LU Back to the SLC!!

coachacola

Yep, I got more to say! In my opinion, it does not matter what conference we are going up to or down, the AD makes that decision. The AD is supposed to have the athletics department best interest. I am sure that I do not know everything a D1 AD has to consider when changing conferences. With that said, if el presidente is making that call then maybe we should get rid of the athletic director position and use the money elsewhere. Ludicrous huh, I agree! I am not sure why we left the SLC in the first place. I guess we were just being followers. Going to the WAC for two years and then going back to the SLC makes us looks weak and indecisive. Maybe we can win a football/MBB game back in the SLC. I am not sure who we can beat, but maybe

Yep, I got more to say! In my opinion, it does not matter what conference we are going up to or down, the AD makes that decision. The AD is supposed to have the athletics department best interest. I am sure that I do not know everything a D1 AD has to consider when changing conferences. With that said, if el presidente is making that call then maybe we should get rid of the athletic director position and use the money elsewhere. Ludicrous huh, I agree! I am not sure why we left the SLC in the first place. I guess we were just being followers. Going to the WAC for two years and then going back to the SLC makes us looks weak and indecisive. Maybe we can win a football/MBB game back in the SLC. I am not sure who we can beat, but maybe

The AD was a disaster. Admitting you made a mistake and correcting it is far from weak. Unfortunately, it takes enormous balls. Major kudos to Taylor for having watermelon nads and correcting a major bonehead decision. Who knows, if UTRGV, Cal Baptist, Chicago state, Seattle, Grand Canyon, etc had a football team maybe we could beat them. (But its the WAC! Whoopity dippity shit). We dont currently have an athletic director to make the decision and if we did it doesnt matter. If you are the President Id assume the buck stops with you. Good bye WAC, good bye Evans, good bye Born..and good riddance to all!!! (FYI, not long ago we could beat SHSU, SFA, ACU, UIW, etc. Get rid of Morgan and we will get there again)

Peckem, do not get me wrong, I know where the buck stops. I would assume the President of the university has bigger fish to fry than playing conference hopscotch, but I would think we bring in someone who can figure out the big picture for our athletic dept. first order of business, get an AD. Then work on what conference best fits LU. I agree Born was arrogant and in over his head from day one. I just think we figure out our AD situation before we make another big move. Plus, I am sure we will have to pay to leave. That is a lot of money we have donated to buy outs that could have gone elsewhere, booster payoff or not. I am sure some of you college football historians can tell when another college team switches conferences without an AD. Maybe I just do not understand how it works. IMO, first an AD, then make your conference move.

Whether any of us personally thought the move to the WAC was good or bad, Taylor told us he did not make the decision but someone outside of the university with money did. No, he did not say those words exactly, but that is what I read between the lines. I would venture to say that explains why the athletic department stinks. Probably that same small group okays the hires based on something other than their athletics potential. Remember, Price besides being a cost saving move to payoff Knights' contract was liked by the boosters. If you had paid any attention to his teams at McNeese, you knew mediocre was the best you were going to get. The worst part of announcing a return to the Southland after less than a year in the WAC is it probably closes the door to a chance to get to a better conference in the future. Would you invite Lamar to your conference knowing it left the Southland twice only to return?

Peckem, do not get me wrong, I know where the buck stops. I would assume the President of the university has bigger fish to fry than playing conference hopscotch, but I would think we bring in someone who can figure out the big picture for our athletic dept. first order of business, get an AD. Then work on what conference best fits LU. I agree Born was arrogant and in over his head from day one. I just think we figure out our AD situation before we make another big move. Plus, I am sure we will have to pay to leave. That is a lot of money we have donated to buy outs that could have gone elsewhere, booster payoff or not. I am sure some of you college football historians can tell when another college team switches conferences without an AD. Maybe I just do not understand how it works. IMO, first an AD, then make your conference move.

I understand your logic and I suppose my opinion is skewed since I thought it was an idiotic move to begin with. We have done that kind of STUPID CRAP in the past. What is the saying about the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result. Bottom line, we have not even remotely shown we should be an FBS level football team. FCS has very good and very entertaining football. The SLC has been a very good FCS football league. Lets just PLEASE stay in our lane and put an end to the delusional bs. If we can establish ourselves as a really good FCS level team then maybe we consider a move up. But damn, we will NEVER be an LSU, UT, or A&M. And I have zero problem with that. On the basketball side, winning an NCAA tournament game is our equivalence of a national championship. And I am fine with that too. But we cannot even win a friggin division one game. Geez, seems so obvious to me. As bad as we have been, we probably shoukd feel fortunate the SLC would have us back.

