Mississippi Valley State Game Thread

geezer

Lamar takes on Miss Valley Saturday at 6 PM.  Miss Valley fell to Tenn St in their opening game in a battle of FCS schools.  It is a home game against a FCS school so Lamar should be slightly favored.  Keys for Lamar in my opinion are reducing the penalties, moving the ball consistently on offense and the d-line controlling the line of scrimmage.  O-line needs to block better than last week to give Coleman time to get passes off and open holes for the backs to get to the second level.  

One other observation, from the evidence I see through through last season and 1 game this year against a Group of 5 team who thinks they are better than everyone, Rossomondo is a quality coach and a great hire for LU. I think he can get us in the FCS playoffs and win consistently at Lamar, for as long as we can keep him!

Lamar up 21-7 at the half.  Should probably be one or two more scores for Lamar but the penalties are killing consistency.  Lamar has eleven penalties for 105 yards.  Early in the game it was the defense, but by now the penalties are getting close to equal between the offense and the defense.  Example, Lamar got the ball back with 1:20 left in the game, started to move the ball but then had a false start and two holding penalties to force just running the clock out.

Lamar defense makes a big stop in the fourth quarter on a fourth and one play to get the ball back with 6:10 left in the game.  Lamar drives down the field before a penalty pushes them back.  A face mask penalty on MV gives LU a first down and Griffin scores to extend their lead to 28-14 with 1:04 left.

If you had the over for penalty yards, you're a winner.  Lamar was penalized EIGHTEEN TIMES for 154 yards!  If those aren't school records I'm glad I didn't see the game that beats those numbers.  Sadly, I did see this one.

Mannnn, this game was fugly

and I’ll say it, even tho MY Flying Puddin offense has zero running plays,LU threw 30 too many passes. Mvst couldnt stop Griffin. 197 yds rushing! Dude is a total badass.

run d was good, pass d sucked. Oline needs to get it together. Qb needs to step it up. Wr/te too many drops.

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If you had the over for penalty yards, you're a winner.  Lamar was penalized EIGHTEEN TIMES for 154 yards!  If those aren't school records I'm glad I didn't see the game that beats those numbers.  Sadly, I did see this one.

I heard Rossamundo called em the most undisciplined team in fcs? At half.

thats on him

You know, I watched the game on ESPN +. I noticed the down and distance displayed was almost always wrong. The broadcast was not good, but at least I could watch the game. My post is about all the penalties we had. Because I watched on ESPN +, they did not replay and show the specific player commit the penalty.  I wonder how subjective the officiating was against us. However, I did see a player for MVSU take a swing at one of our lineman during our last touchdown play. He did it right in front of a ref and there was no call. The announcers reacted when it happened, but just like the official, they let it go.