LU Back to the SLC!!

coachacola

LU cannot compete against decent competition so back to the SLC. Now Brooks can get his 15 wins a season!

Right: Dixie State, Tarleton State, Chicago State, California Baptist, UT Rio Grande....it's a conference loaded with virtual powerhouses. Why would we leave that awesomeness??!!! IT WAS A STUPID DAMN MOVE FROM THE WORD GO. THANK GOD WE HAVE AN ADULT SOMEWHERE WHO REALIZED HOW IDIOTIC IT WAS!!!

If Lamar wants to be even more of a laughingstock, then by all means go back to the SLC for the third time. Really, when since the return to the SLC in what about 2000, was Lamar really consistently competitive? Never. Yes, the move to the WAC might not look that good today but I believe the opportunities to improve the Lamar brand are much better in the WAC than they were in the SLC. The truth is Lamar has suffered from poor leadership for many, many years. Jimmy Simmons was trying to improve Lamar and was making strides. I would almost guarantee he would have been in favor of the move to the WAC. The last President, I would label as neutral, but before Simmons it wasn't good.

Doing this without an Athletic Director really tells how bad the leadership at Lamar is. Travel expense is a poor excuse as the cost to go to Greely Colorado for a non-conference FCS game isn't much different than the once year trip to Utah for an FCS conference game.

Doing this without an Athletic Director really tells how bad the leadership at Lamar is. Travel expense is a poor excuse as the cost to go to Greely Colorado for a non-conference FCS game isn't much different than the once year trip to Utah for an FCS conference game.

how bout hauling mens and womens basketball all over the country?

LU cannot compete against decent competition so back to the SLC. Now Brooks can get his 15 wins a season!

I'll support Big Red regardless.

Prudent really to go back.

if you're 18th ranked (WAC) or 30th ranked (SLC) they're both 1 bid basketball leagues. Why throw away money on the WAC.

I'll bet a bunch of money that the WAC never plays an FBS schedule as stated.

Sam Houston will be the newest pitiful FBS team joining perpetual loser New Mexico St in that dubious category.

CUSA is sinking fast. All you need to know is Marshall, ODU, & Southern Miss are all bailing out for the more stable Sun Belt. (Read that sentence again!)

History does repeat itself. While other schools jump from a lower conference to a higher conference and then to an even higher conference, LU jumps to a higher conference, then back down to the SLC, back up again, then back down. And we all wonder why LU athletics sucks after all these years.

History does repeat itself. While other schools jump from a lower conference to a higher conference and then to an even higher conference, LU jumps to a higher conference, then back down to the SLC, back up again, then back down. And we all wonder why LU athletics sucks after all these years.

I think we know why, it's the administration. Simmons was all about improving sports and restarting football. The next one was still supportive, but didn't get a good AD and looks like listened to donors when it came to hiring for major sports. The current President reminds me of the one that killed football in 1989.

I think we know why, it's the administration. Simmons was all about improving sports and restarting football. The next one was still supportive, but didn't get a good AD and looks like listened to donors when it came to hiring for major sports. The current President reminds me of the one that killed football in 1989.

From all indications it looks as if Dr. Taylor and his wife are huge sports fans.

They already travel all over the country, check out the past schedules. Golf was in the Seattle area this week for a tourney, not related to conference.

refresh my memory. When did basketball go to seattle, California, utah, arizona and new mexico for conference games?

If Lamar wants to be even more of a laughingstock, then by all means go back to the SLC for the third time. Really, when since the return to the SLC in what about 2000, was Lamar really consistently competitive? Never. Yes, the move to the WAC might not look that good today but I believe the opportunities to improve the Lamar brand are much better in the WAC than they were in the SLC. The truth is Lamar has suffered from poor leadership for many, many years. Jimmy Simmons was trying to improve Lamar and was making strides. I would almost guarantee he would have been in favor of the move to the WAC. The last President, I would label as neutral, but before Simmons it wasn't good.

The move to the WAC was an assinine decision. We followed SFA and SHSU like a lil puppy. The SLC teams that joined were basically the new WAC football conference (SFA, SHSU, LU, ACU, then you throw in Tarleton and Dixie State? WTH?!!) So changing from the SLC to the WAC with the same teams makes you a better brand? Yes, LU has suffered from poor leadership and poor decision making...over and over and over again. This definitely is not one of those times. I'm actually a little surprised we had someone with the balls to admit that it was a bad decision and head back to the SLC. Who won the WAC basketball championship? N.M. State - a school that's leaving. Who won the football title? Sam Houston....a school that's leaving. Schools w/o football: almost every non-Texas WAC member. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! I hope that SFA, maybe Tarleton, and one or 2 others head to the SLC as well.

(Franklin and McGlaughlin destroyed the university. Maybe in another 50 years LU will recover.)

refresh my memory. When did basketball go to seattle, California, utah, arizona and new mexico for conference games?

Can't say that I can recall men's basketball going to the state of Washington, but I distinctly remember going to Pepperdine a few years back and I know they have gone other places also. I believe within the last eight years they traveled to Utah for a game with BYU.

Can't say that I can recall men's basketball going to the state of Washington, but I distinctly remember going to Pepperdine a few years back and I know they have gone other places also. I believe within the last eight years they traveled to Utah for a game with BYU.

conference games, geezer

you seriously dont think travel in the Wack is more costly than the southland?

