Big Red Back in Action

lamarfan360

I didn't know he hit a player. I knew there were some issues at WSU but not that things got physical. If he interviews well and the administration feel good about him I would support such a hire.

They are going to open the money bags for whoever they decide to hire. The men's program average 6,000 fans as late as the early 90s. So, we can pay for a winning program and have good crowds in the Montagne Center or be a lower tier program in a mid-major WAC.

Yes the reported allegations were that at WSU he had hit one of the post players during a practice and there was another incident with one of the assistant coaches. There was a later report of an incident at Winthrop. There was a time that, that kind of behavior was accepted, but we seem to be beyond that today. For what it's worth the player he supposedly hit was nearly a foot taller and at least fifty pounds heavier. Like I said he would need to convince me he could change, but he definitely knows how to recruit and win.

Well, that news of at least 3 episodes of that kind of behavior would cause major concern regarding Gregg Marshall. I found an article that stated Marshall was due 7.75 million. They are paying him $48,000 every two weeks. How would that work has for a another university hiring him?

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article247294674.html

I don't know. You can always hope that there isn't a clause in his separation agreement that prevents him from continuing to collect his payment if he starts coaching again. I could imagine some clause that would cancel the agreement if he were to sign with another American Conference school. I don't know for a fact but I believe Mike Deane was collecting a check from Marquette when he came to Lamar.

They did negotiate Marshall's exit payout down to $48K every two weeks for however long his contract was through which is about half of what his actual salary was. There is no way WSU could afford anything close to his full salary and pay a new coach the approximately $3M per year Marshall was getting. As memory serves, when LU fired Knight they basically did a similar thing. LU promoted Price with a small salary increase. I don't remember if Lamar replaced Price's previous position immediately or not.

If WSU doesn't give him the job which so far it looks like he is earning then I agree, he would be a good candidate. Appears to be a players coach and knows what kind of player it takes to win at an upper tier program. The potential question is can he recruit to sustain the level of players needed.

If WSU doesn't give him the job which so far it looks like he is earning then I agree, he would be a good candidate. Appears to be a players coach and knows what kind of player it takes to win at an upper tier program. The potential question is can he recruit to sustain the level of players needed.

Well, Marshall hired him initially as his recruiting coordinator, so he should be able to recruit. He also has ties with the SLC when he was at Northeast La., they won the conference his senior year.

The reason I wonder about Brown's recruiting is that after he was tagged as interim coach, perhaps WSU highest ranked recruit withdrew his commitment and then committed to conference rival Tulsa. Seems like the recruit could have waited to see how things panned out a little before jumping, if Brown were involved.

SFA is paying their coach about $350K a year. Will LU step up and pay this much for a good coach so they can be competitive in the WAC?

The head coach for New Mexico State makes $530k, coach for Texas Southern makes $450k, the coach at SFA makes $380k.

I know the coaches for Tarleton and Grand Canyon make as much as the above mention coaches. I just can't find their listed salaries.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

What I'm getting at is if we can't compete salary wise for a good coach then we probably needed to stay in the SLC.

• 1 month later...
Was looking at some posts on the WAC message board and ran across another potential coach to look at. There was high praise for a former NMSU assistant named Jesse Bopp. Looked him up, he is currently an assistant at FIU and every program he has been at was very successful while he was there. He has head coaching experience at the high school level and his teams were winners. I know that is not at a college level where you recruit players to fit your system, but with experience recruiting and still fairly young he might be worth looking into.

I would agree that Crouch is a better game coach than Price, but I believe with the competition in the WAC the recruiting will have to take another step up. For WSU that would be my one question with Brown. How much did he have to do with getting the recruits that WSU has and can he continue to get them without Marshall's name? I know of at least one that decommitted after Marshall left and has committed to another school in their conference. To take the next step will need a coach that can do both. Roc was a good recruiter but not a good coach, Knight was a terrible recruiter and his coaching was suspect and Price in my opinion is a better coach than Knight or Roc, but isn't as good of recruiter as Roc was. I'm terrible at names but who was the assistant that Roc had the first year or two out of the Mississippi Juco? He seemed to know what he was doing.

I would agree that Crouch is a better game coach than Price, but I believe with the competition in the WAC the recruiting will have to take another step up. For WSU that would be my one question with Brown. How much did he have to do with getting the recruits that WSU has and can he continue to get them without Marshall's name? I know of at least one that decommitted after Marshall left and has committed to another school in their conference. To take the next step will need a coach that can do both. Roc was a good recruiter but not a good coach, Knight was a terrible recruiter and his coaching was suspect and Price in my opinion is a better coach than Knight or Roc, but isn't as good of recruiter as Roc was. I'm terrible at names but who was the assistant that Roc had the first year or two out of the Mississippi Juco? He seemed to know what he was doing.

Bubba Skelton is the head coach at Norhwestern Mississippi JC where he is also athletic director. I believe it would be difficult to get him here without a large commitment from the athletic department. He has been at NW Mississippi 15 years.

There are quite a few good coaching candidates. Saw where WSU gave Isaac Brown a 5 year contract. One guy to consider is Austin Crouch, head coach at Nichols State. He is only 29 years old and Nicholls is only paying him $95,000/year

Austin Claunch is a Houston native and has a very impressive resume.