OFFICIAL: Herschel Sims now a Lamar Cardinal

Mike

The only thing I'm going to add is that Sims plead not-guilty.

My bad. I misread the article, but he admitted to everyone that he stole the money. Its a felony. Mr. Ambassador, if he stole it from you and was not an athlete would you say, "well its ok, I will hire him and give him a second chance running the cash register at my business"?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what is wrong with society today. You have a student athlete who is given a free ride to a major school because he can play football. He decides to steal $700 from a teamate by committing felonies and admitted to it. You guys are willing to give him a pass because can potentially make the "Lamar Football Program" better. Come on give me a break. This is flatout ridiculous. Not that this kid did anything in comparison to Jerry Sundusky, but "The Program" was way more important than the lives of young boys being raped by Sandusky. Everyone turned their heads and looked what happened. It happened over and over. So on a much smaller scale, you have a kid who chose, not mistakenly, but chose to steal money from his teamate and OSU does the right thing and tells him to pack his bags. Now the ALUM of Lamar is supposed to be supportive? I hardly think so. We do not want to start down this road and should be ashamed of our administrators for allowing it. This young man has admittedly committed a felony and entered a plea of guilty. At least let him pay for his crime before he is granted a second chance. I am all for second chances, but this is not a second chance, its an opportunity to run from problems without facing the consequences of the past. Second chances come after the consequences of the first chance failures.

It's ridiculous that you compare this situation to what Sandusky did at Penn State. You say you're not comparing this to Sandusky but then you turn around and do just that.

I bet you haven't read anything about what happened or you would know that he plead not guilty. You already want him to pay for a crime that he hasn't even been convicted of yet. At least try to do some research before posting such a long rant.

Sims is having to face the legal system. Nobody at Lamar is trying to get Sims out from under these charges or trying to "cover up" anything, they are giving him a second chance to earn a degree and play football. In case you haven't noticed, Lamar game Oden a second chance but he blew that opportunity and now he's gone. Same thing will happen to Sims.

It's at the big BCS football schools where most of these problems occur. Schools like Lamar give these kids a second chance and most of them take advantage of it. I would be concerned if these problems were happening at Lamar, but you seem more concerned about Lamar giving these guys a second chance.

This is what is wrong with society today. You have a student athlete who is given a free ride to a major school because he can play football. He decides to steal $700 from a teamate by committing felonies and admitted to it. You guys are willing to give him a pass because can potentially make the "Lamar Football Program" better. Come on give me a break. This is flatout ridiculous. Not that this kid did anything in comparison to Jerry Sundusky, but "The Program" was way more important than the lives of young boys being raped by Sandusky. Everyone turned their heads and looked what happened. It happened over and over. So on a much smaller scale, you have a kid who chose, not mistakenly, but chose to steal money from his teamate and OSU does the right thing and tells him to pack his bags. Now the ALUM of Lamar is supposed to be supportive? I hardly think so. We do not want to start down this road and should be ashamed of our administrators for allowing it. This young man has admittedly committed a felony and entered a plea of guilty. At least let him pay for his crime before he is granted a second chance. I am all for second chances, but this is not a second chance, its an opportunity to run from problems without facing the consequences of the past. Second chances come after the consequences of the first chance failures.

It's ridiculous that you compare this situation to what Sandusky did at Penn State. You say you're not comparing this to Sandusky but then you turn around and do just that.

I bet you haven't read anything about what happened or you would know that he plead not guilty. You already want him to pay for a crime that he hasn't even been convicted of yet. At least try to do some research before posting such a long rant.

Sims is having to face the legal system. Nobody at Lamar is trying to get Sims out from under these charges or trying to "cover up" anything, they are giving him a second chance to earn a degree and play football. In case you haven't noticed, Lamar game Oden a second chance but he blew that opportunity and now he's gone. Same thing will happen to Sims.

It's at the big BCS football schools where most of these problems occur. Schools like Lamar give these kids a second chance and most of them take advantage of it. I would be concerned if these problems were happening at Lamar, but you seem more concerned about Lamar giving these guys a second chance.

I actually did read the article you jacka$$. I just misread it. And no i did not compare him to Sandusky, or maybe if you read my "long rant" you could easily see the part about the program being almighty. Also, its not a second chance if he has not paid his dues for his first chance failure. you guys kill me at how much integrity you would give up to win. Unexplainable.

