MBB versus UL-Monroe

geezer

Last chance for the Cards to get a D1 win before conference play starts. Tip-off is at 7 PM. Will be a difficult game for the Cards as ULM is 7-4 on the season with wins over fellow WAC member SFA, Southern Miss who defeated Lamar earlier and two over former Southland Conference mate Northwestern St.

Lamar up by seven at the half. 42-35. Lamar has a big edge in rebounding with eleven offensive boards to match ULM's total rebounds. Good news is Lamar has 13 points from the inside players including McClure as an inside player. Two from Catt, five from Nickerson and six for McClure. Also, Adams leads the Cards with 13. Edited by geezer

Adams came back with a knee brace and finished the game, so hopefully his injury is healed up by the time conference play starts. Cards unable to climb back from the eight-point deficit in the last two minutes, fall by three. Final score ULM 80 - Lamar 77. Turnovers and free-throw percentage cost the Cards. 18 turnovers with nine from the guards led to a seventeen-point advantage for ULM on points off of turnovers. Positives for Lamar were the play of Catt and Nickerson. Catt had four points, three rebounds and three blocked shots. Nickerson finished with ten points and eleven rebounds. McClure had a good game also with twelve points and five rebounds. Lamar will need the inside presence for conference play. Reyes didn't play at all tonight. Edited by geezer

Geezus!! These guys are damn idiots!!! Adams and Roberts trying to be freaking heroes down the stretch. I dont know how a coach can tolerate that crap! LOSER basketball!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO JUST TRY TO TAKE IT ONE VS THEIR ENTIRE DEFENSE??!!! THEY HAVE THE BASKETBALL IQ OF A TADPOLE!!!!

I would bet my house that Brooks is having attitude problems with: Buster, Adams, Harrison, and Roberts. Bunch of heroes who think they are all that. If so, I would cut em all.

You would be losing your house. There is some attitude issues, but not with the ones you just named. You dont seem to grasp the game of basketball very well. Adams had the hot hand, he pulled us to within 1 if it wasnt for a missed foul call that wouldve given us 3-4 seconds to tie the game. You have to live and die with the results. The real issue is letting Harrison from ULM open from 3 because the back side of our zone sags too far down into the paint and we cant rotate in time. We also were leaving the screener open on pick and rolls when we switched to man. Im fine with the results on offense but the defense has to step up.

Edited by 2020Vision

You would be losing your house. There is some attitude issues, but not with the ones you just named. You dont seem to grasp the game of basketball very well. Adams had the hot hand, he pulled us to within 1 if it wasnt for a missed foul call that wouldve given us 3-4 seconds to tie the game. You have to live and die with the results. The real issue is letting Harrison from ULM open from 3 because the back side of our zone sags too far down into the paint and we cant rotate in time. We also were leaving the screener open on pick and rolls when we switched to man. Im fine with the results on offense but the defense has to step up.

I would imagine I have forgotten more about basketball than you know. This is the first game in no telling how long that we played semi decent offensively. Our offensive scheme usually stinks. Poor player movement, poor ball movement, too much dribbling one on one. Usually no attempt to get the post involved. How many times a game do we run a play where a player actually has an open shot? 2, maybe 3?? You apparently have no clue about team basketball, btw turnovers and horrible shot selection are not good things. The 4 players I mentioned excel at turnovers and poor shot selection. We usually run the same exact garbage over and over; post players coming out high to usually miss/whiff on the screen (which, many times, is the fault of the point guard/ball handler for not leading the defender into the screen). Then we roll the post players down, but we do not have nba skilled post players so it is a waste attempting to roll them down. You want Carpenter or Catt catching a pass 10-12 feet from the basket running down towards the teeth of the defense? Or, 2nd play, post player fakes the high screen then tries to go screen down towards the wing, and whiffs again. As for our defense, the late rotation has been an issue the entire season. What is it called when you keep doing the same thing over and over but expect different results? Insanity. And, hmm, who are the players missing numerous games due to apparent injuries???

Edited by PeckEm

I would imagine I have forgotten more about basketball than you know. This is the first game in no telling how long that we played semi decent offensively. Our offensive scheme usually stinks. Poor player movement, poor ball movement, too much dribbling one on one. Usually no attempt to get the post involved. How many times a game do we run a play where a player actually has an open shot? 2, maybe 3?? You apparently have no clue about team basketball, btw turnovers and horrible shot selection are not good things. The 4 players I mentioned excel at turnovers and poor shot selection. We usually run the same exact garbage over and over; post players coming out high to usually miss/whiff on the screen (which, many times, is the fault of the point guard/ball handler for not leading the defender into the screen). Then we roll the post players down, but we do not have nba skilled post players so it is a waste attempting to roll them down. You want Carpenter or Catt catching a pass 10-12 feet from the basket running down towards the teeth of the defense? Or, 2nd play, post player fakes the high screen then tries to go screen down towards the wing, and whiffs again. As for our defense, the late rotation has been an issue the entire season. What is it called when you keep doing the same thing over and over but expect different results? Insanity. And, hmm, who are the players missing numerous games due to apparent injuries???

I agree, we played our best offensively since the GT game. I also agree that we have had poor ball movement before this game. I would agree with the comment about getting the post involved, but some of what we have cant catch an entry pass, so my opinion would be to do away with the traditional post and run Nickerson as a roll man, defender and let Harrison, Adams, Roberts and Smith fill out the other 4 spots. We dont have enough shooters for spacing to run the offense Brooks is wanting to run. He should get a pass on that side of the ball because he really hasnt had a chance to get the players hes wanted just yet. Hes already making his mark for next year. Defensively, its inexcuseable. I will give him credit though based on what I've personally heard from him and his players that there will be a well needed culture change. I think that should be first priority for this program. Just be patient, I think we will suprise some teams starting tonight. This is a scrappy bunch of guys.

While I agree the recovery from the sag to the three-point shooter was inadequate against Harrison, is the problem a matter of effort, by game plan the help is needed inside more or some other factor.

Edited by geezer

I agree, we played our best offensively since the GT game. I also agree that we have had poor ball movement before this game. I would agree with the comment about getting the post involved, but some of what we have cant catch an entry pass, so my opinion would be to do away with the traditional post and run Nickerson as a roll man, defender and let Harrison, Adams, Roberts and Smith fill out the other 4 spots. We dont have enough shooters for spacing to run the offense Brooks is wanting to run. He should get a pass on that side of the ball because he really hasnt had a chance to get the players hes wanted just yet. Hes already making his mark for next year. Defensively, its inexcuseable. I will give him credit though based on what I've personally heard from him and his players that there will be a well needed culture change. I think that should be first priority for this program. Just be patient, I think we will suprise some teams starting tonight. This is a scrappy bunch of guys.

Well, I disagree. Way too small and none of our guards have shown they can score with any consistency. I would like to see us trying to go bigger (although I do think Roberts, Harrison and Adams are our best three offensive players). I would like to see at least 10- 15 minutes a game with: Carpenter, Catt, Nickerson?, Adams, Harrison.

While I agree the recovery from the sag to the three-point shooter was inadequate against Harrison, is the problem a matter of effort, by game plan the help is needed inside more or some other factor.
. It happens so much, I think it is our defensive scheme. No excuse for leaving Harrison open the way he was going. If it was not scheme, we have some dimwit players.

I will also agree on average Lamar is too small, but at least one or two of the big guys have to be able to handle the ball well and score somewhat effectively from mid-range. That may come as McClure, and the other bigs continue to improve and another recruiting class or two come in. Height at Lamar's current position in the college basketball world usually comes as a project.