The move to the WAC was an assinine decision. We followed SFA and SHSU like a lil puppy. The SLC teams that joined were basically the new WAC football conference (SFA, SHSU, LU, ACU, then you throw in Tarleton and Dixie State? WTH?!!) So changing from the SLC to the WAC with the same teams makes you a better brand? Yes, LU has suffered from poor leadership and poor decision making...over and over and over again. This definitely is not one of those times. I'm actually a little surprised we had someone with the balls to admit that it was a bad decision and head back to the SLC. Who won the WAC basketball championship? N.M. State - a school that's leaving. Who won the football title? Sam Houston....a school that's leaving. Schools w/o football: almost every non-Texas WAC member. STUPID STUPID STUPID!!! I hope that SFA, maybe Tarleton, and one or 2 others head to the SLC as well.

(Franklin and McGlaughlin destroyed the university. Maybe in another 50 years LU will recover.)

but UTA is joining!

people think its a great conference cuz they may have heard of it 20 years ago when it was relevant

hello. Byu and boise st. are gone

conference games, geezer

you seriously dont think travel in the Wack is more costly than the southland?

When I look at costs, I look at the whole thing. Sure, the Cards had never traveled west of Texas for a conference game before this past year but that didn't change the budget that much because it is still just a road game. The opportunity was available for Lamar to play closer to home games in the non-conference if the budget was an issue. How about football going to Hawaii about six years ago. Granted, Hawaii probably paid for the travel expense as they are an FBS school, but it still a long trip. My point is the change in travel cost couldn't justify the move back to the SLC. I would say it had more to do with the rivalry with McNeese than expenses.

I wonder if any of the players that have previously committed to Lamar Basketball will decommit with this move. Perception of the WAC in southeast Texas may not be that great, but it might make a difference to players.

Omg. Lol. You actually think ANY of these guys signed because of the WAC?!!! We get to play Dixie State and California Baptist?!! Where do I sign?!! Lol.

I know the original comment on this thread was referring to men's basketball, but for any that think Lamar can't compete with the current schools in the WAC, let me remind you when was the last time the men's basketball program won a regular season in the SLC. By the way congratulations to the men's tennis team on defeating NMSU and capturing the WAC regular season championship. Lamar didn't ask me, and I don't have enough money to buy influence but I for one think with the right leadership and the right coach Lamar could have won many championships in the WAC. I am not just referring to men's basketball. The baseball team is still sitting tied for the division lead going into today. They may fall apart before the season is over but again, I believe there is improvement and if it continues Lamar would have done just fine in baseball.

UIW is staying in the WAC and increasing their budget to $22 million. San Antonio and Abilene are probably considered western schools, along with UTRGV, so them staying in the WAC makes sense.

Tarleton State is making things happen and UTA makes for a travel partner. What will SFA do? Probably stay because they are now what LU once was, a good mid-major basketball school. The WAC is a top 15 basketball conference.

Lamar going to the SLC means they save money, get to play rival McNeese every year, and gives the athletic department time to regroup.

Actually football and baseball is probably just as good or better in the SLC than in the WAC, just basketball is a major downgrade. But the WAC is not a 2 bid conference anyway so maybe that does not matter much.

I know the original comment on this thread was referring to men's basketball, but for any that think Lamar can't compete with the current schools in the WAC, let me remind you when was the last time the men's basketball program won a regular season in the SLC. By the way congratulations to the men's tennis team on defeating NMSU and capturing the WAC regular season championship. Lamar didn't ask me, and I don't have enough money to buy influence but I for one think with the right leadership and the right coach Lamar could have won many championships in the WAC. I am not just referring to men's basketball. The baseball team is still sitting tied for the division lead going into today. They may fall apart before the season is over but again, I believe there is improvement and if it continues Lamar would have done just fine in baseball.

Well, that's kinda why I thought the move was idiotic to begin with. The WAC is no big upgrade by any stretch of the imagination. Grand Canyon and New Mexico State typically have good basketball but other than that (I dont think Seattle has historically been very good?)?? In reality, the better WAC athletic programs are/were the ones that left the SLC (minus our football and basketball teams). And, when SHSU and NMSU announced they were going to leave...what's the point in us staying? Not much. I dont give one rats arse about becoming FBS in football...we are so far away from that it's not even funny but it seems to me, the SLC is closer to that ever happening than the WAC. (And again, it wont happen with the SLC and thats perfectly fine by me but it likely wont happen with the WAC either). (Oh, and you watch what Kerwin Bell ends up doing with West Carolina and you will see how close we were to having good football....but we hired the WRONG guy!)

UIW is staying in the WAC and increasing their budget to $22 million. San Antonio and Abilene are probably considered western schools, along with UTRGV, so them staying in the WAC makes sense.

Tarleton State is making things happen and UTA makes for a travel partner. What will SFA do? Probably stay because they are now what LU once was, a good mid-major basketball school. The WAC is a top 15 basketball conference.

Lamar going to the SLC means they save money, get to play rival McNeese every year, and gives the athletic department time to regroup.

Actually football and baseball is probably just as good or better in the SLC than in the WAC, just basketball is a major downgrade. But the WAC is not a 2 bid conference anyway so maybe that does not matter much.

The WAC is losing SHSU and NMSU so I'm not so certain that even SLC basketball is a major downgrade. Like you said, they are both one bid conferences anyway.