I actually did read the article you jacka$$. I just misread it. And no i did not compare him to Sandusky, or maybe if you read my "long rant" you could easily see the part about the program being almighty. Also, its not a second chance if he has not paid his dues for his first chance failure. you guys kill me at how much integrity you would give up to win. Unexplainable.

You absolutely did compare the two situations or there wouldn't have been any point in bringing it up. You're saying football at Penn State was more important than kids getting raped, so now Lamar is starting to go down the same path by signing Sims.

And if you did read more than one short article about Sims, you would know his side of the story and that he just didn't decide to steal the money out of the blue. It's not that black and white. And why should Lamar also punish this kid if he's already dealing with the legal system? He won't get much of a second chance if he has to wait a few years while he pays his debt to society before he can play football again.

It's easy for a program like OSU to take the high road and dismiss Sims. They'll sign more just like him every year so why do they care what happens to him? Haven't you noticed that every year there's a stream of players getting into trouble at these big schools? It's up to schools like Lamar to bring these guys in and give them a second chance to turn things around. The big schools won't do that because they see these players as replaceable.

i fell osu had no other choice than to dismiss sims because of just the accusation of theft. right or wrong he likely would never be trusted again by teammates and it couldve caused a locker room issue and with talent on top of talent at osu they just reload. saying this lamar is the beneficiary of this decision by gundy.

I actually did read the article you jacka$$.

You're obvously not the choir boy you make yourself out to be. Let me know if your season tickets are now up for sale. I would like to buy them.

I am one of those guys that believe in an eye for an eye, but as long as he repays the money and follows the courts orders, I believe he would have paid his dues and should be cleared to continue his life in football. If he was an habitual offender I would not be on board with the decision.

Once again...I can't wait to see Sim's in Cardinal Red!!!

Guest NorthoftheBorder

You absolutely did compare the two situations or there wouldn't have been any point in bringing it up. You're saying football at Penn State was more important than kids getting raped, so now Lamar is starting to go down the same path by signing Sims.

And if you did read more than one short article about Sims, you would know his side of the story and that he just didn't decide to steal the money out of the blue. It's not that black and white. And why should Lamar also punish this kid if he's already dealing with the legal system? He won't get much of a second chance if he has to wait a few years while he pays his debt to society before he can play football again.

It's easy for a program like OSU to take the high road and dismiss Sims. They'll sign more just like him every year so why do they care what happens to him? Haven't you noticed that every year there's a stream of players getting into trouble at these big schools? It's up to schools like Lamar to bring these guys in and give them a second chance to turn things around. The big schools won't do that because they see these players as replaceable.

Correct me is I am wrong but it seems to me that is he were convicted and had to serve some time, then that could very well prevent him from being able to suit up and play, and therefore you would get your wish and it would play out the way you hope it does. I don't think that Ray Woodard will have any influence over what a judge decides in Oklahoma! If he satisfies the requirements of the legal system and in doing so he is able to go to school and play football, then he has met his obligation and given a second chance to move forward with his life. As I would want for all kids, athletes or not, I hope Herschel Sims has learned from this and it makes him a much better person and all of society benefits.

No use arguing the point any further, he is now a Cardinal. Lets get behind him and treat him as such.

I think the staff will keep a close eye on him and if something happens he will be gone. Bottom Line.

Worst case scenario: He screws up again and gets kicked off the team.

Best Case scenario: He gets his act together, helps us win games, brings attendance up and puts us in the position to make a playoff run. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this case.

Now lets all try to sit back and enjoy the fact that we have an outstanding talent playing for us that will give LU the possibility to compete this year and will bring excitement to our field.

WELCOME TO LU MR. SIMS, GOOD LUCK, WE ARE BEHIND YOU!

PECK EM!!

Still need to be good up front. We lost Campbell and Oden and im not sure what we got coming in. That is the key for Sims. If we are decent up front and WR play is up to par as it was last yr, keep the QB healthy and we will be a play off contender in the SLC. Cant wait

Cplatt

No use arguing the point any further, he is now a Cardinal. Lets get behind him and treat him as such.

I think the staff will keep a close eye on him and if something happens he will be gone. Bottom Line.

Worst case scenario: He screws up again and gets kicked off the team.

Best Case scenario: He gets his act together, helps us win games, brings attendance up and puts us in to position to make a playoff run. I think to pros outweigh the cons in this case.