Whether any of us personally thought the move to the WAC was good or bad, Taylor told us he did not make the decision but someone outside of the university with money did. No, he did not say those words exactly, but that is what I read between the lines. I would venture to say that explains why the athletic department stinks. Probably that same small group okays the hires based on something other than their athletics potential. Remember, Price besides being a cost saving move to payoff Knights' contract was liked by the boosters. If you had paid any attention to his teams at McNeese, you knew mediocre was the best you were going to get. The worst part of announcing a return to the Southland after less than a year in the WAC is it probably closes the door to a chance to get to a better conference in the future. Would you invite Lamar to your conference knowing it left the Southland twice only to return?

I am afraid this is 100% correct. Big donors probably making decisions they should just stay out of.

LU cannot compete against decent competition so back to the SLC. Now Brooks can get his 15 wins a season!

Well Coach, you and I for the most part are the only ones who think alike on this issue. Small vision leadership always get small results. Lamar, and the Golden Triangle, have always had very small minded leadership. They always aim low and they always hit their low target!! in my 63 years and 46 years of following LU sports, only Jimmy Simmons big vision. He just got the job to late to have enough time to elevate the Athletic program to a higher plane. But he did move it to a much better spot than it was.

There is so much to say here, but I am losing the passion to lay it all out. Moving back to the SLC is not a good move. The WAC may not be the "be all end all". But it has a better chance of being something than the SLC.

It just seems like the leadership we hire are nice people who just want a maintenance job and a paycheck. They do not want to build anything or take risks.

You get what you aim at. LU athletics is not going to win the lottery and just wake up some day and be relevant.

Well Coach, you and I for the most part are the only ones who think alike on this issue. Small vision leadership always get small results. Lamar, and the Golden Triangle, have always had very small minded leadership. They always aim low and they always hit their low target!! in my 63 years and 46 years of following LU sports, only Jimmy Simmons big vision. He just got the job to late to have enough time to elevate the Athletic program to a higher plane. But he did move it to a much better spot than it was.

There is so much to say here, but I am losing the passion to lay it all out. Moving back to the SLC is not a good move. The WAC may not be the "be all end all". But it has a better chance of being something than the SLC.

It just seems like the leadership we hire are nice people who just want a maintenance job and a paycheck. They do not want to build anything or take risks.

You get what you aim at. LU athletics is not going to win the lottery and just wake up some day and be relevant.

What do you actually know about the athletic programs in the WAC? What makes you remotely think they'll ever be anything special?

Was it small minded to build the Montagne center? Have you seen our facilities compared to most every program in the WAC? Hell, have you seen the SLC facilities compared to the WAC? Was leaving the Southland the first time 'small minded'. You know, when we canceled football to become a basketball powerhouse. How'd that end up working out for us and the University overall? (Answer - it virtually destroyed the university).

All this pie in the sky crap. Have you been to any LU athletic events? If so, what would make you REMOTELY think we'll ever be an FBS power? What would ever make you think we'd even be a competetive FBS football team? And with these new NIL rules it's only going to get worse. A&M spent approximately 25 MILLION on theIR recruiting class. You got 20 million plus to fork over to be in the conversation with that? You think the WAC makes us relevant? Good lord almighty, it's a crap of a league with the only semi-respectable thing being a couple of ex-SLC schools. It's 2 best programs are already leaving (and one of the those just left the 'lowly' SLC). We haven't even proven we can be consistently successful in the SLC. What, you think the SEC is going to give us an invite if we stay in the WAC? FCS athletics are very good. The Southland has one of the best FCS football conferences in the country and we left it? COMPLETE AND TOTAL INCOMPETENCE!! Thank God, apparently we finally have an adult in charge. (btw, I think Simmons was the press conference in support of the return to the SLC).

And the biggest thing wrong wtih the Golden Triangle is the attitude of the people that live here.

And that is not changing anytime soon. If anything it is getting worse. Crime, corruption, with no end in sight.

Well, that's part of it but that's not what I'm talking about. "It's boring. Beaumont sucks. Austin is awesome. There's nothing to do here. The fans suck. LU sucks. Everywhere else is better." We are full of negative attitude wannabes. Bunch of people who flunked out of LU and run around in LSU, ATM, Alabama shirts calling them 'my school'.

Fyi, towns aren't boring...people are. You want to have fun, you can. You want to be a negative, never do nothing but complain, lump on a log...you can do that too. We seem to be full of the latter.