Faye: Who Will Replace Tic Price

lamarfan360

The article is behind a paywall and that rag is not getting any of my money.

I got in??? But I usually do not put any credence to anything the Beaumont Emptyprise says. Lucky to get high school football scores and obituaries correct ( the only reason folks subscribe).

I too like Terry Johnson but we might not be able to afford him. He makes over $300k at Ohio State.

Yes, he is one of the higher paid assistants and would only come to Lamar for the HC opportunity, not the money.

From my research, seems like ACC & Big10 assistants make more on average and Ohio is not that expensive of a state to live in.

I tried again and got in. I do not think $300k is out the question. They joined the WAC knowing they would have to spend more.

I agree that $300k to $350k is possible, but will Johnson leave Ohio State for a small bump in pay? The Butler job was about twice that amount plus large incentives.

I agree that $300k to $350k is possible, but will Johnson leave Ohio State for a small bump in pay? The Butler job was about twice that amount plus large incentives.

This link will show you Coach Johnsons total financial package at OSU. I believe if he agrees to a couple of guarantee games a year we could afford him and his assistants.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-basketball-contract-salaries-Ryan-Pedon-Terry-Johnson-Jake-Diebler-assistant-coaches-135479861/

Edited by lamarfan360

Just saw where Jordan Mincy (asst @ Florida) has accepted Jacksonville State job today.

ESPN is reporting that OU's Lon Kruger is retiring after 45 years of coaching. The Sooners will probably look to proven Head Coaches

Edited by lamarfan360

I couldn't see the list of other people, but I don't see Johnson coming to Lamar for two reasons:

(1) He can get a better job where he's a bigger name. There are mid-majors in the Great Lakes region where Johnson is already known (and knows all the AAU coaches) so he'd hold out for one of those, if he's not drawn to one of the programs that opens this year

(2) We're paying Coach Morgan $265K. I don't see Lamar budgeting to pay the basketball coach $100K more than the football coach, when both have the moniker of "former Power Conference assistant"

I couldn't see the list of other people, but I don't see Johnson coming to Lamar for two reasons:

(1) He can get a better job where he's a bigger name. There are mid-majors in the Great Lakes region where Johnson is already known (and knows all the AAU coaches) so he'd hold out for one of those, if he's not drawn to one of the programs that opens this year

(2) We're paying Coach Morgan $265K. I don't see Lamar budgeting to pay the basketball coach $100K more than the football coach, when both have the moniker of "former Power Conference assistant"

I agree, but I think there is a possibility that the MBB coach will make slightly more than the FB coach, but within $100K of each other. I have no real data to support this except for limited information on the athletic department budget. And I am not sure about the availability of donor money since it took Marco almost a year to get the money to replace the turf in PU Stadium.

The WAC although starting FCS football is a basketball conference. If Lamar want to be a power in the WAC in basketball, they will have to pay a coach on equal terms as ACU, SFA, SHSU, GCU, NM State and others. I won't be shocked if LU pays the new coach $300k. Edited by lamarfan360

I agree, but I think there is a possibility that the MBB coach will make slightly more than the FB coach, but within $100K of each other. I have no real data to support this except for limited information on the athletic department budget. And I am not sure about the availability of donor money since it took Marco almost a year to get the money to replace the turf in PU Stadium.

I can see $300K, but not $350K+

Either way, we need to get the guy and work out the money after getting the guy. A coach that's going to haggle over "only" making $300K plus some incentives and perks (in one of the most affordable cities in America to live) isn't going to be a fit in Beaumont anyway.

Looking at the mid-major salary database, the going rate in the WAC is about $300K/year. I'd bet that will be about where the new coach lands- maybe a little less if he comes w/o head coach experience OR wasn't a big college assistant. Coaching salaries don't get recruits- winning does. Hire a winner- promise him some spiffs like for postseason play and 1st Team All-Conference and we should be in a good place.

Matt Figger was making about $250k at Austin Peay and UTRGV just hired him away so he will probably be making about $300k now.

And why do apostrophes sometimes work and sometimes not? Is that to trick us into trying to use them?

When I am on my computer the apostrophes work. It cancels out my post from the apostrophe on when I'm on my phone.