Now lets all try to sit back and enjoy the fact that we have an outstanding talent playing for us that will give LU the possibility to compete this year and will bring excitement to our field.

WELCOME TO LU MR. SIMS, GOOD LUCK, WE ARE BEHIND YOU!

PECK EM!!

+1

first of all, we lost nothing up front. oden and campbell, considering their "size and talent" did not impress me at all. having to replace them may be a little bit of a problem but i think whoever the replacements are will be much more help. Oden for sure, he acted like he didnt wanna play for us anyways.

Still we lost 2 starters and you said ur self it might be a bit of a problem......Enough said

Actually I think 3 OL starters are gone from last year. Didn't Cameron Epple start in all 11 games last year? Kyle Gillam and Sean Robertson are the only 2 starters back, along with Emone Bailey who started a few games. Since the OL was a weak spot last year, Woodard brought in an experienced OL coach (McKnight), so we'll see if that pays off. The returning players should be better because of better coaching and another year of experience behind them (Gillam, Bailey and Babin were all sophomores last year).

I see you guys as a year away from competing for the slc title. I think yall are probably a 4th or 5th place team this season while your new assets gel and the new coaches get a chance to make changes and then you set the slc on fire. Any less and woodard should prolly worry a little about his job.

I see you guys as a year away from competing for the slc title. I think yall are probably a 4th or 5th place team this season while your new assets gel and the new coaches get a chance to make changes and then you set the slc on fire. Any less and woodard should prolly worry a little about his job.

I agree with that though I can see us a little higher if a couple of bounces go our way. We are probably still a year away. But it's still fun to think about though.

I agree with that though I can see us a little higher if a couple of bounces go our way. We are probably still a year away. But it's still fun to think about though.

I agree. 3rd to 5th is absolutely reasonable.

Guest BigRed2010
Any less and woodard should prolly worry a little about his job.

I don't think Coach Woodard has anything to worry about. He is starting a Division I school from scratch in the state of Texas.He just needs some time. Actually, he's done pretty good. It will take him some time to catch up to SFA and SHSU. He's getting there. Lamar will catch up. You guys are doing really good, but it won't last forever. SFA has done well lately, but that won't last forever, either. I was pulling for you guys to beat North Dakota State in the FCS championship game. I hope y'all would do the same if we get there someday, also. Good luck, this upcoming season. Maybe, you guys can beat Baylor or A&M this year. We're pulling for you guys. Hopefully, you are pulling for us to beat Louisiana-Lafayette and Hawaii.

Guest bigred360

Man, this is great news for Lamar and a new beginning for Herschel Sims. Let's give this kid a chance to prove he deserves another chance and support him through this. We've all made poor choices in life if we want to admit that is another story! Welcome to Lamar University Herschel Sims!

Oh, and I've recently moved and don't have internet yet and I've been dealing with my mom who is having surgery in the morning. I will be more active on the board again once things straighten out in my life...

Guest CardAmbassador

2 things-

--with Sims signing...y'all throwing garret,venson and harmon under the bus?

---the earlier post re: where we finish.......Sam is a lock :(, and we cant stop SFA's passing :o..I think 3rd is in reach 8)

The signing of Harris, Handy and Richards put those guys jobs in danger too. We have alot of talented freshmen coming in this year. Best 3 will see the most time. Sims is probably a lock so it will be interesting to see how that position shapes up.

2 things-

---the earlier post re: where we finish.......Sam is a lock :(, and we cant stop SFA's passing :o..I think 3rd is in reach 8)

Who said that? I'd assume DePauldrick Garrett is still listed as the starter until we see all the guys and new guys show up for practices that begin August 6th.

On Sims....I've said it plenty of times but in my opinion if Lamar University has the opportunity to sign a guy who was top 10 in the state with 3-years eligibility remaining I think a chance must be taken. It's a low risk high reward situation. You stated on another thread that LU's only brought in a couple guys with prior issues and non have had issues in Beaumont so lets just hope for the best with Sims.

Guest BigRed2010

2 things-

puddin tane, No one is throwing those guys under the bus. We are going to be fine. Let's give this a chance. I think in year four, we will be right there with Sam, and SFA. Please give Coach Woodard a chance. We will be okay. You gotta believe! Puddin we will be okay!