SLC Baseball Tourney

geezer

Lamar falls in it's first game to ACU by a score of 7-1. Lamar took the early lead and had as many hits as ACU, but all of Lamar's hits were singles where ACU had four doubles and two home runs. Lamar will play Sam Houston at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning in an elimination game.

Thursday morning elimination game versus Sam. Lamar scores one run in the top of the first. Sam comes back in the bottom of the inning with a two run homer to take the lead after one inning. Sam picks up a third run in the 3rd inning. Lamar gets two runs in the top of the 5th to tie the game.

Cards got a run in the top of the sixth to take the lead, but Sam got it right back with a lead off home run in the bottom of the inning. Sam got another run in the bottom of the seventh on another home run to retake the lead. 5-4

Looking back on the season obviously there are places to improve. Number one relief pitching. Is it a talent level problem or is it coaching? To some extent the same is true with the starting pitching. Number two is timely hitting. Again is it a talent or coaching problem? This one appears to perhaps fall a little more obviously as coaching. At the top of the ninth inning the announcers indicated it was a mistake to swing at the first pitch of the inning when you need to get at least two runners on base to bring the tieing run to the plate. The observation was made by a former major league player. So is this a philosophical issue or an execution issue?

Looking back on the season obviously there are places to improve. Number one relief pitching. Is it a talent level problem or is it coaching? To some extent the same is true with the starting pitching. Number two is timely hitting. Again is it a talent or coaching problem? This one appears to perhaps fall a little more obviously as coaching. At the top of the ninth inning the announcers indicated it was a mistake to swing at the first pitch of the inning when you need to get at least two runners on base to bring the tieing run to the plate. The observation was made by a former major league player. So is this a philosophical issue or an execution issue?

I think the issue is depth of talent, especially at pitcher. But this year the team was better than I saw the past 2 years. Defense was better and execution of fundamental baseball was better. Better decisions were made by the players running the bases and playing defense. Dallas was okay out of the bullpen, but everyone else seemed inconsistent. Quirion will be hard to replace, but we need some more consistent bats in the outfield too.

Best team I saw us play was SELa and we are equal to Sam and much better than SFA. But we were competitive with everyone except ACU.

I was checking out the Massey Ratings for baseball and LU was rated 204 in 2019, 171 in 2020 and 150 this year. Looks like the team is making progress each year which is what you want to see. As an aside, I was looking at the Board of Regents meeting notes and saw that the Vincent Beck renovations are coming in a year or two.