatively new.A wonderful supporter helped with the tennis courts.The students cafeteria has great options,try it,and the Sheila Umphrey Recreational Sports Center is top notch.Like all schools you make dust or eat dust so there are always areas that need freshening up.

Practice facilities would definitely be a next step for football. Basketball is longer away unless you are going to significantly try to expand the use of the Montange for outside events. To me Vincent-Beck is one of the biggest negatives of Lamar sports facilities. I would like to see a plan that would basically replace the whole stadium. One that would provide a new locker room with direct access to the Lamar dugout, indoor batting cage, weight room etc. It should also have a visitor locker room. I've been out of town too long now to know what kind of locker rooms, meeting rooms etc. there are for the other minor sports.

I posted this a while back in another thread. This is from the February regents meeting:

Many of Lamar’s athletic facilities underwent upgrades and improvements in the last two years and several more are in the planning stages. The artificial turf at the Provost Umphrey football stadium is scheduled to be replaced in time for the fall 2020 football season, marketing renderings for a revitalized baseball stadium complex have been completed, preliminary planning for an indoor multi-purpose practice facility has begun, and improvements to the soccer/softball complex are envisioned, pending donor contributions.

I posted this a while back in another thread. This is from the February regents meeting:

Many of Lamar’s athletic facilities underwent upgrades and improvements in the last two years and several more are in the planning stages. The artificial turf at the Provost Umphrey football stadium is scheduled to be replaced in time for the fall 2020 football season, marketing renderings for a revitalized baseball stadium complex have been completed, preliminary planning for an indoor multi-purpose practice facility has begun, and improvements to the soccer/softball complex are envisioned, pending donor contributions.

First, a quick apology- didn't mean to "Dislike"...

Glad to hear it. This information needs to be better disseminated by the Alumni and Development offices... people are much more likely to give more generously, when there's a tangible payoff.

Doesn't have to be a name on the building... tickets, plaques, special perks (not just being in the Cardinal Club) sell people a lot more than writing a check and not seeing a direct payoff.

My opinion as to the facilities upgrades are:

• Remodel of Vincent-Beck, with covering over the seats behind home plate.

• Ty Terrell Track is in horrible condition. The stands and storage shed along University Drive have been condemned and torn down.

• A multipurpose athletic facility would be huge for football and band practice. Also, could be built with an indoor track for not only practice, but hosting meets. A shame that there is not an indoor track facility in the SLC and went to Birmingham, Alabama for conference meet.

All it takes is money!

My opinion as to the facilities upgrades are:

• Remodel of Vincent-Beck, with covering over the seats behind home plate.

• Ty Terrell Track is in horrible condition. The stands and storage shed along University Drive have been condemned and torn down.

• A multipurpose athletic facility would be huge for football and band practice. Also, could be built with an indoor track for not only practice, but hosting meets. A shame that there is not an indoor track facility in the SLC and went to Birmingham, Alabama for conference meet.

All it takes is money!

Love that idea- to find a way to create an indoor multi-purpose facility that focuses on being the long-term home of Southland Conference Indoor Track... and is also outfitted for football and band to use, when we're in mid-August and the thermometer pops like in an old Looney Tunes cartoon. That's a big price tag, but one that, if we're going to be the flagship school for the whole conference, can be shouldered.